Another Blue Iris Recording Setting Questions

onyxlinkia

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
New to blue iris. If I want to do continuous recording on blue iris and delete the recordings after every 14 days, is this the correct setting? Or there are other settings that I have to configure? Thanks.

1684450424636.png

1684450301443.png

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
New to blue iris. If I want to do continuous recording on blue iris and delete the recordings after every 14 days, is this the correct setting? Or there are other settings that I have to configure? Thanks.

View attachment 163461

View attachment 163460
No this will delete recordings after 10GB or 14 days whichever comes first. 10gb give you very little recording. Why limit to 14 days? limit to your storage capacity.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 above - and depending on your settings, that 10GB could be gone in hours.

onyxlinkia

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No this will delete recordings after 10GB or 14 days whichever comes first. 10gb give you very little recording. Why limit to 14 days? limit to your storage capacity.
I only have 4TB HDD space. I have only 4 cameras now but might expand to 8 max. May be something that I'm missing..... When I was running the LaView NVR, I think i was able to have continous recordings for 10+ days and the old HDD was 3TB. I'm hoping to do the same in blue iris.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes that is possible, you are misunderstanding what we are saying. It is an either/or. Tell it to use 3600GB of storage (you want to leave some headroom) and just let it record until it is full and overwrite it. It might be 2 months depending on your settings.

But IF you only want 14 days, then you need to allocate enough storage because of the either/or whichever comes first.

So if you make it 3600GB and 14 days, more than likely it will delete after 14 days as that is the number it will hit first.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I only have 4TB HDD space. I have only 4 cameras now but might expand to 8 max. May be something that I'm missing..... When I was running the LaView NVR, I think i was able to have continous recordings for 10+ days and the old HDD was 3TB. I'm hoping to do the same in blue iris.
blue iris doesnt control your storage retention time. This is set by the bitrate the camera is sending. Again, why would you limit your storage to 14 days? Makes no sense. Limit to your storage capacity. Uncheck days. And set it to about 95 percent of the free space you have.

onyxlinkia

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
blue iris doesnt control your storage retention time. This is set by the bitrate the camera is sending. Again, why would you limit your storage to 14 days? Makes no sense. Limit to your storage capacity. Uncheck days. And set it to about 95 percent of the free space you have.
This makes sense, i'm still learning about setting everything up (Blue Iris pc, dual NICs, VPN, POE switch and etc) correctly, thanks. It's a lot to learn and digest compared to the NVR that I had previously:)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You will find it is way more powerful and customizable than an NVR!

onyxlinkia

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You will find it is way more powerful and customizable than an NVR!
Agreed, but it's quite overwhelming to use it as a new user. So many settings to configure and can't tell which are the essentials vs bells and whistles.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed, but it's quite overwhelming to use it as a new user. So many settings to configure and can't tell which are the essentials vs bells and whistles.
90% of it is self-explanatory... For the rest there's a help file... It explains every single setting

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'd suggest use this as a guide and don't change things unless you know what it does. Do a search here and ask questions for anything you don't understand. And the BI help file is a couple hundred pages full of good info.

onyxlinkia

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'd suggest use this as a guide and don't change things unless you know what it does. Do a search here and ask questions for anything you don't understand. And the BI help file is a couple hundred pages full of good info.

Yes, I have read this one and made the adjustments.