Amcrest PTZ

Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am looking to purchase my first PTZ camera for the front of my house to watch my driveway. I have found this on eBay and it looks to be a good deal and also a good camera. Anybody have any comments?

Amcrest ProHD 1080P POE Outdoor PTZ IP Camera (12x Optical Zoom) Speed Dome 856099007754 | eBay
For about that price I'd go with the
SD49225T-HN 2MP 25x Starlight IR PTZ Network Camera ONVIF English Version
  1. ..
Welcome @Todd Wingerson

The Amcrest PTZ: ProHD 1080P POE Outdoor PTZ IP Camera (12x Optical Zoom) Speed Dome
is a good camera.

It is a Dahua OEM 2MP starlight iirc, Amcrest just rebrands and provides support. It is similar to the 25x one which Cameraguy mentions.

Note all of these outdoor PTZ cameras are larger than you might expect from the pictures.

Remember to look at the various reviews here by others on Dahua OEM PTZ models - the Amcrest will probably be related or rebranded from the Dahua OEM SD49212T-HN model. Note the "12" = 12x

Also if you buy from Amcrest, remember to chat with them - sometimes they can give you a slight discount. I've also seen some of the Amcrest outdoor PTZ cameras go on Amazon Lightning deals.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm already stretching my budget and that camera is listed $100 more than the one I posted.
HI @Todd Wingerson

If you're on a tight budget, keep an eye on the Amazon page(s) from Amcrest - and sign up for their newsletter. Sometimes you can find a significant discount on their outdoor PTZ cameras.

Also contact Andy ( EmpireTech - see the vendor section ) and see how much he has the Dahua OEM versions available.

$325 btw is a very good price for the Dahua 49225

If you do not need a PTZ consider a varifocal that you can better capture the entrance to your driveway.

Reaction score
Good info. Here is a camera shot of what I'm trying to capture better. I want to watch my cars at night but also watch who is coming to the mailboxes during the day. I was thinking leaving the camera still during the day and then Rome at night.

Attachments

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Study the wiki at the top of the page.
You need two, maybe 3 cams to cover your driveway properly. Then another cam just to watch your mailbox if you need a closeup view.
Trying to do too much with too few cams will miss what happens.
A PTZ only works if you are manually controlling all the time, or else there is a very high probability it will be looking the wrong way when something happens. More fixed cams almost always trumps a PTZ.

Reaction score
Hmm.got me thinking now. Maybe my idea of patrolling at night and watching mailbox during the day is not going to work. Just wondering if I'm going to overload my system with too many cameras.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hmm.got me thinking now. Maybe my idea of patrolling at night and watching mailbox during the day is not going to work. Just wondering if I'm going to overload my system with too many cameras.
Hi Todd,

Don't worry if you end up with more cameras - often when we start we imagine needing less than we really do to meet our functional goals.

dalepa

Reaction score
I have 4 SD49225T-HN for 3 years now from Empire Andy. They are solid performers. Haven't found a better 25x deal in this price range. I`m in the market for a 5th 25x with autotracking (of wildlife) and was hoping for a 4k 25x autotracking in this price range soon.