Another Dahua with condensation issues.

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello,

My 5442 Z4E has just started having condensation issues, I had another Dahua 2MP Optical have condensation issues before. Both within 2 years. The 5442 being 14 months old and mounted in a different place to the other. Never had any other camera make ever have condensation issues. I know I can open it up, dry it out etc but in my experience this is very short term fix. Has anybody else experienced such issues ?. I have the Hik's and have had Lorex before with Zero issues.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
It sounds like there is some sort of weather seal that may have deteriorated. Opening it up just to dry it out is obviously a short term fix, but if you can figure out what changed that suddenly you are getting condensation issues, perhaps you can fix the real problem.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd say to open it up, dry it out, replace the desiccant packs inside with fresh, new, ones and use some RTZ/silicon seal to make sure it's sealed when you put it back together again. It would be best to dry it out and let it sit for a few days to be sure it's totally dry and "acclimated" before sealing it back up.

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks all, I will open it up to see what I can see, dry it out etc, i do clean the cameras with window cleaner but that's all of them and only ever had issues with the Dahua's. I was wondering how the screw on top that holds the sun sheild on works, i.e does that have some sort of rubber around it that may perish and let water into the camera body perhaps.

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello,. I opened the front up, trying to get something in the top to prise of the plastic cover was a bit tricky, in the end found a plastic tool you use to open mobile phones up and that worked. 4 screws later, all good. Inside was 2 very large bags of silica, split one bag just trying to get them out but the bags were plastic and the silica still white, perhaps theirs tiny holes in those bags but I never see them. Normally I expect silica in breathable bags. Anyway, put 3 smaller bags in that change colour when used up and will see how it goes as no issues seen with seal etc. As it was reasonable weather today, condensation was not showing at the time I opened up anyway.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Hello,. I opened the front up, trying to get something in the top to prise of the plastic cover was a bit tricky, in the end found a plastic tool you use to open mobile phones up and that worked. 4 screws later, all good. Inside was 2 very large bags of silica, split one bag just trying to get them out but the bags were plastic and the silica still white, perhaps theirs tiny holes in those bags but I never see them. Normally I expect silica in breathable bags. Anyway, put 3 smaller bags in that change colour when used up and will see how it goes as no issues seen with seal etc. As it was reasonable weather today, condensation was not showing at the time I opened up anyway.
Ideally, you would have installed silica that can be dried out and reused via microwave / oven instead of single use. The same can and will happen in the summer as the housing becomes very hot and dry. Just something to consider for the future along with using a sun shade if the camera see's direct sunlight as this will cause even the best camera to fog up!

This winter one of my Hikvision camera's started to fog up and show lots of condensation. :thumbdown:

The camera is only rated for -30'C but the temperatures were -45'C and with the wind chill exceeded -50 ~ -55'C! :facepalm: Every morning the sun would shine on this specific camera for only a few hours and the black housing would heat up. The outer dome was of course -45'C and what is going to happen in that extreme environment?!?

Condensation . . .

I installed two smaller silica packs as noted up above leaving the OEM one inside - no joy. I than installed a temporary shield under the eves and low and behold no fog or condensation on the dome or around the lens. This summer a very small foil heater is going to be installed within the camera. This is more to solve the freezing rain issues that happen at random times during the winter months. :angry:

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ideally, you would have installed silica that can be dried out and reused via microwave / oven instead of single use. The same can and will happen in the summer as the housing becomes very hot and dry. Just something to consider for the future along with using a sun shade if the camera see's direct sunlight as this will cause even the best camera to fog up!

This winter one of my Hikvision camera's started to fog up and show lots of condensation. :thumbdown:

The camera is only rated for -30'C but the temperatures were -45'C and with the wind chill exceeded -50 ~ -55'C! :facepalm: Every morning the sun would shine on this specific camera for only a few hours and the black housing would heat up. The outer dome was of course -45'C and what is going to happen in that extreme environment?!?

Condensation . . .

I installed two smaller silica packs as noted up above leaving the OEM one inside - no joy. I than installed a temporary shield under the eves and low and behold no fog or condensation on the dome or around the lens. This summer a very small foil heater is going to be installed within the camera. This is more to solve the freezing rain issues that happen at random times during the winter months. :angry:
Thanks Tekan, I did not realise the silica bags I put in could could not be reused, I assume by the fact I said the ones I got go yellow when used up implies they cannot or something ?. I have got plenty more though, bought 20 bags.

Last edited:

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks Tekan, I did not realise the silica bags I put in could could not be reused, I assume by the fact I said the ones I got go yellow when used up implies they cannot or something ?. I have got plenty more though, bought 20 bags.
I did the same thing. I bought a sack of those non-reusable silica bags. I opened up my cam, dried it out, restuffed it with several bags (put a few more in than came with it), and then sealed it back up. I also ran a bead of silicon around the body and over the seam where it fits together with the other half of the housing. I'm hopefully that silicon bead fully seals the camera up and prevents moisture from entering it again.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
You'll need to read the information provided by the maker as to (IF) the silica can be reused. Almost all reusable silica is advertised as such where they inform you of the process such as microwave or heating in a oven. The costs for reusable silica back in the day was easily twice as much vs the single use.

Today with Amazon / AliExpress the price difference is maybe on the high end $1~2 more for a 20 pack. Keep in mind best practices is to always have at least one single use silica in the housing.

