Android app causes BI to crash

macster2075

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The latest Android app version causes Blue Iris server to crash every time.

Whenever I use my wife’s Samsung Galaxy s20 to view the camera, the BI computer crashes and closes almost instantly.

I have tried clearing cache, uninstalling/reinstalling the app…no fix.

i even tried another Samsung phone…Galaxy s8 and it does the same thing.

My iPhone has no issues at all.
I have sent several emails to BI support, but I get no response at all.

Anyone having issues with Android?
I will definitely not be renewing my sub with them. It’s a shame a company is ignoring its users!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Latest android app works fine on my end.

macster2075

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I’ve tried also to create a new user in BI and use that on the Android…still crashes the pc. I have removed all cameras and only add one with default settings just to make sure it’s not a setting…still crashes the server.
Strange the IOS app works fine. I don’t t know what else to try since I’ve already tried 2 different Samsungs and they both behave the same.

I wish support would reach out to me at least once to troubleshoot.

macster2075

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have been having issues as well with android app. I thought it was my phone and tried removing the app and reinstalling it but it continues to make blue iris program on pc to close when i try to view the cams on my phone. Hopefully there is a fix soon
Try sending an email to support and see if they respond to you. They are completely ignoring me.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Have you tried the UI3 that is part of BI - simply open up Chrome on your device and type in the IP address of the BI server with the : and port number?

Many of us have found that more useful and better than the app.

I use UI3 way more than the app. The only advantage the app has over UI3 is the ability to do the 2-way talk.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The latest Android app version causes Blue Iris server to crash every time.

Whenever I use my wife’s Samsung Galaxy s20 to view the camera, the BI computer crashes and closes almost instantly.

I have tried clearing cache, uninstalling/reinstalling the app…no fix.

i even tried another Samsung phone…Galaxy s8 and it does the same thing.

My iPhone has no issues at all.
I have sent several emails to BI support, but I get no response at all.

Anyone having issues with Android?
I will definitely not be renewing my sub with them. It’s a shame a company is ignoring its users!
Big shame. They didnt respond to you for an entire 30 hours? The update was released feb 2. There are hundreds of other alternatives. Let us know what you choose. Im sure those companies respond instantly. FYI, its not crashing any of my 20+ systems. The problem is on your end.

macster2075

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I do use UI3 a lot actually. But to me is much easier to use the app.

Since the BI pc is on the other side of the house…I use UI3 when I am at work on a laptop next to me in my home office.

macster2075

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@fenderman I have no doubt it has to be something on my end…but, I’ve tried everything I can try on my end which is why I tried to contact support several times already, but they just don’t respond at all to me.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@fenderman I have no doubt it has to be something on my end…but, I’ve tried everything I can try on my end which is why I tried to contact support several times already, but they just don’t respond at all to me.
The app was updated feb 2, stop pretending that they have been ignoring you. At most its about 30 hours. You dont even mention your server version.

macster2075

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thats when the issue started. My wife got an BI app update on her Samsung and right after that she told me the app stopped working.

I am on version 5.5.5.0.

When I say they are ignoring me is because the other issue I have which is different than the issue with the app…they haven’t responded and it’s been well over a week now.

macster2075

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ha!
He can be rough around the edges lol, but I don’t take it personal. Some folks are very knowledgeable here but a bit rough lol

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Did you try rolling back to the previous version? For now at least.

This is why I let the rest of you guys go first on the updates for a few months. ; )

macster2075

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you mean pre version of the app, no I haven’t as I didn’t know that was possible.

if you are referring to the firmware ver of BI server, the. Yes I have and it did not fix the app issue.

It’s just weird that the app stopped working on one of the Samsung phones and when I tried another Samsung phone it behaves the same way and they both have the same android app version.

As I’ve stated in the past the iPhone does not have any issues at all.

But, it can still be something in the settings but as the previous user mentioned, they did not make any changes except updating the app and they started having issues as well, so I don’t know.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Ahhh... sorry, read your post wrong. Was thinking BI update. Yeah, can't roll back that as easily.

macster2075

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just tried latest android + latest BI and it doesn't crash for me.
What was crashing for me is the actual server..the BI machine software. It just closes and even when it doesn't close, I can't click on the cameras in the app to view them..like nothing happens when I tap on the them. The phone just vibrates but nothing happens.
Both Android phones behave the same way. It must be some setting I guess, but I just can't find what it is.

I have tried removing all cameras and start from scratch, but that doesn't fix it.

jrbeddow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Have you tried the UI3 that is part of BI - simply open up Chrome on your device and type in the IP address of the BI server with the : and port number?

Many of us have found that more useful and better than the app.

I use UI3 way more than the app. The only advantage the app has over UI3 is the ability to do the 2-way talk.
I am still a N00B (more or less) when it comes to BI, but have been reading extensively on this forum, and have successfully setup (bench testing only so far) three of the Dahua 5442 cameras. All is going amazingly smoothly, and I have really good luck so far with mobile phone connections via UI3 and a VPN connection (on my Asus router running back to my fiber home service). My question involves push notifications: is using the "real" BI app the only solution available to get these? Sure, I can open the UI3 interface and see alerts, but I know my wife would rather get true push notifications. Am I missing something here, or am I correct in thinking the only way that will happen is through the BI app?