Annke and Hikvision Exposure Time By Schedule

Reaction score
I have been trying to figure out how to select the right exposure time so that there would be enough detail in one of my cameras to make out a license plate. If I set the Exposure Time in the Image configuration to 1/2000 there are no problems making it out, but at night that setting makes the camera basically a black screen. At night 1/30 or 1/60 works much better at giving at least a scene to look at, but forget any license plate recognition. My compromise is that I simply don't see the plates at night. I am okay with that because at night it is more about people than cars. In my quest though I was having a hard time understanding how to make the change in the Exposure Time based on sunrise to sunset. I could not find any good documentation online for how to make this work, or even how the configurations can be setup. Thankfully, Annke (who's camera's I bought) sent me a bit better of instructions on how to make this work, so I wanted to post it hear (partially so there is a record that I can come back to) in the event that it might help others. I put it here in the Hikvision area because the firmware between the two companies appear to be almost identical (lots of other posts about this elsewhere).

How to Setup

The setup is totally in the Image section of the camera configuration.

1. To get this started you need to be sure the Image Parameter Switch is not enabled. I the Schedule is enabled you will not be able to make changes to the Display Settings.
  2. In the Display Settings there is a drop-down selection for Scene. Within you have 6 different options. When you select one of the options the settings for presumably each of the areas to the right of the Live View is adjusted for that setting (I have not confirmed as my only interest was in the Exposure Time).
    1671467793922.png
  3. Switch the drop-down toNormal. Here I set the Exposure Time to 1/2000.
  4. Switch the drop-down to Low Illumination and set the Exposure Time to 1/30th.
  5. Go to the Image Parameters Switch and set what times should be Normal, and what times should be Low Illumination. I opted to use an average of the sunrise to sunset times in my area. Ultimately the schedule would offer a sunset to sunrise auto configuration or a use of the camera for luminesce but sadly it does not.
    1671468023443.png
You could add in special use of things like Back Light and Front Light I suppose if someone has some sort of crazy lighting in the area, or just make these twilight and dusk setting to get more precise. There are also the Custom1 and Custom2 that can be configured.

I hope this helps others.

motofox

n3wb
Reaction score
aww ive been trying to get the auto switch to work with daya nd night settings without success so i will use this method thanks.. frustrating as the hikvision looks the same and under scene it had day and night profiles which work as intended so wonder if its worth flashing to hikvisoion or not

Reaction score
My experience is that the Hikvision firmware really didn't provide any additional benefit. Glad that this helped, I know how frustrating it can be when the documentation is not clear or totally absent.

trempa92

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Most of the time hikvision devices lack GUI settings for stuff they can do, and when you query capabilities with ISAPI you learn it can do all that. The problem is between backend firmware devs and frontend gui devs. They often work like Here is the list ive done and you need to implement that on front. Most of the time they fuck up.

If you really wanna be sure if your device can do something or not, check via ISAPI. With GPTChat nowdays i believe anyone here can give basic pseudocode to AI with ISPI endpoints and end up with working software or script that will do some automation for you.

example:

1675190539600.png

And you keep correcting AI until you are satisfied, get correct endpoint, get correct values you need to send in POST data, also tell AI to use Digest Authorization with your username and password and so on. Most of the endpoints and payload you can get by sniffing Network tab in inspect element.

Rest is on you, i just showed you how to start,

Last edited: