Any IP camera that works when internet is down on the LAN as well as internet?

Reaction score
I've been looking at various IP cameras (Nest, Piper, Canary) and I really like them for being able to view motion activated feeds when I'm travelling (primary use case).
However, as a secondary use case, I'd like to use it in the house as a baby monitor. But to do that, I want it to work even if the internet is down (for obvious reasons) and avoid routing through the internet when at home.
192.168.0.1 routerlogin 192.168.l.l

Is there any camera or setup that I can use to accomplish this?

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Then you don't want a cloud-based camera wherein you generally scan a QR code or enter a UID which sets up P2P (peer to peer) networking.

Consider the Amcrest IP2M-841, a re-branded Dahua. It is ONVIF compatible, provides RTSP, is 1080p, IR, 2-way audio plus mike in/speaker out, has pan/tilt/digital zoom, record to micro SD card, wired or wireless and has alarm in/out, great with Blue Iris, VLC, etc. Comes with wall/ceiling mount, 1/4"-20 tripod mount female insert on bottom. Available in black or white for under $40 !

It can operate on your LAN-only network environment; no Internet access needed.

I've installed 4 of the V2 versions and 3 of it's lower-res (720p) cousins in the last 4 years and all have functioned with no hiccups.

I currently use 3 of them with Blue Iris; 1 on front porch to look at deliveries, 1 in garage and 1 in sunroom to watch the dogs; one of the 2 is operating on Wi-Fi. I have also set one up with Tinycam Pro on a Sony smart TV (Android).

VERY hard to beat for $40, IMO.

EDIT #2 of 4/1/21: V3 does NOT provide relay I/O nor jacks for an external mic and speaker.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A lot of us use OpenVPN that comes on Asus routers to do just that so that our cameras are isolated and never on the internet.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
how does openvpn isolate your cameras?
For clarity oVPN does not isolate the cameras, it is one of the methods for accessing cameras that are isolated. Good read here... VPN Primer for Noobs

The isolation can be achieved via several methods. In a nutshell, the IP cameras are on their own network, unable to reach the internet & separate from the 'everyday' network in your home.

rellor

n3wb
Reaction score
So you vpn into your own network to view nvr live streams etc - most secure method I can think of. I sync my footage to dropbox and view that way as I didn't need live view.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
So you vpn into your own network to view nvr live streams etc - most secure method I can think of. I sync my footage to dropbox and view that way as I didn't need live view.
so, at the least, your nvr has direct internet access to upload footage via dropbox, are your cameras on the same network? Syncing all your footage to the WWW... does you ISP take issue with your bandwidth consumption?

rellor

n3wb
Reaction score
Synology to storage, storage to dropbox. Only keep a weeks worth and bt/virgin have no issues. It's 10-15gb per week. Cameras on separate switch only accessible by Synology (2x network adapters)

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This completes the login process of your router via 192.168.1.1. You have now reached the web-based management utility of your router. Here you can modify the settings of the router.
How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? :idk:

Last edited by a moderator: