Any inexpensive 5GHz wifi outdoor cameras out there?

luder888

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
All of the outdoor wifi cameras I have looked at only supports 2.4GHz wifi. Are there any inexpensve ones out there that supports 5GHz? I am only looking for 720P or 1080P resolution. I want to spend < $100 on it. Nest and Arlos are out of my budget.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know of any that have 5 GHz wifi. Even if they did, your access point is probably still behind walls and 5 GHz doesn't penetrate walls nearly as well as 2.4 GHz.

If you need 5 GHz wifi for something badly enough, you can add it to anything with a wired network port, using an Ubiquiti NanoStation loco M5. I've looked for cheaper devices that could accomplish the same thing but came up with only a bunch of 2.4ghz products.

Edit: oh, here we go: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NR2VMNC

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Don't discount what @bp2008 said, however. If you don't have a nearby 5GHz signal source, you're not likely to manage a good connection using 5GHz, especially when multiple walls are between the source and the camera.

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
WiFi cameras all suck ass, you should consider PowerLine networking.. you have to run power to the camera one way or another so its not really wireless.

unless you have an outdoor 5GHz access point; I would not plan on good results using 5GHz outside.. the higher the frequency the more dependent you are on line of sight as the penetration power of smaller wavelengths than microwave is negligible.

luder888

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
WiFi cameras all suck ass, you should consider PowerLine networking.. you have to run power to the camera one way or another so its not really wireless.

unless you have an outdoor 5GHz access point; I would not plan on good results using 5GHz outside.. the higher the frequency the more dependent you are on line of sight as the penetration power of smaller wavelengths than microwave is negligible.
I already have a set of hardwired outdoor cameras as well as a few wifi ones indoor (all 2.4GHz and they all suck). Just looking for one to cover another area.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I already have a set of hardwired outdoor cameras as well as a few wifi ones indoor (all 2.4GHz and they all suck). Just looking for one to cover another area.
Note that some folks have issues with reolink cameras and BI...see threads..
You can make ANY camera wifi through the use of a 10 dollar wifi bridge...or consider powerline...best option is to suck it up and pay someone 100 bux to properly run the cable and avoid constant hassles and choose any camera you wish now and in the future..