Android Phone as a Camera

Gswanson74

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have used Android phones as cameras on many applications. Some of them work pretty well! The LG G2 has great low light and good picture quality, so I want to get them working in Blue Iris (just purchased, but had issues setting them up in the eval version also). I am using Wansview K1 cams as my two main cameras. They are working great in BI, no issues. I have 4 LG G2's and would lob=ve to get them running. I am using the android app "IP Webcam" which has me designate a port > 1024. I set it up (with credentials) and can not get BI to connect. Using the same computer that BI is installed on, I can access the LG G2 via webpage (with designated port). The page brings up a selection of how to view the stream. The only one which seams to work is Java. So, I select it and I can see the stream. How do i get BI to resolve this stream? Pulling my hair out, and I don't have any! Thanks for any and all help!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have used Android phones as cameras on many applications. Some of them work pretty well! The LG G2 has great low light and good picture quality, so I want to get them working in Blue Iris (just purchased, but had issues setting them up in the eval version also). I am using Wansview K1 cams as my two main cameras. They are working great in BI, no issues. I have 4 LG G2's and would lob=ve to get them running. I am using the android app "IP Webcam" which has me designate a port > 1024. I set it up (with credentials) and can not get BI to connect. Using the same computer that BI is installed on, I can access the LG G2 via webpage (with designated port). The page brings up a selection of how to view the stream. The only one which seams to work is Java. So, I select it and I can see the stream. How do i get BI to resolve this stream? Pulling my hair out, and I don't have any! Thanks for any and all help!
https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/2986-Using-IP-Webcam-with-Blue-Iris

Gswanson74

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'll post screens hots when I get a chance. I tried every model under generic, there is no lg/g2 in the dropdown. For path, I tried various path names.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll post screens hots when I get a chance. I tried every model under generic, there is no lg/g2 in the dropdown. For path, I tried various path names.
Blue iris will not list the phone in the dropdown. It pulls the same exact stream from any phone running that app. The path is dependent on the app not the phone.
Side note, long term the phones are not going to be stable. Both because of the wifi as well as the fact that they are not designed to constantly stream. You are better off with true ip cameras.

Gswanson74

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok there were two suggestions in that thread. I tried every selection in generic with mpeg and /video feed as the path. Also this was posted:

chas1376 said:
11-24-2015
Re: Using IP Webcam with Blue Iris
try: make/model:mjpeg stream path:/video
you may also need port number,get it in router settingort forwarding.

So make/model does not come into play, a generic entry is used, correct? Using mpeg of some type, with what path?

To summarize, I am looking at 3 items for configuration:
1. Ip, which is 192.168.1.220:8081 (matches port I put in app and displayed on ip webcam running on the lg)
2. Make (generic) which pre-populates the streaming protocols (about 6 or 7 of them, which I tried every one)
3. And path, tried /video and videofeed, along with /flash (guess).

There are two other ports listed in the BI setup (right side of setup screen, can't remember exactly what they were for, one is in the 524 range, one at 8999 I think). Also, the param field which is blank.

feat06

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok there were two suggestions in that thread. I tried every selection in generic with mpeg and /video feed as the path. Also this was posted:

chas1376 said:
11-24-2015
Re: Using IP Webcam with Blue Iris
try: make/model:mjpeg stream path:/video
you may also need port number,get it in router settingort forwarding.

So make/model does not come into play, a generic entry is used, correct? Using mpeg of some type, with what path?

To summarize, I am looking at 3 items for configuration:
1. Ip, which is 192.168.1.220:8081 (matches port I put in app and displayed on ip webcam running on the lg)
2. Make (generic) which pre-populates the streaming protocols (about 6 or 7 of them, which I tried every one)
3. And path, tried /video and videofeed, along with /flash (guess).

There are two other ports listed in the BI setup (right side of setup screen, can't remember exactly what they were for, one is in the 524 range, one at 8999 I think). Also, the param field which is blank.

I'm currently using a G2 as one of my IP cams as well
username and password

IP: 192.168.1.8:8080
username and password (as set in the ip webcam app)
make: generic
model: mjpeg stream
path: /video
camera: 1

audio
path: /audio.wav

media/video/rtsp port 554 (though this doesn't matter, if you go to the ip webcam landing page, and click other viewing methods in upper right it echos this as well).

honestly that should be all it takes, had this up and running fairly quickly

Gswanson74

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I got it. Thanks everyone. It was mjpeg 1 /videofeed. Not quite sure what I was doing wrong, I set up another phone, it worked. I removed and set up the original, it is now working.