Android not syncing with dynamic WAN address

Reaction score
Very frustrated, Frontier first told me I could get a free static IP address but now (2 days later) they say I need a business account, which effectively means $100/month for crummy 12 Mbps internet service. No thanks. Here's the issue:

When at home, I open the BI android app and the BI desktop app, then enter the latest dynamic WAN address shown in Web Server settings into the android app WAN address. I double check by turning my cell phone Wifi OFF (to get cell reception only), refresh, and I can see all 4 of my cameras just fine.

I then drive to the office where we are not allowed to have Wifi for security reasons, so therefore I am using 4G cell service. All cameras are still viewable, no problem, all is good.

The next day I come to work or hit the road and I am no longer able to view cameras via cell phone, it will not connect to the server. When I get home from work I find the WAN address is different than it was yesterday, so I update once again and cameras are viewable again. My understanding is that whatever WAN address is entered in the Android app must match, or somehow be forwarded through to my BI PC, the WAN address in the BI Web Server WAN setting.

Why is this not updating automatically? I have ENABLED Port Forwarding in my Actiontec F2250 router, but maybe not correctly, or this isn't the issue at all. If Port Forwarding were set up correctly, would this solve the issue with the dynamic WAN address and the issue I'm having? I have set mine up similar to the example below with Protocal "TCP and UDP", port number is different of course, and my local IP address is 192.168.1.5.

Could the ".5" in the local IP address be a conflict? (My whole system uses 192.168.1.x) This is the IP I entered in Windows 10 Network settings, IPv4 Manual Settings.

SAMPLE Actiontec F2250 SCREEN ONLY - NOT MY NUMBERS
upload_2017-6-29_9-21-2.png

How can I ensure my cell phone, when on cell-tower-only service (i.e., no Wifi) will link up to my computer?

Is a static WAN address a necessity or is there a way (settings) to ensure I can get through the latest evolving WAN address?

If it turns out a static WAN address is indeed necessary, what is the latest acceptable but low cost method?

My system is quite simple right now: A desktop with BI installed, an Actiontec F2250 router/modem, switch, and 4 cameras. When it works, it works well. I just can't keep my cell phone reliably linked when the WAN address keeps changing. BTW, our Frontier service is terrible and I suspect that router re-boots are occurring regularly, which would reset the WAN address. Even with this lousy connection, Frontier is not willing to provide a free static WAN address to me.

Thank you. I'm not very good with this stuff yet so please explain accordingly.
Ron

Whiny PS - Frontier DSL ranks worst among 40-ish ISPs, lucky me.

Reaction score

Machine

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
no-ip just forwards the DNS record to your IP address. You will need something to dynamically update the record with no-ip; I believe BI can do that.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
no-ip just forwards the DNS record to your IP address. You will need something to dynamically update the record with no-ip; I believe BI can do that.
Bi has its own ddns type service... If you want to use no IP you will either need to download their client and run it on the blue iris PC or use another device to update it like your router..

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Bi has its own ddns type service... If you want to use no IP you will either need to download their client and run it on the blue iris PC or use another device to update it like your router..
How/where does BI advertise the host name? I looked in BI but all that I see is a WAN IP address that gets updated and a frequency selection, no place to enter a host name that you'd use to access it. I do the DDNS otherwise so don't need it in my set up, just curious.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
How/where does BI advertise the host name? I looked in BI but all that I see is a WAN IP address that gets updated and a frequency selection, no place to enter a host name that you'd use to access it. I do the DDNS otherwise so don't need it in my set up, just curious.
it doesnt, it uses part of your registration key code that is entered in the app...i dont use it myself

Reaction score
To complete this thread I wanted to follow up to show what works, for the benefit of other newbies. See the image for the settings. With these I am able to reliably receive BI via cell phone service only (i.e., wifi not needed).

upload_2017-7-3_10-9-9.png