Amtrak derailment today, relates to cams & NVR

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
13 car train, and 12 derailed. Several landed in I5 highway, hitting multiple vehicles.

I previously worked on designing cameras and recorders for use mainly in buses and trains. I thought folks here would like insight into camera systems used in trains.

NVR:

Most NVR models we discuss on this forum have 4 or 8 “external alarm” inputs. For buses and trains, there’s usually 12 to 20 inputs. This records the many inputs, such as:
- Brakes activated
- L & R turn signals
- Headlights on
- Door(s) open or closed
- “G” force above a threshold (excessive braking)
- G force (accident)
- Emergency flashers
- etc

The NVR also has an input for a GPS, to relate video footage to location and time. Useful for checking if a route is on-time. (NVR video time stamp vs gps location)

Cameras:
Here's a pic of a RR camera that is "forward facing", mounted in the locomotive cab. The dual camera is useful:
One lens: "looks long", to see RR crossings in the distance. To confirm the crossing lights were flashing (when cars crossed the tracks, or drove around the lowered gate arm.)
The other lens: "looks wide", to see what's close to the train, including views trackside L & R.

Quick aside: Some RR unions prohibit cameras in the cab of the locomotive that can record the train's engineer. The union didn't want mgmt micromanaging them....

Other RR companies allow recording of the engineer's actions while driving the train. It protects the engineer against charges of inattention, distraction, texting, even napping.

Two RR approaches to in-cab cams.

Bus companies are similar. Some cities can record the driver, in other cities, there’s no recording of the driver.

Amtrak: The "Black Box" required on trains have interesting specs, and are different than black boxes on airplanes.
  • Fire resistance of 750 °C for 1 hour, this test simulates the temperature of burning diesel fuel
  • Impact shock of 55 g
  • Static crush of 110 kN for 5 minutes, this test simulates a locomotive derailment and blunt object impact
  • Fluid immersion in Diesel, water, salt water or lube oils for 2 days
  • Hydrostatic pressure equivalent to immersion to a depth of 15 m in water for 2 days

Fastb

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The only little tidbit I can add to this story is 20 years ago I drove from CA to Seattle to buy a car. I5 the whole way. So I've been under that bridge I'm sure.
Same here. Flew from San Jose, CA to Portland, rented a car, drove to Kent, just SE of Seattle. That was about '93 or '94, I think.

BTW, just notice the Derailment is noted on Google Maps ==>> here.

amtrak_121817.jpg

Last edited:

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
All,

Update: The train was doing 80+mph is a 30mph zone - over 2.5 times over the limit. The train was too fast for the turn. The news reported the engineer and a conductor were in the cab, and they would be interviewed asap, to uncover why the train was speeding, eg: distraction, talking, texting, etc.

Me? I hope there was a cam in the locomotive, to record the engineer as he's piloting the train. (see my comments above about RR union rules and cams in the locomotive caabin).
Secondly, I hope people ask why there wasn't a camera recording. (if there wasn't already, due to the RR Engineer's union contract) And maybe there will be a clamor to add cams in the cab.

Here's my favorite derailment video, very short, very dramatic! (watch in HD!)
If it was a speeding freight train, a mile long, the outcome would be horrific. This passenger train was 14 cars long.

The news reported that "two cameras have been recovered from the locomotive cabin".
Me: WTF? RR uses analog cams, they're only now investigating IP technology (and the higher cost is an issue, which will slow rollout). But my point is that RECOVERING A CAMERA doesn't do diddly. (the RR cams don't store footage in the analog cam)
The news might have just as well reported "The camera cables have been recovered, thank God".
Note: There was no news on recovering the video recorder.

Cranes have removed the locomotive and several RR cars.
They're hoping to open I5 southbound soon, though non-committal so far.

drunkpenguin & TonyR, based on your travel details, you indeed passed under that trestle.

Fastb

Last edited:

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for the updates and the pictures. I'd just caution everybody to be somewhat skeptical of what's reported. I'm watching the news from Portland and there are a lot of contradictions as each outlet tries to beat the others. One story in the LA Times about Positive Train Control with respect to the new track section said 3 different things in the same story.