Annke VS Hickvision

Maximus

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have a few questions for you all:
1 - Annke and Hikvision is the same company? I recently have this question because they have the same App and NVR interface

2 - I spent for Annke 240$ with 30% off for each of cameras and really like the 3840 X 2160 (8,294,400 pixels) resolution but maybe it better to spend the same money for Hikvision?

3 - Annke Vision is mobile app for iOS looks the same as Hik-Connect, both of them using the same cloud server? All the time when I using the best resolution I can't view my recorded motions over the app. If I have monitor connected to NVR I can see all records directly from NVR and there no issue, the only problem with a mobile app! For my understanding 4k resolution hard to be transferred over the internet connection but I don't want to drop my resolution for 1920x1040 for a chance to get video access from mobile app

I alredy have Arlo and Blink cameras they cloud server is perfect, I would like to have the same good remote service for IP CAMERA.

All your recommendation be really helped to my next steps, because I'm already thinking for return all equipment. Thank you

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Annke is made by Hikvision, not actually the same company. Annke versions are, generally, stripped down versions of Hikvision and can be different in terms of hardware and firmware capabilities.

As far as remote access is concerned, the "cloud" is not a very reliable or secure method. Look in the Wiki, in the blue bar at the top of the page. Read the article regarding securing your network in particular. The Cliff Notes are also quite helpful although the camera models listed there are a generation old at this point the principals still apply. Also, don't get caught by the megapixel bug. Instead get caught by the sensor size bug. Right now the best performance is a 2MP on a 1/2.8" sensor or 4MP on a 1/1.8" sensor. Higher resolution have poor performance at night even with the same sensor sizes. Watch the focal length of the lens. Most kit style cameras are 2.8mm lenses. To obtain a video that can positively identify someone with a 2.8mm lens the subject needs to be within ten feet of the camera and the camera needs to be mounted no higher than 7 to 8 feet above grade.

The three basic rules of video surveillance cameras-

Rule #1 - Cameras multiply like rabbits.
Rule #2 - Cameras are more addictive than drugs.
Rule #3 - You never have enough cameras.

Quick guide -

The smaller the lux number the better the low light performance. 0.002 is better than 0.02
The smaller the "F" of the lens the better the low light performance. F1.4 is better than F1.8
The larger the sensor the better the low light performance. 1/1.8" is better (bigger) than 1/2.7"
The higher the megapixels for the same size sensor the worse the low light performance. A 4MP camera with a 1/1.8" sensor will perform better than a 8MP camera with that same 1/1.8" sensor.

Don't believe all the marketing hype no matter who makes the camera. Don't believe those nice night time captures they all use. Look for videos, with motion, to determine low light performance. Any camera can be made to "see" color at night if the exposure time is long enough, as in half a second or longer. Rule of thumb, the shutter speed needs to be at 1/60 or higher to get night video without blurring.

Maximus

n3wb
Reaction score
Good evening, I really appreciate your answer above. I get from there good knowledge!
What do you think about below cameras:
DS-2CD5A46G0-IZHS8 - DS-2CD5AC5G0-IZHS - DS-2CD2665G0-IZS - DS-2CD2685G0-IZS -
Annke is made by Hikvision, not actually the same company. Annke versions are, generally, stripped down versions of Hikvision and can be different in terms of hardware and firmware capabilities.

As far as remote access is concerned, the "cloud" is not a very reliable or secure method. Look in the Wiki, in the blue bar at the top of the page. Read the article regarding securing your network in particular. The Cliff Notes are also quite helpful although the camera models listed there are a generation old at this point the principals still apply. Also, don't get caught by the megapixel bug. Instead get caught by the sensor size bug. Right now the best performance is a 2MP on a 1/2.8" sensor or 4MP on a 1/1.8" sensor. Higher resolution have poor performance at night even with the same sensor sizes. Watch the focal length of the lens. Most kit style cameras are 2.8mm lenses. To obtain a video that can positively identify someone with a 2.8mm lens the subject needs to be within ten feet of the camera and the camera needs to be mounted no higher than 7 to 8 feet above grade.

The three basic rules of video surveillance cameras-

Rule #1 - Cameras multiply like rabbits.
Rule #2 - Cameras are more addictive than drugs.
Rule #3 - You never have enough cameras.

Quick guide -

The smaller the lux number the better the low light performance. 0.002 is better than 0.02
The smaller the "F" of the lens the better the low light performance. F1.4 is better than F1.8
The larger the sensor the better the low light performance. 1/1.8" is better (bigger) than 1/2.7"
The higher the megapixels for the same size sensor the worse the low light performance. A 4MP camera with a 1/1.8" sensor will perform better than a 8MP camera with that same 1/1.8" sensor.

Don't believe all the marketing hype no matter who makes the camera. Don't believe those nice night time captures they all use. Look for videos, with motion, to determine low light performance. Any camera can be made to "see" color at night if the exposure time is long enough, as in half a second or longer. Rule of thumb, the shutter speed needs to be at 1/60 or higher to get night video without blurring.

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I have no experience with Hikvision cameras and don't feel comfortable offering advise on them at the model level. Hikvision is a good brand and has models comparable to the Dahua cameras I am using from what I've seen and heard.