amcrest starter system

Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Generally the Amcrest 8MP cameras use a 1/2.8" or 1/2.7" sensor. That makes them relatively blind at night. You'd be better served, IMHO, buying a decent camera or two and an NVR from Andy at EmpireTech, a forum member, or from the IPCT store.

Start out by looking in the WiKi in the blue bar at the top of the page. There's a ton of very useful information in there and it needs to be viewed on a computer, not a phone or tablet. The Cliff Notes will be of particular interest although the camera models listed there are a generation old at this point. The best way to determine what kind of camera you need in each location and where each location should really be is to buy one varifocal camera first and set up a test stand for it that can be easily moved around. Test using that, viewing using the web interface of the camera, during the day and at night. Have someone walk around behaving like a miscreant and see if you can identify them. There is also information for choosing hardware and securing the system along with a whole bunch of other good stuff.

Don't chase megapixels unless you have a really BIG budget. Chase sensor size and bigger is better. To confuse you more sensor sizes are listed in fractions so do the basic math to be sure, 1/2.7 is bigger than 1/2.8 or 1/3. General rule of thumb is that a 4MP camera will easily outperform an 8MP camera when they both have the same sensor size. Reason being that there are twice as many pixels in the 8MP versus the 4MP. This results in only half the available light getting to each pixel in an 8MP that a pixel in the 4MP "sees".

A dedicated PC doesn't need to be either expensive to purchase or to run. A used business class machine can be had from eBay and various other sources. The advances made in Blue Iris make it easily possible to run a fairly large system on relatively inexpensive hardware which also makes power consumption low, as in under 50 watts in many cases. The biggest expenses turn out to be hard drives for storing video and a PoE switch to power the cameras and, of course, the cameras themselves.

The three basic rules of video surveillance cameras-

Rule #1 - Cameras multiply like rabbits.
Rule #2 - Cameras are more addictive than drugs.
Rule #3 - You never have enough cameras.

Quick guide -

The smaller the lux number the better the low light performance. 0.002 is better than 0.02
The smaller the "F" of the lens the better the low light performance. F1.4 is better than F1.8
The larger the sensor the better the low light performance. 1/1.8" is better (bigger) than 1/2.7"
The higher the megapixels for the same size sensor the worse the low light performance. A 4MP camera with a 1/1.8" sensor will perform better than a 8MP camera with that same 1/1.8" sensor.

720P - 1/3" = .333"
2MP - 1/2.8" = .357" (think a .38 caliber bullet)
4MP - 1/1.8" = .555" (bigger than a .50 caliber bullet or ball)
8MP - 1/1.2" = .833" (bigger than a 20mm chain gun round)

Don't believe all the marketing hype no matter who makes the camera. Don't believe those nice night time captures they all use. Look for videos, with motion, to determine low light performance. Any camera can be made to "see" color at night if the exposure time is long enough, as in half a second or longer. Rule of thumb, the shutter speed needs to be at 1/60 or higher to get night video without blurring.

Read the reviews here, most include both still shots and video.

Avoid Reolink, Foscam, SV3C, Nest, and all the other consumer grade cameras. They all struggle mightily at night and never get anything useful on video. Here's a link to a whole thread debunking Reolink in particular.

Compiled by mat200 -

A collection of various consumer grade failures -

Avoid WiFi cameras, even doorbell cameras. WiFi is not designed for the constant, 24/7, load of video that a surveillance camera produces. At best, with two cameras on WiFi, they will still experience dropouts multiple times daily. Murphy's Law says that will happen at the worst possible moment.

Lens size, focal length, is another critical factor. Many people like the wide, sweeping, views of a 2.8mm lens but be aware that identification is problematic with a lens that wide. Keep in mind that it may take two cameras, or more, to provide the coverage you need or desire. Another factor that effects view angles is the sensor size. Typically larger sensors will have a larger field of view in any given lens size.

The 5442 series of cameras by Dahua is the current "king of the hill". They are 4MP and capable of color with some ambient light at night. The 2231 series is a less expensive alternative in 2MP and does not have audio capabilities, no built in microphone, but is easier on the budget. The 3241T-ZAS has similar spcs as the 2231 and has audio. There are also cameras available from the IPCT Store right here on the forum and from Nelly's Security who has a thread in the vendors section.

