Any experience with the LTS CMIP9142w-6?

Tacoman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am upgrading the cameras on my system from a very cheap Chinese manufactured WIFI camera set up on Blue Iris to a POE system keeping Blue Iris. Based on the specs in LTS catalog, the CMIP9142w-6 will suit my situation. Has anyone had any actual experience with this camera? Good or bad. Can anyone suggest a similar camera which they prefer (<$200)?

I am assuming the CMIP9142W-6 (6mm focal) will be very similar to the CMIP9142W:

CMIP9142W • 4.1MP • 4mm Fixed Lens • 1/3” CMOS • 2688x1520P@20fps • 2 Matrix IR LEDs up to 165ft • True WDR 120dB • IP66

Any help or opinions will be appreciated.

Thanks
John

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am upgrading the cameras on my system from a very cheap Chinese manufactured WIFI camera set up on Blue Iris to a POE system keeping Blue Iris. Based on the specs in LTS catalog, the CMIP9142w-6 will suit my situation. Has anyone had any actual experience with this camera? Good or bad. Can anyone suggest a similar camera which they prefer (<$200)?

I am assuming the CMIP9142W-6 (6mm focal) will be very similar to the CMIP9142W:

CMIP9142W • 4.1MP • 4mm Fixed Lens • 1/3” CMOS • 2688x1520P@20fps • 2 Matrix IR LEDs up to 165ft • True WDR 120dB • IP66

Any help or opinions will be appreciated.

Thanks
John
You will be much better off with the dahua starlight varifocal turret..see the thread on it.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a cmip9142w side-by-side with a Dauha IPC-HFW4431M (both 6mm, the 4431M is a chinese market camera ~$85). The 4431M image quality "beats the pants off" of the 9142w. More details in this thread LTS vs. Dahua camera comparison. Another forum member has tested a 2MP Dahua turret and bullet camera (~$180, as referred to in the previous post) against the 4431M and reports they are superior. My understanding of BI is that you can freely go with either camera. Would be an easy choice for me. Let me add if you choose the 9142w, I'm happy to offer you a good price on my gently-used one.

Tacoman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am amazed at the difference between the LTS and the Dahua. Are you sure the LTS was not set up wrong or defective? If not, I would demand a refund. That's not even as good as the $50 generic chinese cameras running on WIFI that I am replacing. Thanks for the help.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I am amazed at the difference between the LTS and the Dahua. Are you sure the LTS was not set up wrong or defective? If not, I would demand a refund. That's not even as good as the $50 generic chinese cameras running on WIFI that I am replacing. Thanks for the help.
LTS set up wrong? I'm certainly not an IP cam expert. I spent many hours with every conceivable setup trying to improve the image. The only thing that made a meaningful improvement is ROI. By comparison, the Dahua camera had the image I was looking for out of the box at its default settings.

LTS camera defective? I am a computer expert of sorts (~40 years as an engineer) and the image issue sure looks like software to me. They way ROI can dramatically improve a small area tells me that the capability is there in the hardware. I have one other cmip9142w (4 mm) and the image quality is similar.

Demand a refund? I tried and failed. My expectation was low after reading the "megapixels aren't all they're cracked up to be posts". It wasn't until I compared with a 3MP digital camera and the Dahua IP camera that I realized how much better the image should be. By then I was past the 90 day return window and they told me to pound sand.

I could live with the LTS cameras in some locations. My big issue is with the LTS NVR, which is why I've jumped horses to Dahua. I'm really "shooting myself in the foot" here because I'm going to attempt to sell the NVR soon. I should add that I'm not trying to make a sweeping LTS/Hikvision statement. My comments apply only to the specific cameras and NVR that I bought. With my industry experience this looks like a simple case of rushing something to market before it's ready. The rest of the product line is possibly great stuff.

Tacoman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I didn't mean to be confrontational. That image quality is almost useless and that is not your fault. The seller should have fixed the problem, helped you fix the problem or issued a refund. Would you pm me with the name of the seller? Which ever hardware I purchase, I want to avoid that seller.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I didn't mean to be confrontational. That image quality is almost useless and that is not your fault. The seller should have fixed the problem, helped you fix the problem or issued a refund. Would you pm me with the name of the seller? Which ever hardware I purchase, I want to avoid that seller.
I didn't take any of the perfectly logical questions as confrontational. I'll pm who the seller was but I need to make it clear that I have no beef with him. He was very responsive and spent many hours working with me on configuration settings and workarounds. A really good guy that knows his stuff pretty well. It was the home office that denied the return.

Tacoman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks again for you help. It sounded like I raised your hackles. I probably read more into your last response than I should have.