Analog to IP for SmartThings integration.

Neight

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all. I am a new home automation and security enthusiast. I have been slowly building a smart home and security system through Samsung Smartthings v2 hub. I also have a Lorex 1080p 8 cam dvr. I am running a tablet with a smarttiles.click dashboard which will integrate h.264 or mjpeg streams. Is there a way I could split the 2 of the bnc lines from the cameras and convert the video to IP streams that I can integrate?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello all. I am a new home automation and security enthusiast. I have been slowly building a smart home and security system through Samsung Smartthings v2 hub. I also have a Lorex 1080p 8 cam dvr. I am running a tablet with a smarttiles.click dashboard which will integrate h.264 or mjpeg streams. Is there a way I could split the 2 of the bnc lines from the cameras and convert the video to IP streams that I can integrate?
Welcome to the forum. You can pull the stream direct from the DVR.

Neight

n3wb
Reaction score
Really? I guess I have some research to do on that. Thanks for the reply.

ekaz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a Lorex system (for now) and to pull the stream I entered the IP for the DVR and then selected the camera. I've played with the smarttiles for SmartThings but never got to playing with the video. That being said, the Blue Iris mobile app is pretty good from the little bit I've played with it.

Neight

n3wb
Reaction score
I have spent the day trying to figure out how to isolate individual camera streams from the dvr. The best I have been able to figure out is how to log into my dvr via an internet browser.

ekaz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'll get you a screenshot of how mine are set up

Neight

n3wb
Reaction score
I would really appreciate that. I was looking into those IP cam servers where you plug the bnc line into, but they can be pricey.

ekaz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You'll need the IP address and username/password to access your DVR, which it sounds like you already have since you can access from a web browser. When adding the camera to Blue Iris, you need to click on the Configure button on the Video tab. Attached is the screenshot of tab window. The camera number is the channel on the Lorex system you want to see.
Hope this helps. Good Luck!
Lorex.JPG

ekaz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yep. You can still access via the lorex software but I like Blue Iris better. The mobile app works well too.

morrisdlxx

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, in reading through this thread, it seems that many are trying to integrate IP cameras into a larger security system or home automation solution. For example, at present, I have Hikvision cameras reporting to a QNAP RAID unit running Surveillance Station. This works well for video capture but, it is not able to send an alert to the security system in a timely fashion. For example, with the Hikvision cameras and the Surveillance Station central management application, I can forward an email to notify someone or feed into an alarm system. The problem is the lag time associated with email. It would be far better if there were an easy way to implement some type of LAN alert messaging that could trigger additional actions, (turn lights on, set off siren, etc). Has anyone considered a lightweight LAN messaging solution?

Neight

n3wb
Reaction score
I personally get alerts from my door/window/motion/vibration sensors. Smartthings allows for multiple modes to arm only certain sensors. I have indoor ipcams that send me photos/video clips via the app. Plus I can load the app for.my lorex system easily if i get a notification. There is a web-based dashboard Id like to use as a control center for the system which supports mpeg and mjpeg streams. I am currently testing options to get this integration so I can have everything running on one app. I purchased an Axis 2400+ 4 channel ip cam server, but unfortunately this model is old and support is difficult to find.

nats

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello, in reading through this thread, it seems that many are trying to integrate IP cameras into a larger security system or home automation solution. For example, at present, I have Hikvision cameras reporting to a QNAP RAID unit running Surveillance Station. This works well for video capture but, it is not able to send an alert to the security system in a timely fashion. For example, with the Hikvision cameras and the Surveillance Station central management application, I can forward an email to notify someone or feed into an alarm system. The problem is the lag time associated with email. It would be far better if there were an easy way to implement some type of LAN alert messaging that could trigger additional actions, (turn lights on, set off siren, etc). Has anyone considered a lightweight LAN messaging solution?
We do push notification, sms and phone calls automatically triggered when a human is detected on a frame.