Analog cameras vs IP cameras... is it worth it?

Reaction score
So here is another nube... thats need advise. My goal is to be able access cameras easily online, quality and stability.

I have this cameras that I never saw in actionBOSH WZ18 and I just got LOREX 8005 so do you think is it worth upgrade? Big plus that those cameras already installed and all I have to do is to find a compatible DVR for them.

What do you guys think?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So here is another nube... thats need advise. My goal is to be able access cameras easily online, quality and stability.

I have this cameras that I never saw in actionBOSH WZ18 and I just got LOREX 8005 so do you think is it worth upgrade? Big plus that those cameras already installed and all I have to do is to find a compatible DVR for them.

What do you guys think?
Those analog cameras are 540tvl... They will look like complete garbage..

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The Bosch cams are analog and barely .4 megapixel resolution (that's less than 1/2 of 1 megapixel) and as @fenderman stated, they will look horrible.
The Lorex cams are IP cams with POE (a big plus), are NOT analog and have 4K resolution / 8 MP or 20 times better resolution than the Bosch cams, a definite 'upgrade'.
But good luck finding an NVR (Network Video Recorder) that works with those Lorex IP / POE cams other than the one shown on the site with your posted link, as it states at the bottom of the camera info: "Compatible with the Lorex HD LNR600/LNR610 Series NVRs only. For the most up-to-date list of compatible recorders, visit www.lorextechnology.com/compatibility". That link does NOT even find the LNB8005 camera.
The LNR6100 NVR alone without cams is ==> here <==

Reaction score
Greatly appreciate your input guys! Bosh cameras must go. I was thinking to pair lorex cameras with Synology surveillance station or keep original NVR. However I can't access live stream from the phone unless I am on wifi with that NVR, which is a big problem.

Would you recommend other cameras/setup. I need at least 4 cameras with a $1000 budget, including NVR/DVR.

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Greatly appreciate your input guys! Bosh cameras must go. I was thinking to pair lorex cameras with Synology surveillance station or keep original NVR. However I can't access live stream from the phone unless I am on wifi with that NVR, which is a big problem.

Would you recommend other cameras/setup. I need at least 4 cameras with a $1000 budget, including NVR/DVR.
Outdoor Camera 4 x DAHUA 2.7mm ~12mm motorized lens 2MP WDR IR Eyeball Network Camera IPC HDW5231R Z ,free DHL shipping-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Indoor Camera 4 x Aliexpress.com : Buy DAHUA 2.7mm ~12mm motorized lens 2MP WDR IR Eyeball Network Camera IPC HDBW5231R Z ,free DHL shipping from Reliable network camera suppliers on Empire Technology Co., Ltd
NVR with POE 1 x Aliexpress.com : Buy Dahua 16/32CH 1U 16PoE 4K&H.265 Network Video Recorder NVR5216 16P 4KS2 NVR5232 16P 4KS2 from Reliable video recorder glasses suppliers on Empire Technology Co., Ltd
4TB WD Purple Hard Drive 1 x https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IMPO5OW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=B7LA2BYB1ZO8&coliid=I3QIDKETOFTAKR&psc=1

Your choice between the indoor or outdoor cameras... And some spare change from your $1000 budget to by a beer or two.

Reaction score
Seems like Lorex cameras that I have should yield better performance. I know that Lorex is manufactured by dahua.

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Analog cameras improved a lot and a cheaper than IP cams (but need an NVR for recording/intelligence) but the one you selected is crap.

Reaction score
Analog cameras improved a lot and a cheaper than IP cams (but need an NVR for recording/intelligence) but the one you selected is crap.
I didn't select them, I got them for free and was just thinking to reuse them.

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I didn't select them, I got them for free and was just thinking to reuse them.
OK, but whenever it's free, you may not want to waste too much time on it, sometime I get some products for free/testing and usually they are crap ;-)

Reaction score
OK, but whenever it's free, you may not want to waste too much time on it, sometime I get some products for free/testing and usually they are crap ;-)
That's exactly why I am here and I am glad that I asked. I am new to camera world.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The Bosch cams are analog and barely .4 megapixel resolution (that's less than 1/2 of 1 megapixel) and as @fenderman stated, they will look horrible.
The Lorex cams are IP cams with POE (a big plus), are NOT analog and have 4K resolution / 8 MP or 20 times better resolution than the Bosch cams, a definite 'upgrade'.
But good luck finding an NVR (Network Video Recorder) that works with those Lorex IP / POE cams other than the one shown on the site with your posted link, as it states at the bottom of the camera info: "Compatible with the Lorex HD LNR600/LNR610 Series NVRs only. For the most up-to-date list of compatible recorders, visit www.lorextechnology.com/compatibility". That link does NOT even find the LNB8005 camera.
The LNR6100 NVR alone without cams is ==> here <==
Hi Tony,

FYI - Those are Dahua OEM cameras and have already been tested by purchasers to even work with Blue Iris.
They should work with other Dahua OEM NVRs also.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That's exactly why I am here and I am glad that I asked. I am new to camera world.
Welcome Born4TheSky,

Note, with that Lorex 4K kit, you should be able to add 2 of those Dahua starlights to that kit and get a nice value.

It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.

Last edited: