Animals and BI

leenaud

n3wb
Reaction score
I tried to find out what animals are using my backyard for illegal practices and have noticed that the BI software seems to have a hard time detecting any. However, during the night hours it gives me plenty of clips of moths and other insects flying around. I've set up zones, tested them. Seems OK. What am I missing or is this not the correct software? It has no problem detecting me.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I tried to find out what animals are using my backyard for illegal practices and have noticed that the BI software seems to have a hard time detecting any. However, during the night hours it gives me plenty of clips of moths and other insects flying around. I've set up zones, tested them. Seems OK. What am I missing or is this not the correct software? It has no problem detecting me.
Blue iris cannot differentiate between humans and animals or moths. There are some ai tools that others have integrated with BI. See deepstack ai tool thread.
Blue iris looks for the size based on pixels, contrast and if using edge vector the path of an object. A moth 6 inches from the camera will appear the same size as a human 10 feet from the camera. You need to adjust those parameters if you want to catch an animal at a distance.

leenaud

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. If that's the case then BI probably will not detect i.e. a possum or bobcat crossing several zones while it is about 10 ft away from the camera, even after lowering the pixels/contrasts to their lowest points. And then I will be getting all kinds of false alarms. Will check out the AI tools.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
For me using my 2Mp cams AITools fails to spot a fox or a cat even when quite close up, most of these snapshots would be during the night so no idea how it would perform during the day?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ring has settings for detecting people.
I might try it to see how well it does.
I do get an occasional crow or two triggering motion at my front door right now. Once, it recorded a rat trying to climb my security screen door at night.
View attachment 66274

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Blue Iris can detect people as well, using sentry or deepstack ai. The op is trying to detect small animals. Sentry is an easy option already built into the software. Ring can only operate with its crappy cameras and cant do what the op wants anyways.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. If that's the case then BI probably will not detect i.e. a possum or bobcat crossing several zones while it is about 10 ft away from the camera, even after lowering the pixels/contrasts to their lowest points. And then I will be getting all kinds of false alarms. Will check out the AI tools.
I use BI and my cams have no problems catching birds, squirrels, cats, possums, raccoons, bear, deer etc. at night at all different time (both day and night) and distances. What camera are you using to capture video of these animals?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
If you are using zones the don't use Edge as that has issues, go back to simple and see if it improves things.

If you have set the cam up to detect animals then using zones might not be the best way? What I mean buy this is that they are unpredictable, so I have foxes and cats that visit my garden but they don't always arrive and leave using the same path or even speed.

For my back garden I have the main cam and a clone, the main cam is setup to detect the main types of movement I am after, the clone is set up with much looser detection rules so it even grabs birds etc... Best thing is to play around, at the end of the day you can always delete the clone and if it's a true copy of the main cam then it also adds little to nothing to the over streaming workload.

leenaud

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm using a SC3V PTZ-HX.( ) Really would appreciate to know how you configured the trigger options. As far as streaming, yes it catches everything. Motion detection is a different story. I'm forced to use zones as it faces a wooded area and I need to keep the movement of branches, shadows under control. I used Simple and Edge. But I'm at the point to give up and get a wild life camera. I thought for sure I could get this to work. What camera(s) are you using?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

leenaud

n3wb
Reaction score
I use BI and my cams have no problems catching birds, squirrels, cats, possums, raccoons, bear, deer etc. at night at all different time (both day and night) and distances. What camera are you using to capture video of these animals?
What camera are you using and how did you configure the trigger options?

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
I have an assortment of the 5231 and 5241 Dahua line of cameras. I'm pretty much set pretty close to the defaults for normal trigger. Here are some examples: link from something captured the other day - Deer Jogging, another from a couple of weeks ago at night - Deer eating the flowers and lastly one captured on a test camera - Bear stroll. So with all this, my point is that it definitely works. I also use zones to keep down on the sun's shadows and wind moving the trees that end up triggering the cameras.