ANPR/LPR Question

Reaction score
Good afternoon all. New to the forum and am seeking advice on two Hikvision IP Cams.

I am debating between DS-2CD4A26FWD-IZH and DS-2CD4A26FWD-IZHS/P. Hikvision support tells me that they are essentially the same camera and that the (S/P) version has integrated LPR technology whereas the other does not. The non-LPR version comes in an 8-32mm variant. The (S/P) LPR version is currently only offered in 2.8-12mm with an 8-32mm planned for release within a few months.

My question is, if they are the same camera, what will the LPR version offer that the non-LPR version does not? I'm looking to use the camera to identify plates as cars pass. While it would be nice, I don't need plate cataloging as long as the plate is clearly readable in the recorded video feed. My NVR is an -E series NVR (DS-7604NI-E1/4P) so I won't be able to take advantage of the newer features that the -I NVR's have to offer.

Or I suppose another way to phrase the question is, when a camera is advertised as an "LPR" camera (or /P), is it simply referring to firmware that will record and database plates as they pass, or is it referring to the camera's visual acuity that makes license plates readable?

Thanks in advance for any input.

CA

Last edited:

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The LPR allows you to search license plates, or do "things" when a given license plate is recognised (like open a gate, activate an alarm, etc).

You should be fine with the non /P version if you do not need that, the image quality will be the same.