Another one..

Hammerhead786

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello All,

Another newbie here looking for some advice on this excellent forum. I've recently moved into a new house and am looking to set up a surveillance system. I've been doing some reading already of the great information provided by some of the members here, but my brain is struggling to make sense of it all.

My background is in IT and I don't mind getting my hands dirty. I'm looking to install POE cameras with my own server using Blue Iris with the ability to have remote access. I'm not looking to go cheap but I'm also not looking to go crazy either.

Since this is my first step into this, I would like really appreciate any and all advice. Ideally I'd like to have a system that is scalable, has motion detection, face recognition, good night vision capture and the ability to record licence plates.

First and foremost I'd like to get the exterior of the house covered and I've taken some pictures which can be found here Camera. I'm estimating that I will need 6 cameras initially.

Can anyone suggest the type and placement of cameras? I was thinking between bullet and turret cameras. Should I consider a PTZ camera anywhere?

Thanks in advance.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Hello, welcome to the forum. From my own personal experience, I started out with bullets and spider webs got to be a real nuisance, almost a daily routine of cleaning them off. When I replaced them I got turrets and now I very rarely have spider web issues. I'll let others chime in about PTZ's. I have one in my backyard that I use more as a "critter cam" watching the birds, squirrels, and other critters that visit our backyard.

Hammerhead786

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Welcome to IPCT. I invite you to get a good start about camera selection (brand/model, focal length), mounting height & more by reading the Cliff Notes.
A bit late I know, but haven't been on here for a while. Thank you for the welcome. I've spent the last few days reading the CNs and I've really learnt a lot. Thank you to all those that have contributed to the CNs.

I'm looking at getting some Dahua varifocal turrets. The additional cost compared to the fixed lens doesn't really bother me. Not exactly sure where to mount the cameras, so would appreciate a little advice/guidance. I've attached a pdf with some measurements and the photos of the house are still accessible from the link in my first post.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A bit late I know, but haven't been on here for a while. Thank you for the welcome. I've spent the last few days reading the CNs and I've really learnt a lot. Thank you to all those that have contributed to the CNs.

I'm looking at getting some Dahua varifocal turrets. The additional cost compared to the fixed lens doesn't really bother me. Not exactly sure where to mount the cameras, so would appreciate a little advice/guidance. I've attached a pdf with some measurements and the photos of the house are still accessible from the link in my first post.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Welcome Hammer,

Start with these suggestions when determining your setup:

2 cameras - one camera on each side of the garage at about door height.
1 camera - one camera at eye level by the front door, consider the 2 lens version which Looney2ns reviewed.
2 cameras - one covering each side of the house to catch anyone going to the back
1 camera - one camera at eye level by any side door or back door.

Last edited:

Hammerhead786

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Welcome Hammer,

Start with this suggestions when determining your setup:

2 cameras - one camera on each side of the garage at about door height.
1 camera - one camera at eye level by the front door, consider the 2 lens version which Looney2ns reviewed.
2 cameras - one covering each side of the house to catch anyone going to the back
1 camera - one camera at eye level by any side door or back door.
Thanks Mat, appreciate the response.

Armysurplus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Welcome From The Central Coast Of CA. There is plenty enough time to do it right the first time, but never enough for do overs. Good luck with Your Project Mike/EZ

Hammerhead786

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Welcome From The Central Coast Of CA. There is plenty enough time to do it right the first time, but never enough for do overs. Good luck with Your Project Mike/EZ
Thanks Mike. I intend to take my time doing this once I've figured out how I want to run the wiring and exactly where I want to place the cameras at the rear of the house. The one thing that annoys me is that the house was a new build, however, the developer didn't give us the option to run cabling before the walls went up. I'm not going to open them up now.

Armysurplus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm lucky there I'm on a raised foundation, so I have access above and below. Be creative, the wife will thank you. For example I knocked a hole in the garage wall ( Oh damn), My 83 yo mom came to the window calling thinking I fell or something?? She saw the hole an freaked bigtime. I calmly told Her it was where a junction box was going, and I needed to get it done so we could plug in Her Xmass lights. She smiled and said what a wonderful idea. If You can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with BS., or the difference between an amateur and a professional, is a pro knows how to hide His mistakes (I like that one).
Mike/EZ

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks Mike. I intend to take my time doing this once I've figured out how I want to run the wiring and exactly where I want to place the cameras at the rear of the house. The one thing that annoys me is that the house was a new build, however, the developer didn't give us the option to run cabling before the walls went up. I'm not going to open them up now.
Almost always a way to run cables without opening up walls.
The other option is to hire an electrician that does this every day to run cables.

Hammerhead786

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Almost always a way to run cables without opening up walls.
The other option is to hire an electrician that does this every day to run cables.
I can do the cabling myself, I just need to figure out whether I want the switch and server in the garage or somewhere cooler like the laundry room. I'll make it work somehow.