any deals out there for cat6 bulk roll?

xmfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good Morning IPCT fans
a small tax refund is on its way so finally getting around to ordering the 1000ft cat6 bulk roll from monoprice. =)
this cable: Monoprice Cat6A Ethernet Bulk Cable - Solid, 550Mhz, UTP, CMR, Riser Rated, Pure Bare Copper Wire, 10G, 23AWG, No Logo, 1000ft, Black - Monoprice.com

So guys, have you seen a good deal elsewhere, certainly would like save a few $$ before ordering it through monoprice.

thanks !!
Hi @xmfan

I picked up the following cat6 ( not cat6a ) - for in-wall / attic runs - some in PVC conduit
Monoprice Cat6 Ethernet Bulk Cable - Solid, 550MHz, UTP, CMR, Riser Rated, Pure Bare Copper Wire, 23AWG, 1000ft, Blue - Monoprice.com

sometimes monoprice runs discounts, so keep an eye on that on their main page.

Also check their Amazon page.

xmfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@mat200 - thank you for that link.

The price is definitely better from your link so looks I will order that. I will wait till the weekend to see if there's a monoprice deal, if not then I will order. I plan to run two cables to each location. There will be 10 cam locations, hopefully just one 1000ft roll will be just enough.

using this link to compare cat6 vs cat6a, looks like for my needs, cat6 is more than sufficient.
Cat6 vs Cat6a - Difference and Comparison | Diffen

xmfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey @mat200,
any recommendations for the RJ45 connectors for that cable?
I have had these in my basket for a while but if there's anything cheaper in cost that is also good, would certainly prefer that.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FI9VU2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_1UdgCbZNEEZSS?creativeASIN=B000FI9VU2&linkCode=w61&imprToken=.me3QPlmOUr8IGC07jvZRw&slotNum=1&tag=ipctk-20

Also What crimper are you using? the one made by platinum is pricey and possibly an overkill.
Then I saw one on amazon that is IPCAMTALK branded for $15, was considering getting that instead

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey @mat200,
any recommendations for the RJ45 connectors for that cable?
I have had these in my basket for a while but if there's anything cheaper in cost that is also good, would certainly prefer that.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FI9VU2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_1UdgCbZNEEZSS?creativeASIN=B000FI9VU2&linkCode=w61&imprToken=.me3QPlmOUr8IGC07jvZRw&slotNum=1&tag=ipctk-20

Also What crimper are you using? the one made by platinum is pricey and possibly an overkill.
Then I saw one on amazon that is IPCAMTALK branded for $15, was considering getting that instead
Hi @xmfan

I had picked up RJ45 connectors ( traditional style ), RJ45 keystones, 1-gang wall plates, as well as the crimper also from Monoprice. The crimper I picked up is no longer carried ( I did not get the cheapest one, but one with good reviews that was reasonably priced ). The 2-gang keystone wall plates from Monoprice are not good - can't fit all the connectors in them.

The ipcamtalk crimper looks good imho

I also picked up a trendnet patch panel from Amazon ( monoprice models did not have good reviews )

I read the RJ45 plug like the one you are looking at are easier to deal with.

Remember to practice a bit crimping and leave enough cable to mess up a couple of times when you do the real cable.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@xmfan also remember when running the cat5e/6 cable to keep it away from electrical lines, and florescent lights / motors.

R L

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Monoprice? huh?
You guys better start opening your eyes..
Check out
Newark.com
60 different cat5e bulk to choose from..
other companies out there too

OMG..Monoprice????

If you want cable/ connectors/others, stay away from retail (monoprice, amazon, ebay)...

Time for you to get educated!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Monoprice? huh?
Check out
Newark.com

OMG..Monoprice????

If you want cable/ connectors/others, stay away from retail (monoprice, amazon, ebay)...

Hi @"R L"

Why do you feel we can get better cable for the price from Newark?

Here's the selection of cat6 with the filters applied:

https://www.newark.com/w/c/cable-wire-cable-assemblies/networking-cable/prl/results?cable-shielding=unshielded&lan-category=cat6&sort=P_PRICE

xmfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Holy cr@p Batman....
Just checked out Newark.com using “cat6 bulk” in the search field and there was nothing even remotely close to monoprice bulk cable prices. I will do a 2nd pass and look through PC browser in case I missed something but the initial reaction is “What the.....”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KT88s

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Monoprice? huh?
Check out
Newark.com

OMG..Monoprice????

Newark eh? Well they do have a good selection when everyone else runs out.
I grew up knowing Newark, still get their emails every week, you can sure tell it's a Union shop when you look a Belden prices.....
Ok pricing till shipping gets involved. i'll post my guys in another reply.......

KT88s

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I like Yellow for Attic residential runs, (Because you can see it).
A "C" note + or - for 1K Feet of the Decent Cat6 on a WOOD Spool shipped to your door.

EBay item number:

xmfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I like Yellow for Attic residential runs, (Because you can see it).
A "C" note + or - for 1K Feet of the Decent Cat6 on a WOOD Spool shipped to your door.

EBay item number:
Ah, yes, it is a nice and bright cable color. I didn’t think that when ordering .

I got grey cable, will have bright floodlights in the attic when I start

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KT88s

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Back in the day when just a Yougin, i tripped on a dam run of RG59, A nice stud/rafter caught my fall, only my hands went THROUGH the ceiling.
Of course this was above the office of the CEO (He was out Golfing).........

R L

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You get what you pay for, as in life..

You want a 1000' roll of 5E for $29? Look around, it's out there, providing you know how to search, not Google

I'm sure it will work. Load up!

Go get 'em!

I also see $41 outdoor turret cams. Load up too!

slip kid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Why don't I want Shielded cable in my house? I know it's more expensive, but is it worth it for an unemployed person to crack for the cost?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Why don't I want Shielded cable in my house? I know it's more expensive, but is it worth it for an unemployed person to crack for the cost?
Hi @slip kid

If you do not run your cat5e/6 cable next to electrical motors and power, you can typically skip getting shielded cable.

Note - a properly shielded cable can be better for electrical induced noise and power ( properly good if you have lightning strikes in your area .. see the how to protect vs lightning threads )

slip kid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
We have plenty of lightning strikes here in the Southeast. The house is a basement rancher with some runs in the attic and some in the basement.
I've been in paralysis over this cable choice for too long. What to buy?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We have plenty of lightning strikes here in the Southeast. The house is a basement rancher with some runs in the attic and some in the basement.
I've been in paralysis over this cable choice for too long. What to buy?
Hi @slip kid

I'm not a pro on what to do with regards to lightning - so do check those threads out.. lots of great knowledge being shared there.

Lightning and grounding... what else can I do.
and
Lightning protection for ethernet cables

2 ways you can reduce electrical noise and power transfer to your cat5e/6 cables
1) Run UTP cables in EMT / metal conduit - properly grounded conduit + junction boxes
2) Use STP cables, properly grounded.
3) Run UTP cables away from electrical motors, powerlines, etc.. ( still possible to get hit from lightning.. ) - this is the typical approach to running cat5e/6 in many setups. "1/R squared" rule applies... that is 2x the distance from the electrical source = 1/4 the power of the electrical magnetic field. Or if you move the cable 2 feet away from a powerline you get 1/4 of the power from the power line influencing the cable. ( note if the power line is in metal conduit, it will be shielding the EMF )

I would still check the threads above and see what others are doing.

slip kid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'll get the UTP then for the bulk of wiring. The outside stuff, shielded and grounded as reasonably as I can convince myself to spend on it and where it seems needed.