Andy do you have a camera that has a better lense than the IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E? all of mine start leaking and fogging up in a year or so

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I’ve had similar issues with 5231’s, 5241’s and 5442’s. In each case the protective plastic lens covering deteriorated, I assume from UV?

If they would simply sell a replacement lens cover it would help. Rather replace those for $5 than cameras. Though I was lucky to have old damaged cams and was able to scavenge parts. The most recent one I’m considering not replacing.

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I’ve had similar issues with 5231’s, 5241’s and 5442’s. In each case the protective plastic lens covering deteriorated, I assume from UV?

If they would simply sell a replacement lens cover it would help. Rather replace those for $5 than cameras. Two I was lucky to have old damaged cams and was able to scavenge parts. The most recent one I’m considering not replacing.
Could you get a glass place to make a replacement maybe?

Reaction score
I suspect here in Florida with the extreme humidity and 40 degree temp yo-yo’s certain times of the year we may have it worse than many.

Maybe we need to get a template and have a couple hundred made and sell ‘em for $10:cool:
we had some made and tried it but it was Lexan and it was a great picture during the day but at night it was like someone threw a white sheet over the camera and it was useless.
we need to find what material to make them out of.
now what is really weird is I have 3 IPC-T2231T-ZS cameras with the same exposure and they don't suffer from the same thing. go figure

BTMotorsports

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It is the rectangular piece.
I have the resources to get these made (assuming Andy can't get replacements) if someone has the details of tearing down the camera without ruining it or if someone wants to send me a cloudy one they've replaced, that would be even better (rather not tear my cam apart, I haven't even installed it yet ).

Reaction score
I suspect here in Florida with the extreme humidity and 40 degree temp yo-yo’s certain times of the year we may have it worse than many.

Maybe we need to get a template and have a couple hundred made and sell ‘em for $10:cool:
we had some made and tried it but it was Lexan and it was a great picture during the day but at night it was like someone threw a white sheet over the camera and it was useless.
I have the resources to get these made (assuming Andy can't get replacements) if someone has the details of tearing down the camera without ruining it or if someone wants to send me a cloudy one they've replaced, that would be even better (rather not tear my cam apart, I haven't even installed it yet ).
I can send you one of mine

BTMotorsports

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I sent you my shipping info. Would be best to post a pic or 2 of the lens detached and let's give Andy a day to weigh in in case he has access to replacements already or can provide details on what the factory material is.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

I wonder if you didn't get a tight seal back and had IR bleed behind the Lexan? If you turned off the IR, did it improve?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
5231Z-12 was 4 years old. Replaced with a lens cover from a dead 5442. I wasnt too upset about this as it faces west and the sun's UV took a toll...

But I had to replace another on a 5442 two years old similar maybe not as bad. And we've all had condensation under that cover on 5442, 5231, 5241's...

HOA Entr_EntrTag_main_20210418165036_@3.jpg
HOA Entr_EntrTag_main_20210418173518_@3.jpg

BTMotorsports

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
5231Z-12 was 4 years old. Replaced with a lens cover from a dead 5442. I wasnt too upset about this as it faces west and the sun's UV took a toll...

But I had to replace another on a 5442 two years old similar maybe not as bad. And we've all had condensation under that cover on 5442, 5231, 5241's...

View attachment 144045
View attachment 144044
Wow, that's a tremendous difference. I can't understand why they would use polycarbonate on something they know is going to get ultraviolet exposure like an outdoor camera does instead of glass.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
we need to find what material to make them out of.
now what is really weird is I have 3 IPC-T2231T-ZS cameras with the same exposure and they don't suffer from the same thing. go figure
You would have to make sure the new lens does not block IR

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I drop tested my 5231 a month or so ago....while clearing my workbench.....Put a small crack in the side of the lens cover( glass)? it cracked like it was glass....is that one glass or does polycarbonate crack like glass as well?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
what is really weird is I have 3 IPC-T2231T-ZS cameras with the same exposure and they don't suffer from the same thing. go figure
There must be different materials used in different cameras. A couple of years ago when I replaced a couple of chinese market cameras with 2 megapixel starlights, they introduced a nasty sun glare that didn't exist with the older cameras. I solved it with glare shields (lens hoods) made out of soup cans,