Android Tablet wall mount "install"

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So for my early bday present I got a 10.1" Android Tablet. It was $177 around black Friday. $100 off.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01EUC7NPI/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1512003475&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=samsung+10.1+tablet&dpPl=1&dpID=41kjmFI9AcL&ref=plSrch

Bought this little mount clip thing. It was like 10 bucks or maybe 15. I can find the link if anyone is interested.

I'm using the UI3 webpage and I've set the tablet never to timeout when plugged in. I can turn off the screen manually whenever I'm done looking at it for the night.

I mounted it near the bed so I can easily reach over and switch cameras, or grab the tablet, etc.

Here are the pics. Let me know what you think.

20171129_182940.jpg
20171129_183032.jpg
20171129_181631.jpg
20171129_174849.jpg 20171129_174919.jpg

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Philip Gonzales Can you provide more info on the stuff you used to attach the tablet to your wall? Like where did you buy it from?

Also, can you configure the tablet to turn off the screen after a timeout period? (to increase screen life)
And have BI send a signal (webservices call) to tablet to turn screen on when there is a motion event? (Perhaps via Tasker?)

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Philip Gonzales Can you provide more info on the stuff you used to attach the tablet to your wall? Like where did you buy it from?

Also, can you configure the tablet to turn off the screen after a timeout period? (to increase screen life)
And have BI send a signal (webservices call) to tablet to turn screen on when there is a motion event? (Perhaps via Tasker?)
Here's the link for the mounting clip thing.

It comes with one mounting ring thing for your tablet and two wall mount clips.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01EBAOUZ0/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

Some people have complained that it falls off the wall, but to me it seems very solid. Just in case I put my tablet in a case and applied the plastic ring thing to my case. If it does fall I can always add some really strong mounting tape that I've used to hang a light before. I think it's pretty neat for how simple it is. Another possibility is that it will remove the paint from the wall especially when removing it but I'm Ok with that. Not that big of a deal to me. I think some people will complain about anything.

A timeout period can also be configured. The options are 15s, 30s, 1m, 2m, 5m, 10m, or 30m. As far as getting it to turn on if motion is detected, I don't think that is possible. At least I am not smart enough to know how to do it, as I suppose anything is possible.

I would think if anyone would know how feasible this would be it would be @bp2008 . bp2008 any idea if this is possible via script from blue iris? I know you had that monitor wake up program but I assumed that was only for an actual monitor connected to the BI computer? Any info is appreciated.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have similar mounts for my cellphone chargers. If you have any trouble keeping it stuck to the wall put a screw or 2 through the plastic into the drywall. Works really well and if this is a permanent setup who cares about a couple holes in the wall.
I was thinking that I could do the same thing. I don't think it's necessary but if I didn't have a case on it I would definelty do that.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
A timeout period can also be configured. The options are 15s, 30s, 1m, 2m, 5m, 10m, or 30m. As far as getting it to turn on if motion is detected, I don't think that is possible. At least I am not smart enough to know how to do it, as I suppose anything is possible.

I would think if anyone would know how feasible this would be it would be @bp2008 . bp2008 any idea if this is possible via script from blue iris? I know you had that monitor wake up program but I assumed that was only for an actual monitor connected to the BI computer? Any info is appreciated.
I have no idea if you can get that to happen with Android, and I'd say almost certainly not with iOS. Either way, I'd be no help.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have no idea if you can get that to happen with Android, and I'd say almost certainly not with iOS. Either way, I'd be no help.
No worries. Thanks for the response. It must be impossible then as far as I am concerned lol.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've been thinking about doing something like this some day. Our hdmi monitor is in the bedroom, would be nice to have one in the main room or near the front door. Does your BI CPU go up much?
It seems my CPU goes up about 5% when I open UI3 from the tablet. I only have 6 2mp cams running at 15fps and average about 20% CPU usage. Goes up to 25% while I have the tablet up. I have the webserver profile set to 2048kbps when I bump it up to the 4096kbps profile I get a popup that my CPU cannot keep up with the stream or what not but honestly 2048kbps seems fine to me as far as quality goes. I have 2 X Xeon 5520 CPU's so your mileage may vary.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Philip Gonzales Out of curiosity, did you consider the Fire HD 10 tablet on sale for $99 during the same Black Friday period? It's cheaper than what you got.

BTW, the Samsung is a quality Android tablet.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Philip Gonzales Out of curiosity, did you consider the Fire HD 10 tablet on sale for $99 during the same Black Friday period? It's cheaper than what you got.

BTW, the Samsung is a quality Android tablet.
I thought about it a bit but really wanted to go android. This tablet has an octacore processor and 2gb of ram. Not sure of the specs of the fire tablet but my son has one of the older and smaller (7 inch I believe) fire tablets and honestly I've felt that it is pretty slow. I knew UI3 worked well with my phone so I wanted to stick to what I knew worked well. To me this was def worth the price. Especially since my wife bought it for me lol.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I woulda gone android too. Our daughter has an older fire and it sucks. Shes used it maybe twice in the last few years.
My son had a nabi and he broke the screen and I got him a fire tablet to replace it and we both regret it. He uses his fire everyday now because it's what he has but I'd probably go android if he broke his current fire. But don't tell him that. He is 6 years old and he recently got a new, bigger, better smart tv by pouring a bottle of water down his old TV. He went from a 32" to like a 48". Luckily he didn't catch on that breaking things results in better things lol. I couldn't help it. I wasn't going to buy a 32 inch TV in 2017 lol.

0blar

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi
Can someone explain me what is UI3 webpage ?

Thanks

RobertM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
IMHO, the security/awareness functionality that is most pertinent with wall-mounted monitors is an easily configurable audible or flashing tile which brings attention to movement in designated critical areas. Although a tech-sexy person could juggle the apps to attain the desired level of notification (I know there are technical discussions available on this site) ... the average user would prefer more of a plug-n-play reliability. We're not there yet.

However I like the way this forum pushes knowledge and implementation advice down to the realm of homeowners instead of it only being held hostage by professional security companies.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
IMHO, the security/awareness functionality that is most pertinent with wall-mounted monitors is an easily configurable audible or flashing tile which brings attention to movement in designated critical areas. Although a tech-sexy person could juggle the apps to attain the desired level of notification (I know there are technical discussions available on this site) ... the average user would prefer more of a plug-n-play reliability. We're not there yet.

However I like the way this forum pushes knowledge and implementation advice down to the realm of homeowners instead of it only being held hostage by professional security companies.
Well Blue Iris does place a red square around the camera that has activity. This draws your attention to the camera in question. My tablet is meant to be viewed while I am at home so if someone comes up to my door I will likely hear them outside first and then glance at my tablet. I think this situation makes sense to me but I am still pretty new to ipcams in general so still learning a lot myself.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I installed a device that alerts us to motion only when it's a car, human, or animal. It's an audible alarm. I got it free. We call her Pepper! :D
Any chance you can point me to a video of how this works lol. Sounds interesting.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I've heard of those. They are notoriously unreliable, sometimes false alarming for hours and setting off the alarms at the neighbor's place too.