Android app alert playback issues over HTTPS (stunnel)

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
For quite some time I've been noticing issues moving from one alert clip to another within the Android app. I had sort of ignored it, thinking it was an issue peculiar to my older phone, but after a recent upgrade to a Pixel 2 XL running the latest Android OS, BI Android app, and the latest version of Blue Iris server, I'm still seeing issues.

The symptom I'm seeing is that I can choose an alert clip, and it plays properly, but if I then attempt to go to the previous or subsequent clip using the arrow buttons, or by swiping across the screen, I get a spinning circle and the word Loading...

The app will sit in that state until I either hit the back icon, or navigate via the menu.

I have two servers, so I did some testing to see if the problem was peculiar to one of the servers, and realized that playback via the local LAN was working without any issues. To see whether the problem was with the remote server, or with stunnel, I added an additional port forward in my router to forward directly to BI instead of to stunnel, and edited the server settings for that server in the app to use HTTP and the new port.

When I then connected to that server with the app, there were no playback issues.

Stunnel itself appears to be configured properly and working fine. I can connect to the server via a web browser and both activex and UI3 work fine, showing the connection as being secure, and the certificate details all look correct.

I also don't seem to have this issue with the iPhone app. It seems to have no issues navigating between alerts.

Is there anyone else using the Android app and a server secured with stunnel who can let me know whether or not they are seeing similar playback issues?

Last edited:

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Surely I can't be the only person using HTTPS on the Android app, and Stunnel with the BI server.