Any LaView NVR compatible PoE IP cams, with audio+mic? (i.e "2-way" audio)

protocol57

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys, I went thru the LaView website and I can't seem to find any decently priced cameras (budget is ~$250) there to be able to have a PoE powered IP cam on my porch that can also act as a "door cam" / video doorbell (ala... Ring/Nest/Blink etc... where the device notifies you someone is at the door)

Some background: I installed a LaView NVR kit I got from Newegg (NVR LV-N9808C8E) with two 2MP LV-PB932F4 and two 4MP (LV-PB3040W)... and I have them wired (PoE cat6).

The one on my porch is currently set to motion detect/alert, but has no audio at all. I'd like get a compatible camera that I can swap in and be able to get alerts and also listen in and speak thru the camera. I'm kinda new at this but I understand that LaViews are rebranded hikvisions? So I could look a hikvision that has audio? I really don't know much about hikvisions other than their model #s being a headache to keep straight.

On the LaView site I found a 4MP IP Motorized Bullet Camera (LV-PB6340-VF) that seems to have what I'd need but it's a bit pricey ($270) for just 1 camera, and 4MP seems overkill for my porch.

Anyhow, does anyone have experience with this 4MP IP Motorized Bullet Camera (LV-PB6340-VF) and or can recommend a suitable one that has audio i/o?

Thanks in advance!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys,..

The one on my porch is currently set to motion detect/alert, but has no audio at all. I'd like get a compatible camera that I can swap in and be able to get alerts and also listen in and speak thru the camera....
Hi Protocal

In general IP PoE cameras do not have speakers, some have microphones.

If you want to communicate with people look at the various intercom and video doorbell cameras ( which are really VoIP products with a camera attached ).

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
As matt200 says ip cameras don’t employ a voip system plus you will need a little amp and speaker and extra wires and power supply then have to deal with the delay it’s like talking on an old school am CB radio

protocol57

n3wb
Reaction score
As matt200 says ip cameras don’t employ a voip system plus you will need a little amp and speaker and extra wires and power supply then have to deal with the delay it’s like talking on an old school am CB radio
Sounds like a CB radio? Hmm That's a plus in my book! ;) jk

Thanks, yeah... I see now what you guys are trying to say... doing a bit more research it looks like very few PoE IP cams have 2-way audio, lots of wifi cameras do apparently...

I'm curious though...so even with something like that LV-PB6340-VF 4MP camera which has audio I/O jacks (from looking at the manual pdf two 3.5mm line in/line out jacks) that means, I'd still need an external microphone piece, and a speaker of some type? That's news to be, I thought they'd be build-in... But maybe again I'm thinking of wifi cameras that have audio/mic built in... Where are these 3.5mm audio/mic accessories sold though... I've never seen them on any online store

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds like a CB radio? Hmm That's a plus in my book! ;) jk

Thanks, yeah... I see now what you guys are trying to say... doing a bit more research it looks like very few PoE IP cams have 2-way audio, lots of wifi cameras do apparently...

I'm curious though...so even with something like that LV-PB6340-VF 4MP camera which has audio I/O jacks (from looking at the manual pdf two 3.5mm line in/line out jacks) that means, I'd still need an external microphone piece, and a speaker of some type? That's news to be, I thought they'd be build-in... But maybe again I'm thinking of wifi cameras that have audio/mic built in... Where are these 3.5mm audio/mic accessories sold though... I've never seen them on any online store
Hi Protocol,

So, remember there are numerous wire tap laws which vary from state to state that has impacted traditional security camera systems, THUS traditionally security / surveillance cameras have NOT had microphones.

Now, with the wave of startups following the Uber "let us break laws if we need to grab market share" - they really do not care about the laws, and are moving full steam ahead.

One day, someone will get sued for it - but by that time they ( Ring, Arlo, Nest,... ) will have made enough money that they will just pay the settlements.

This is why when you compare the consumer cloud dependent cameras to better more traditional security cameras you see a significant difference w/regards to audio support.

Also remember, consumers want the cheapest camera models possible - so extras get pulled out, and megapixels get pushed in.

protocol57

n3wb
Reaction score
numerous wire tap laws which vary from state to state that has impacted traditional security camera systems
Ah yea, I was wondering about this as well... given that pretty much all consumer wifi cameras have mics/audio recording capabilities.
I used to have a indoor rated wifi camera (foscam) on my covered porch, and I kinda miss being able to give the impression to solicitors (or would be burglars) that I was home but just would not bother opening the door... since I could hear them, and just say "No thank you, I'm busy sharpening my katana..." ;)

You're right though, I guess there's a grey area now, specially with video doorbells that are in the exterior (like Ring et all) ... I mean even in a one-party consent states, like where I live, where I can record it without saying anything if I'm a party... BUT am I a party when I record someone having a conversation as they come up to my porch to ring my door? Hmm not sure I am right? Laws are always catching up to technology I guess, but I digress.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ah yea, I was wondering about this as well... given that pretty much all consumer wifi cameras have mics/audio recording capabilities.
I used to have a indoor rated wifi camera (foscam) on my covered porch, and I kinda miss being able to give the impression to solicitors (or would be burglars) that I was home but just would not bother opening the door... since I could hear them, and just say "No thank you, I'm busy sharpening my katana..." ;)

You're right though, I guess there's a grey area now, specially with video doorbells that are in the exterior (like Ring et all) ... I mean even in a one-party consent states, like where I live, where I can record it without saying anything if I'm a party... BUT am I a party when I record someone having a conversation as they come up to my porch to ring my door? Hmm not sure I am right? Laws are always catching up to technology I guess, but I digress.
I would consider the LaView video doorbell to go with this kit... or one of the other Hikvision rebrands of it.

While it is WiFi, the price hits $100-130 often enough that it maybe worth going that route.

Personally I like wired cat6/5e, but pulling that to the doorbell is often a bit more work than many of us want to do. ( If you have an attached garage next to the front door, then it turns out to work very well to wire it up )

protocol57

n3wb
Reaction score
Personally I like wired cat6/5e, but pulling that to the doorbell is often a bit more work than many of us want to do
Yep. Getting wire anywhere near enough to my door, due to all the framing would have been hell, I definitely thought about that... I already worked like crazy and was able to get a cat 6 wire down 2 stories from my attic, past a fireblock, to a space between studs right behind the porch lights, and that's where my PoE camera is. Since I already have a PoE camera near enough to my door, I kinda wanted to have the audio, so the porch would be even better covered than having a doorbell cam, which IMO have a lot of drawbacks... (they can be stolen, depend on wifi strength, and can be glitchy when it comes to motion detection, etc... (according to my neighbors that have 'em).

Anyhow, where have you seen LaView wifi doorbells for $100-130, though...?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep. Getting wire anywhere near enough to my door, due to all the framing would have been hell, I definitely thought about that... I already worked like crazy and was able to get a cat 6 wire down 2 stories from my attic, past a fireblock, to a space between studs right behind the porch lights, and that's where my PoE camera is. Since I already have a PoE camera near enough to my door, I kinda wanted to have the audio, so the porch would be even better covered than having a doorbell cam, which IMO have a lot of drawbacks... (they can be stolen, depend on wifi strength, and can be glitchy when it comes to motion detection, etc... (according to my neighbors that have 'em).

Anyhow, where have you seen LaView wifi doorbells for $100-130, though...?
Hi Protocal,

Newegg, LaViewSecurity.com, ... sometimes Amazon... just watch SDs for it.