any battery operated cameras work with OpenLPR?

Reaction score
I want to identify the plates of vehicles that request access to our driveway gates, but the only good spot to stick a camera is on a tree. I am hoping that I can automate it so that gates automatically open for recognized plates. I don't mind changing batteries. Are there any good wireless cameras that would work for this application?

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I want to identify the plates of vehicles that request access to our driveway gates, but the only good spot to stick a camera is on a tree. I am hoping that I can automate it so that gates automatically open for recognized plates. I don't mind changing batteries. Are there any good wireless cameras that would work for this application?
Nope, if you want reliability, and accuracy you will need to use a dedicated LPR camera setup properly. Such as this cam: Review-Dahua IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E AI Varifocal Bullet | IP Cam Talk
Stay away from battery and WiFi cameras.
Study this: Cliff Notes

Reaction score
LPR cameras require high frame rates and sufficient resolution to capture plates. At night, they require IR illumination. That means high bandwidth and high power. No battery powered camera could possibly meet those specifications.

You'll need to mount a good camera with ePoE capability, and then run a waterproof Ethernet cable to the tree. Others have used a flat shovel to create a trench that is about 6 inches deep into the ground, and simply spooled the cable into the trench.

Reaction score
LPR cameras require high frame rates and sufficient resolution to capture plates. At night, they require IR illumination. That means high bandwidth and high power. No battery powered camera could possibly meet those specifications.

You'll need to mount a good camera with ePoE capability, and then run a waterproof Ethernet cable to the tree. Others have used a flat shovel to create a trench that is about 6 inches deep into the ground, and simply spooled the cable into the trench.
This sounds doable. I am putting an outdoor switch immediately inside the gates, so I should be able to run POE to the camera. I'm not familiar with ePoe yet. I will have to look into that. Also I need to get across a sidewalk. I'd rather not bust it up at this point, so I would have to tunnel underneath somehow.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Dig a trench on either side of the side walk, as shallow or deep as you want and on one side at least a foot longer than the sidewalk is wide. Get a piece of pipe, longer than the sidewalk is wide and drive it from trench to trench, long trench to short trench, under the sidewalk. Pull the cable through the pipe. I used that trick across a driveway, more trenching, for sure, but it worked.

Reaction score
This sounds doable. I am putting an outdoor switch immediately inside the gates, so I should be able to run POE to the camera. I'm not familiar with ePoe yet. I will have to look into that. Also I need to get across a sidewalk. I'd rather not bust it up at this point, so I would have to tunnel underneath somehow.
ePoE is "enhanced PoE" for longer cable runs. I assumed that the tree is far from your home. But standard PoE may be fine depending on the distance.