As this will inform you visually right away if the compartment is seeing any moisture buildup. :thumb:

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You'll need to read the information provided by the maker as to (IF) the silica can be reused. Almost all reusable silica is advertised as such where they inform you of the process such as microwave or heating in a oven. The costs for reusable silica back in the day was easily twice as much vs the single use.

Today with Amazon / AliExpress the price difference is maybe on the high end $1~2 more for a 20 pack. Keep in mind best practices is to always have at least one single use silica in the housing.

As this will inform you visually right away if the compartment is seeing any moisture buildup. :thumb:
Thanks Teken

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Great info preceding this post. Just my 2 cents 4 cents (inflation):

One method to fix an affected camera and mitigate the situation to help prevent (but not guarantee) future moisture intrusion is as follows:

Wait until the ambient relative humidity is at its lowest point. Choose the driest environment you can for this procedure; in other words, the bathroom after someone took a hot, steamy shower or the kitchen after or during the stove has cooked or boiled anything is NOT a good place. This will be the biggest challenge but is likely the best way to not trap moisture-laden air inside the cam when re-assembling. Late afternoon, outdoors, sunny, no rain for 24 hours and out of direct sun may be your best bet.

Open up the cam, noting how it is assembled and what gaskets and sealant rings are in place then dry it out. Soak up excess moisture with lint-free cotton rag, handkerchief, etc. Use a small hair dryer on low to accelerate the drying out of the cam's interior but don't overheat any of the components.

Allow the cam to cool down to room temp.

Replace the bags of desiccant with new, dry ones. If you have no new bags, take the existing ones, dry with hair dryer then bury in cup of uncooked, instant rice for several hours to absorb moisture from the bag.

Reassemble the cam (DON'T FORGET THE BAGS OF DESICCANT), insuring OEM gaskets and sealant rings are in place. Insure that the pigtail cable entrance is sealed. If any gaskets or sealant rings are missing or damaged or the cable entrance is not sealed, you'll be wasting your time and moisture will be back in sooner than later. You should use clear, outdoor-rated silicone sealant to caulk the mating surfaces before AND after re-assembly, including the pigtail cable entrance. Allow to dry overnight before placing back into service.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks Teken
No worries, keep in mind the comments about a sun shade if this camera see's extreme temperatures such as my location. All of the silica in the world isn't going to resolve a lens that's -45'C all the while the suns rays are baking on a black housing! :embarrassed:

If a person can keep the lens assembly at the same environmental temperature it will allow the hardware to endure and operate condensation free. :thumb:

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
One of my turret cameras had this problem. Opened it and dried it out. But the cause of the problem was one of the shell screws wasn't tightened enough. I noticed it immediately. Of course when I put it back together I made sure all the shell screws are tight. No problem since. Now, dome cameras that develop the problem are doomed, ime. I just steer completely away from domes outside.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
One of my turret cameras had this problem. Opened it and dried it out. But the cause of the problem was one of the shell screws wasn't tightened enough. I noticed it immediately. Of course when I put it back together I made sure all the shell screws are tight. No problem since. Now, dome cameras that develop the problem are doomed, ime. I just steer completely away from domes outside.
What with UV, ozone and smog attacking and fogging the dome and dust sticking to it when humidity is high you've cited another good reason to avoid domes. ....IMO.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
That long since I've seen inside one can't remmebr if there's a rubber seal anywhere. If so I wonder if they're using real rubber and it's perishing?

EDPM is a much better material for seals not exposed to oils. Used a lot in plumbing these days as it has a huge lifespan. My pond is lined with the stuff and after 30yrs of exposure to uv and weather is still going strong.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That long since I've seen inside one can't remmebr if there's a rubber seal anywhere. If so I wonder if they're using real rubber and it's perishing?

EDPM is a much better material for seals not exposed to oils. Used a lot in plumbing these days as it has a huge lifespan. My pond is lined with the stuff and after 30yrs of exposure to uv and weather is still going strong.
No, you're correct, EDPM is the go-to material for most O-rings and seals. And technically EDPM is a synthetic rubber so in a sense, the term "rubber" is correct but not accurate. I can't speak for others but I often say "rubber" instead of EDPM or neoprene, which is another synthetic "rubber".

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
One of my turret cameras had this problem. Opened it and dried it out. But the cause of the problem was one of the shell screws wasn't tightened enough.
One of my 5231s did the same. Was fine for a long time. Never any problems with it. Moved it in its mount one day while changing things around. Got condensation after the next big rain. Took it down and found the screws were very loose and not sealing the gasket. No idea how they got so loose.

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi, thank you all for your comments. Their is a rubber seal meeting the front glass to the camera but this time it looks ok, I know they are prone to issues though and last time lost a decent camera because getting a new seal I found impossible. No one was interested, they just said Dahua don't sell parts, they just replace under guarantee and sending back to Andy was expensive plus he could not guarantee could get seal either. This one looks ok though and no sticky black sticker to remove a peace of plastic instead with clips. I have noticed comments about seal of pigtail. I have never done anything with any camera their, I just connect the connectors, put some black tape around them and pass them through my wall as they are direct mounted on brick wall. I assumed that any seal on pig tail was where it's supposed to be and nothing I should have to do ?., Thank you