Any ip cam apps or software that will trigger / send to Chromecast on motion detect?

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
We are new to this ip cam world so bear with us please ..... :D

We recently purchased a couple of Sharx Security cams and we liked it very much but we are a Deaf family and hoping to find a way to stream video to our TV interrupting whatever we may be watching. Our TV support CES and Chromecast is one way that will change input or even turn on TV when video is sent to Chromecast.

We already tried few android apps but all require you to trigger Chromecast manually to send to TV, none that we could find will allow motion detect trigger the Chromecast.

Reason is that we have one ip cam inside our porch aiming at the door and we want it to alert us when there someone coming to the door, audio alert won't work cuz we are Deaf so it needed to be visual alert. The Sharx camera does offer closed switch that we could connect a X10 controller to our lights but we still prefer to have video appeared on the TV interrupting whatever we may be watching. We have a HTPC DVR system so we won't lose out or miss our shows during interruptions.

Also I am trying out Blue Iris but is there a way to make motion detect to bring the whatever grid screen that motion was detected in to full screen on the monitor? It would be easier for me to notice it that a tiny red square border flashing around the grid screen that motion was detected in. Any other Windows software able to bring it up to full screen during motion detect?

Thank you

Bill

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Re: Any ip cam apps or software that will trigger / send to Chromecast on motion dete

Welcome to the forum. The biggest issue i see with your setup is that you will most likely get tons of false motion alerts that will drive you crazy...Using a PIR sensor to trigger the motion detection would be the way to go...Blue iris as far as i know cannot bring up the camera that is detecting motion in full screen, unless you set it to auto cycle cameras and to prioritize cameras detecting motion blue iris options>cameras...I dont know why this function is not built in...I know some users have requested it..you may want to shoot an email to the developer...there is a feature that will bring blue iris out of a minimized state when motion is detected camera properties >motion tab> restore/focus app windows (also recommended to activate bring to foreground under blue iris options>cameras..) but this feature does not bring it full screen...
As far as interrupting your tv with the camera feed..i have no clue..but im sure some of the advanced users can point you in the right direction..

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Re: Any ip cam apps or software that will trigger / send to Chromecast on motion dete

Welcome to the forum. The biggest issue i see with your setup is that you will most likely get tons of false motion alerts that will drive you crazy...Using a PIR sensor to trigger the motion detection would be the way to go...Blue iris as far as i know cannot bring up the camera that is detecting motion in full screen, unless you set it to auto cycle cameras and to prioritize cameras detecting motion blue iris options>cameras...I dont know why this function is not built in...I know some users have requested it..you may want to shoot an email to the developer...there is a feature that will bring blue iris out of a minimized state when motion is detected camera properties >motion tab> restore/focus app windows (also recommended to activate bring to foreground under blue iris options>cameras..) but this feature does not bring it full screen...
As far as interrupting your tv with the camera feed..i have no clue..but im sure some of the advanced users can point you in the right direction..

Thank you for your feedback.

You are right that the outdoor cam motion detect are triggering more than what we wanted but so far all the trigger occurs during night time when the bugs are attracted to the IR leds on the cam. We have thought about getting a IR illuminator and place it away from the cam then disable the IR on the cam itself. Also the camera we purchase will allow us to attach a heat motion detect if we want to purchase one.

But the cam we wanted to focus on is the one inside the porch where the bugs cannot get to and visitors need to enter into the porch to ring doorbell .

The outdoor cam are used to watch our cars in driveway and we only had it for less than a week, it detected a teenager boy trying to see if he can open the doors on our car and van at 1 am and he came back again on our property again at 4am. We have it on video but nothing was taken that night. We don't know who he is but I am sure we will find out soon. We had our stuffs stolen from car and van a couple of weeks ago not much was taken from it. Just sunglasses and loose coins in tray.

I did test a couple of Android apps that have Chromecast feature. When I manually enable Chromecast, it did automatically change the input on our TV to the HDMI Chromecast was on and started streaming from Cam. So I emailed the android developer to see if he could include "Enable Chromecast" in his motion detect setting. Hopefully he will consider it,

Thank for your feedback!

Bill

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

The outdoor cam are used to watch our cars in driveway and we only had it for less than a week, it detected a teenager boy trying to see if he can open the doors on our car and van at 1 am and he came back again on our property again at 4am. We have it on video but nothing was taken that night. We don't know who he is but I am sure we will find out soon. We had our stuffs stolen from car and van a couple of weeks ago not much was taken from it. Just sunglasses and loose coins in tray.
That kind of thing prompted my original interest in a garage camera. If it were a regular thing for me I would be fairly inclined to leave my door unlocked with a hidden way to notify me in my bedroom about it (there are various things on amazon that transmit to a receiver when something moves or gets the car's cabin light on it). Then I could call 911 while he's still in the car.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score

That kind of thing prompted my original interest in a garage camera. If it were a regular thing for me I would be fairly inclined to leave my door unlocked with a hidden way to notify me in my bedroom about it (there are various things on amazon that transmit to a receiver when something moves or gets the car's cabin light on it). Then I could call 911 while he's still in the car.
Yes there are things like this and we even used to have wireless motion detect system where you mount it outside and there a receiver which you plug your house lamp into. But stray cats and animals would trigger it to a point where it too annoying to leave it on so we stopped using it.

As I mentioned in my earlier post that we are a Deaf family so trying to call 911 and catching thief in the act is not feasible for us since we use a special phone for the Deaf and it take time to process a 911 call on it. Police will come however the thief may be long gone. So getting the action recorded on video is pretty much only options for us Deaf people right now.

I still would like try find a way to alert us, we'll never know if one of those thief is tempted to break into a Deaf family home while we all are sleeping :/

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

@TechBill you bring up some interesting points...I would suggest using higher end outdoor pir motion sensors...the one you used to turn on the lamp was probably a low end unit...i dont know enough about them..but maybe someone can chime in...

Last edited by a moderator:

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

Yes there are things like this and we even used to have wireless motion detect system where you mount it outside and there a receiver which you plug your house lamp into. But stray cats and animals would trigger it to a point where it too annoying to leave it on so we stopped using it.

As I mentioned in my earlier post that we are a Deaf family so trying to call 911 and catching thief in the act is not feasible for us since we use a special phone for the Deaf and it take time to process a 911 call on it. Police will come however the thief may be long gone. So getting the action recorded on video is pretty much only options for us Deaf people right now.

I still would like try find a way to alert us, we'll never know if one of those thief is tempted to break into a Deaf family home while we all are sleeping :/

Bill
Well, I suppose really loud, disorienting alarms would give you a tactical advantage against an intruder ;)

Good luck. It's a cool time we live in; I'm sure you can find a technical solution to what you need done.