Another what should I buy post

Reaction score
Hello-
This is what I have:
A vacation home on a corner lot. Trees around the road but no trees close to house.
A 10Mbps internet connection
I am tech savy.

This is what I want:
To spend no more than $500
I want to be able to get alerts on my Android
I want to be able to live stream
I want to run PoE if possible
I would really like a pre-packaged bundle.
I want to unbox everything, run the wires and be good to go.
I dont need to tell that someone walking on my property has something stuck in his teeth.
I dont need to read license plates.
I believe I want 4 cameras for each corner of the house.

I have read the wiki. While I recognize that the Dahua/Hikvision cameras are good...I believe they are out of my price range.

I believe I am in the Lorex, Swann, Amcrest, Reolink etc... category.
I am/was very close to buying this
Reolink RLK8-410B2D2 - 8 Channels 4 Cameras PoE System
8-channel 5MP/4MP PoE NVR, two 4MP bullet RLC-410 cameras, and two 4MP dome RLC-420 cameras . This camera system provides incredibly bright and sharp images/videos in real color at 1440p (2560 x 1440) Super HD, much clearer than 1080p and 720p.

I have already purchased a 4 camera Night Owl system from Costco.
But I am 99% sure I am returning it as it doesnt have PoE and from what I read the app is buggy.

So entertain me if you will with some systems please.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello-
This is what I have:
A vacation home on a corner lot. Trees around the road but no trees close to house.
A 10Mbps internet connection
I am tech savy.

This is what I want:
To spend no more than $500
I want to be able to get alerts on my Android
I want to be able to live stream
I want to run PoE if possible
I would really like a pre-packaged bundle.
I want to unbox everything, run the wires and be good to go.
I dont need to tell that someone walking on my property has something stuck in his teeth.
I dont need to read license plates.
I believe I want 4 cameras for each corner of the house.

I have read the wiki. While I recognize that the Dahua/Hikvision cameras are good...I believe they are out of my price range.

I believe I am in the Lorex, Swann, Amcrest, Reolink etc... category.
I am/was very close to buying this
Reolink RLK8-410B2D2 - 8 Channels 4 Cameras PoE System
8-channel 5MP/4MP PoE NVR, two 4MP bullet RLC-410 cameras, and two 4MP dome RLC-420 cameras . This camera system provides incredibly bright and sharp images/videos in real color at 1440p (2560 x 1440) Super HD, much clearer than 1080p and 720p.

I have already purchased a 4 camera Night Owl system from Costco.
But I am 99% sure I am returning it as it doesnt have PoE and from what I read the app is buggy.

So entertain me if you will with some systems please.
Welcome @thepezident

My recommendations:
  • DO NOT get Reolink! It has a very poor reputation here, please search for the various threads on it. While the price may look good, you are not getting as good of a value as you can imagine.
  • Remember resolution specs are only one factor of a camera and do not tell you how good of an image it can actually capture.
  • Take some time and again review the cliff notes in the wiki IPCamTalk WiKi | IP Cam Talk - look at the examples of image captures there and from those who had posted image captures from the Reolink.
  • Remember it is better to take some time to figure this out if you're on a tight budget as you can not afford garbage or products which fail to meet your needs.
  • Better to have ONE good camera than 4 bad ones if you get no good images from the bad ones.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 on the Relolink blows.

Good performance from a $500.00 4-camera system is a n3wb pipe dream.

4 Dahua fixed Starlight turrets with a decent Dahua NVR should set you back approximately $800.00.

4 cameras on a corner lot...you’ll need 2.xmm lenses which will give you “what happened” not “who did it” coverage but with your comments and budget, that sounds like what you’re looking for.

Private message Andy for help: @EMPIRETECANDY

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies
Costco Wholesale
I read these Lorex cameras are really Dahua.
Can anyone confirm or deny?
Hi Thepezident,

Thread on that kit here:
FYI - Some local Costco B&M have a Lorex / Dahua OEM 4K 6x camera kit and 8 port NVR for $800

There's also a few threads on how to configure Dahua OEM 2MP starlights cameras to work with that kit. ( executive answer: they'll work, just need to set the user/password and confirm IP address/port info. IVS features are stripped out of the Lorex rebranded Dahua products )