Review - 8MP 1/1.2" sensor full color camera

5442 Reviews

Review - Loryata (Dahua OEM) IPC-T5442T-ZE varifocal Turret

Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+

Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ Turret

Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Turret, Full Color, Starlight+)

Review: IPC-HDBW5442R-ASE-NI - Dahua Technology Pro AI Bullet Network Camera

2231 Review
Review-OEM IPC-T2231RP-ZS 2mp Varifocal Turret Starlight Camera

3241T-ZAS Review

Less expensive models -

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
At some point, most of us have something happen that we wish our box kit system captured. Nothing worse than knowing what time something happened, but not being able to provide the police with anything else to go by. Not every perp is going to come to your front door. What if they go to the back window? What if a car is parked on the driveway and they come up the car from the opposite side of the camera?

The cameras in this box kit are the typical too many MP on the smaller sensor. This sensor size works well for 2MP. At 5MP, someone will have to be less than 10 feet from the camera to have half a chance of getting an IDENTIFY image. At 8MP even closer.

I started with the four 2.8mm camera box kit system and I was like "I can place one on each corner of the house and see my whole property and the whole neighborhood." A newbie loves the wide angle "I can see the whole neighborhood" of the 2.8mm fixed wide angle lens. I LOVED IT WHEN I PUT IT UP. I could see everything that would be blocked looking out the windows.

It is easy to get lured in to thinking the wide angle "see the whole neighborhood" because you are watching it and you see a neighbor go by and you are like "Look at that I can tell that is Heather out walking." and "Yeah I can tell our neighbor 4 down just passed by". Or you watch back the video of you walking around and are like "yeah I can tell that is me".

Little do we realize how much WE can identify a known person just by hair style, clothing, walking pace, gait, etc.

Then one day the door checker comes by. Total stranger. Totally useless video other than what time the door checking happened.

Then you realize that this wide-angle see the whole neighborhood comes at a cost and that cost is not being able to IDENTIFY who did it. These 2.8mm wide angle cameras are great overview cameras or to IDENTIFY someone within 10 feet of the camera. At 40 feet out you need a different camera.

And like most, I stuck these wide angle cameras on the 2nd story to be able to see even more, which then means any IDENTIFY distance is lost vertically. Someone needs to be within 10-13 feet to identify someone with a 2.8mm lens. A camera placed 16-20 feet up means the entire IDENTIFY distance is lost in the vertical direction. You will get a good shot at the top of the head and hat though LOL.

So then we start adding more cameras and varifocal cameras so that we can optically zoom in to pinch points and other areas of interest to get the clean IDENTIFY captures of someone. While the varifocals are great at helping to identify at a distance, they come at a cost of a reduced field of view, just like the wide-angles are great at seeing a wide area, but they come at the expense of IDENTIFY at distance.

In addition to the above and great advice from @sebastiantombs, here is a thread I created showing the differences between a 2.8mm focal length trying to IDENTIFY at distances beyond what one should (more than 10-15 feet at night).

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
im thinking about buying this system as a starter and eventually goto blue iris system. I know its just an average kit but what are your thoughts on this? Some of the recent reviews are questionable.

Hi @Oohitztommy

I have some Amcrest cameras, they're Dahua OEM so they work well with my Dahua OEM NVR that I picked up from Andy.

The kit price seems good .. yet note, to get the price down the cameras have smaller sensors, and the NVR is a "lite" version.

If you can afford better and need low light performance, I would look for cameras which have larger sensors ..

1650394303391.png

1650394549818.png

Reaction score
that single camera that you linked is a good one for low light? i was looking at that earlier vs Amazon.com : amcrest starlight camera

what do you think?

Hi @Oohitztommy

I have some Amcrest cameras, they're Dahua OEM so they work well with my Dahua OEM NVR that I picked up from Andy.

The kit price seems good .. yet note, to get the price down the cameras have smaller sensors, and the NVR is a "lite" version.

If you can afford better and need low light performance, I would look for cameras which have larger sensors ..

View attachment 125679

View attachment 125680

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
that single camera that you linked is a good one for low light? i was looking at that earlier vs Amazon.com : amcrest starlight camera

what do you think?
Some of the search results came back with small image sensors, so I would recommend taking the time to find larger sensors on the models ..

imho:
If you are starting out and want an affordable camera to play with .. the Amcrest 5MP is about $60ish and imho one I'd keep and put in a location where I needed an affordable camera ..
the other model I would look to get to learn with is a varifocal 4MP 1/1.8" sensor camera .. pick up a PoE switch and setup a test rig and play around and see how well you can get them to work.

I'm not up on the current models, so you'll have to check the posts by @sebastiantombs and @wittaj as well as check the models offered by Amcrest. ( iirc they did have some larger sensor models .. just need to check their listed items .. )