Analogue joystick control of Hikvision IP PTZ cameras

timb999

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been using IP PTZ cameras for 4 years now, and currently have 2x Hikvision DS-2DE4220IW-DE cameras, and I’m using Blue Iris to control and record with them.

I have used the computer keyboard all this time to move and zoom the cameras, and it works, but is pretty clunky at best. I would really like an analogue joystick, so I can control how fast it pans and be more smooth and accurate.

I have tried USB joysticks like a 360 controller, but they operate in Blue Iris like a digital joystick. So, it’s no better than using a keyboard really, as it is very imprecise.

I really want to use an analogue joystick, but I don’t want to faff with more cables and use the RS485 option, my cams are a fair distance away so I want a USB solution really.

So...I wonder....is anyone anywhere using any solution for IP cameras, using USB, which gives them a great analogue controller?

Or does anyone have Hikvision IP cameras with the Hikvision IP joystick? Maybe that is an option, and I can control using that but still record in BI?

I have scoured the net for info on this but it seems really scarce...hoping someone can help please, even if it is just to say...’no, I don’t think that is possible without using rs485 etc’?

Thanks!

Tim.

timb999

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello Tim, did you ever find a solution?
Hi - no, not really. The only info I managed to glean from a Hikvision supplier was that to control my cameras over a LAN, I need the DS-1200ki or the DS-1600ki keyboards/joysticks, both of which are seriously expensive. I am struggling to justify that expense when I can get a RS485 joystick for £50 or so. Therefore, unless I can find a cheap 1200/1600 soon, then i will probably go down the RS485 route, which i really did not want to, but I do not see any other solution. Still very happy to hear if anyone else has any suggestions?!

Raymond G

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
When you mention using R485 you mean a wholesale swap to an analogue camera correct? or is there a method to get that serial based connection to work with the IP cameras?

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
When you mention using R485 you mean a wholesale swap to an analogue camera correct? or is there a method to get that serial based connection to work with the IP cameras?
I would say that all IP PTZ cameras also have the RS485 connector, so you can still use old analog joysticks (some might not have it, but I am quite sure the Hiks do).

Of course that means running two extra wires to the camera, which I guess is what the OP wants to avoid.

timb999

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would say that all IP PTZ cameras also have the RS485 connector, so you can still use old analog joysticks (some might not have it, but I am quite sure the Hiks do).

Of course that means running two extra wires to the camera, which I guess is what the OP wants to avoid.
Yes correct here - a lot of IP cameras still have the RS485 connections, so no need to change cameras, but it does mean running an extra cable (with 2 wires as mentioned) to each camera. I do not know much about RS485, so extra info would be cool if anyone can confirm...

You only have 2 wires come into the joystick when using RS485, therefore I am assuming that you can run multiple cameras using the 2 wires - i.e. joystick to a junction box, 2 wires from camera 1 and 2 wires from camera 2 merge at the junction box, and information is carried along those 2 wires only (for both cameras) to the joystick?

I guess an advantage of using RS485 is that you can potentially mix camera manufacturers and with RS485 being a standard, they should all work happily together?

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You only have 2 wires come into the joystick when using RS485, therefore I am assuming that you can run multiple cameras using the 2 wires - i.e. joystick to a junction box, 2 wires from camera 1 and 2 wires from camera 2 merge at the junction box, and information is carried along those 2 wires only (for both cameras) to the joystick?
That's right. Every current camera will support pelco-d/pelco-p protocols, with those you can mix and match any cameras you want and control them from any PTZ controller.

timb999

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi...I thought I would report back to the thread in case anyone is interested.

I ended up buying a Hikvision DS1200KI keyboard/joystick from eBay, and am now using it to control my 2 cameras...whilst viewing and recording the footage in Blue Iris on PC.

It’s not perfect (which it should be if you are paying full price for it!). I have a bit of lag between movement on the joystick and a response from the camera. The joystick does work in an analog way as I hoped, but the different speeds as you move the joystick further in the same direction are a bit obvious and noticeable and can be ‘jumpy’ when you ask it to move faster.

However, all in all, it is a massive upgrade on using the keyboard. No contest.

Not sure how it compares to RS485 keyboards but I really didn’t fancy running more cables. This unit just connects to your LAN/router.

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Can't you just steal two wires from your RJ45 lan plug? The cameras are only 10/100. Fast ethernet uses pins 1, 2, 3 and 6.