Android Remote Connect Not Working Anymore

shootr

n3wb
Reaction score
Been a BI user for several years, pretty much no issues. This past week, I can no longer connect remotely from the BI app to my system.

I can when home on my wifi network, just not on cellular. (Verizon / Google Pixel 3XL)

I've checked the following:

LAN and WAN addresses still match what is shown on the BI Control panel "web Server" tab

When I go thru the Remote Access Wizard, all steps give the green checkmark until I get to the "Remote Access" page, then it fails with a red X. WAN matches, Verified IP matches, then the "Verified Server" box shows "This operation has timed out". When I click the canyouseeme.org - it fails too.

I imagine it's something in my router settings - but everything I check there seems correct / matches the addresses in BI. Under the "Port Forwarding" tab, there is the rule for BI tagged to the correct address for my computer that runs BI.

Anyways, I'm scratching my head at this point as I can't figure out what I am overlooking. Any and all ideas would be greatly appreciated.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Been a BI user for several years, pretty much no issues. This past week, I can no longer connect remotely from the BI app to my system.

I can when home on my wifi network, just not on cellular.

I've checked the following:

LAN and WAN addresses still match what is shown on the BI Control panel "web Server" tab

When I go thru the Remote Access Wizard, all steps give the green checkmark until I get to the "Remote Access" page, then it fails with a red X. WAN matches, Verified IP matches, then the "Verified Server" box shows "This operation has timed out". When I click the canyouseeme.org - it fails too.

I imagine it's something in my router settings - but everything I check there seems correct / matches the addresses in BI. Under the "Port Forwarding" tab, there is the rule for BI tagged to the correct address for my computer that runs BI.

Anyways, I'm scratching my head at this point as I can't figure out what I am overlooking. Any and all ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Have you rebooted the system?
go to canyouseeme and confirm that the port is open.
What port number are you using?
Consider using a vpn for security.

shootr

n3wb
Reaction score
Have you rebooted the system?
go to canyouseeme and confirm that the port is open.
What port number are you using?
Consider using a vpn for security.
I've rebooted the computer, the router, and the modem - no luck.

Canyouseemenow fails - it does not see it.

Port 81

I'm not familiar with VPN - before having to move on to some other new configuration, I was hoping to figure why this stopped all of a sudden.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've rebooted the computer, the router, and the modem - no luck.

Canyouseemenow fails - it does not see it.

Port 81

I'm not familiar with VPN - before having to move on to some other new configuration, I was hoping to figure why this stopped all of a sudden.
See the vpn primer for noobs thread. When using vpn, the port forward would be disabled and irrelevant.
Change the port to something like 8484 in the web server then make those changes in the router and mobile app as well

shootr

n3wb
Reaction score
See the vpn primer for noobs thread. When using vpn, the port forward would be disabled and irrelevant.
Change the port to something like 8484 in the web server then make those changes in the router and mobile app as well
Will do, thank you.

shootr

n3wb
Reaction score
OK, found the rule in the Firewall that wasn't checked - so I can access it the old way, but am heading off to Youtube and the google to set up the VPN instead. Thank you all very much for your time and help.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, found the rule in the Firewall that wasn't checked - so I can access it the old way, but am heading off to Youtube and the google to set up the VPN instead. Thank you all very much for your time and help.
There is a thread here with the detailed info as noted above. Most of the info you will find will deal with the wrong type of vpn.

shootr

n3wb
Reaction score
There is a thread here with the detailed info as noted above. Most of the info you will find will deal with the wrong type of vpn.
I read thru the noob VPN in the WIKI, then went to DLink and was going thru their VPN set-up how-to...Yes, it is not up to date for Windows 10...Argh

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
I lost access as well. Using OpenVPN thats built into my Netgear Router. Also have the Open VPN andorid app.

Its worked fine for years.. then all of a sudden out of the blue, it stopped working...

very confused

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I lost access as well. Using OpenVPN thats built into my Netgear Router. Also have the Open VPN andorid app.

Its worked fine for years.. then all of a sudden out of the blue, it stopped working...

very confused
your issue is not related to the OP. Likely something mess up with your vpn settings or the ddns.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
its been years since i set this up...... checked my no-ip account where I set up my DDNS. Shows me a IP Target address that lands me to an xfinity screen. Should this IP/Target be my actual IP adress (whatismyip)

Using my whatismy ip, I can log in, with me credentials, right into my router.

This ip has never changed, but why is it showing somthing differernt in the IP/Target in my ddns account?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
its been years since i set this up...... checked my no-ip account where I set up my DDNS. Shows me a IP Target address that lands me to an xfinity screen. Should this IP/Target be my actual IP adress (whatismyip)

Using my whatismy ip, I can log in, with me credentials, right into my router.

This ip has never changed, but why is it showing somthing differernt in the IP/Target in my ddns account?
ensure that your router or whatever device you are using to update ddns is setup correctly/user/password etc.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
ensure that your router or whatever device you are using to update ddns is setup correctly/user/password etc.
thanks.. everything looks good on that end. I think it has somthing to do with me going over my TB of bandwidth with the devil (xfinity)

I will see if this fixes itself when FEB 1 hits.

Thanks Again

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
thanks.. everything looks good on that end. I think it has somthing to do with me going over my TB of bandwidth with the devil (xfinity)

I will see if this fixes itself when FEB 1 hits.

Thanks Again
if it works when you use the actual ip, then its got nothing to do with xfiniti....the dns client is likely not updating the ip and its sending you to the old ip that may have another service on it.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score

Should the IP/TARGET address listed there, be my actual (whatismyip) IP address? As right now, it is not. If I click on my ddns, it takes me to some xfinity webpage about privacy policy update.

If I click on my whatismyip IP address, it takes me to my router login, where I can put in my credentials.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Should the IP/TARGET address listed there, be my actual (whatismyip) IP address? As right now, it is not. If I click on my ddns, it takes me to some xfinity webpage about privacy policy update.

If I click on my whatismyip IP address, it takes me to my router login, where I can put in my credentials.
yes it should be your current ip. Its not updating properly likely for the reasons explained above.