Another Intel Gen 8 CPU question

DRZmaui

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Newbie here, so please be nice. Will use the SBAR format for my question:

Subjective:

Intel Gen 8 CPU overworked with 8th 4K camera.

Background

After buying a Lorex 4K security system. Bought 2 additional 4k cameras. Realized the system was not enough. Decided to upgrade.

Went to Costco again, bought a HP Pavilion Desktop 590-P, Intel® i5-8400 CPU @2.80Ghz, RAM 12 GB, Added a Seagate purple 6TB hard drive. In addition, added a LG 24in monitor.

After hooking everything up, seem to work OK with 7 cameras. CPU was at 70-80%. When I hooked up the eight comers, this is when the troubles started. Program started to lock up at 100%.

Reading all of the Wiki, and blue iris recommendations. (i.e. To direct drive, Intel processor, less that 15 FPS, updated to the correct drivers, etc), still, can’t get the usage under 65-70%.

Assessment

Is this normal? Any idea’s to bring down the CPU%?

Plan

Might have to split my system into 2 systems. One Lorex, and another Blue Iris. Have 4 more cameras coming for EmpireTech.

Thanks again for taking the time to read my post.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You will need 8th gen i7 for that load. Or if you don't need blueiris motion detection see limit decoding, understand how to set up properly so remotely viewing doesn't enable it.

DRZmaui

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You will need 8th gen i7 for that load. Or if you don't need blueiris motion detection see limit decoding, understand how to set up properly so remotely viewing doesn't enable it.
Thanks,
yes it is a 8th Gen. Intel.
My main question, is the 8 4k cameras that much of a drain on the CPU? Not such a big deal. if it is, will just will keep the 8 cameras on the Lorex NVR system, and run the new cameras on the Blue Iris.
Thanks for you input

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks,
yes it is a 8th Gen. Intel.
My main question, is the 8 4k cameras that much of a drain on the CPU? Not such a big deal. if it is, will just will keep the 8 cameras on the Lorex NVR system, and run the new cameras on the Blue Iris.
Thanks for you input
I know it's an eighth gen, but an i5. It can be done . Read my post again and read the wiki again.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If upgrading the CPU in a prebuilt system, keep in mind the heat produced by the faster chip may be higher and the built-in cooling solution may not be designed for that. And you will need some knowledge about how to properly clean and apply new thermal paste, not to mention needing a small tube of decent thermal paste because you won't really be able to salvage what was on the old CPU and reuse it.

Before upgrading, I'd recommend dropping the FPS on less important cameras even further. You'll still get usable video at 6 or 7 FPS, it just won't be as nice to watch. Alternatively you can turn on the limit decoding feature for a couple of them and that will drastically drop CPU usage. The downside to that is it limits the effectiveness of BI's built-in motion detection and live viewing won't be fluid, but recordings will remain at a higher frame rate.

DRZmaui

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If upgrading the CPU in a prebuilt system, keep in mind the heat produced by the faster chip may be higher and the built-in cooling solution may not be designed for that. And you will need some knowledge about how to properly clean and apply new thermal paste, not to mention needing a small tube of decent thermal paste because you won't really be able to salvage what was on the old CPU and reuse it.

Before upgrading, I'd recommend dropping the FPS on less important cameras even further. You'll still get usable video at 6 or 7 FPS, it just won't be as nice to watch. Alternatively you can turn on the limit decoding feature for a couple of them and that will drastically drop CPU usage. The downside to that is it limits the effectiveness of BI's built-in motion detection and live viewing won't be fluid, but recordings will remain at a higher frame rate.

DRZmaui

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks, Will do.

For now, think I’ll do with the two systems. Lorex and Blue Iris. This is a hobby at this point. Simi-Retired. New cameras are X3 2k, and one 4k. Don’t think it will tax the system too much. Want to play around with LPR (license plate recognition). Bought an EmpireTech IP Camera IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E 2MP. Think my computer will do for now, if it does not work out, will buy a refirb i7.
I’m getting totally obsess with security camera system. Especially what be going on in China, face recognition software, and law enforcement use for interviewing suspects. Have some ideas for the future

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can always try to use BI record direct to disk with no motion detection on some of the cameras. It is not as good as BI motion detection but you can set motion detection detection up in the cameras or IVS amd have the events recorded in BI. This will off load the BI PC.

I have a number of cameras recording full time, without any processing.