ANNKE 2MB Cube vs Hykamic 4MB Cube

kbonnel

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am trying to decide between these 2 hikvision camera's. I have one of each for testing, with the 4MP being a 2.8mm lens and the 2MP being a 4mm lens. The 4mm works for most of the indoor scenarios I am looking to do, except for 1, were the 2.8mm works best. That being said, I need a total of 4 cameras, with 1 definitely needing 2.8mm. Is the 4MP worth the additional cost over the 2MP? (approx $40)

I know the 2MP cube is a Hikvision DS-2CD2420F-IW, and the 4MP cube is a Hikvision DS-2CD2442FWD-IW. Other than the MB difference, the 4MP cube also has a 120dB WDR capability, vs. digital WDR on the 2MP.

What are your thoughts / opinions on these two cameras?

I am using BI, and all cameras will be run over PoE.

Last edited:

MadamImAdam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My first thought is that you are confusing MP with MB.

All possible variables are mostly dependent on your plan for coverage and resulting scenes. What angles are required? What distances are perps likely to be? are there any light sources and resulting shadows?

I own a DS-2CD2432F-IW (a 3MP variant of your options) and it works perfectly fine. For the most part, I don't think you can choose wrong. As long as it can see what you want it to, you'll be fine.

Just remember that generally speaking, higher MP is a trade-off between better daytime performance at the cost of night time performance.

kbonnel

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My first thought is that you are confusing MP with MB.

All possible variables are mostly dependent on your plan for coverage and resulting scenes. What angles are required? What distances are perps likely to be? are there any light sources and resulting shadows?

I own a DS-2CD2432F-IW (a 3MP variant of your options) and it works perfectly fine. For the most part, I don't think you can choose wrong. As long as it can see what you want it to, you'll be fine.

Just remember that generally speaking, higher MP is a trade-off between better daytime performance at the cost of night time performance.
Thanks for the reply. I don't know what I was thinking when I put in MB vs MP!!! I fixed it.

I have both cameras setup in my office to compare the quality. I tried kept the image settings pretty much the same between them, and had WDR turned off. To me the color and quality of the 4MP is better than the 2MP in this scenaro. I am going to do some additional checks when it gets dark and I can compare the quality at night.

Attachments

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
"Office" I'm sure. I see the Vive base station in the corner. You're not fooling anyone.

The 2MP camera might be a little out of focus, or the bit rate might be too low or something. It seems like on the left side of the room the 4MP and 2MP are roughly equal, but on the right side the 2MP is a bit blurry.

kbonnel

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
"Office" I'm sure. I see the Vive base station in the corner. You're not fooling anyone.

The 2MP camera might be a little out of focus, or the bit rate might be too low or something. It seems like on the left side of the room the 4MP and 2MP are roughly equal, but on the right side the 2MP is a bit blurry.
It is my office, I swear! :)

Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a way to adjust the focus on these, but I agree, it does appear just a tad bit out of focus on the right side.