Any recommendations for a tabletop Pan & Tilt camera with 2-way audio communication?

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Specifically looking for one that would work with Blue Iris (the 2-way audio part). However, if there is one that works with Blue Iris (video) but you have to use an Android app for the 2-way audio to work I'd consider that too. I played with the one shown below but wasn't impressed with the audio at all. Seemed like audio was delayed and the sound quality, IMHO, was more similar to a really bad doorbell intercom system (low volume and low quality).

1661181200857.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is the goto one by many here. I don't recall the audio being any worse than other cams.

Were you running wifi or ethernet? Mine is ethernet. I forget now if the camera had NR for audio, but if it does, did you turn it off?

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I had the noise filter turned off and the cam was connected via Cat6. I seemed to recall playing with the mic and speaker volume sliders. I still have the cam so I'll give it another try. Just was wondering if there was something a little better.

1661187080266.png

Last edited:

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I removed the cam from Blue Iris then re-added it. As much as I despise it, I went back to the Blue Iris mobile app to test it again.

The mic icon is grayed out. Anyone remember what you have to do in the settings so that the mic icon can be enabled when you want to speak to the cam? At one time I had it working but not now.

1661195934454.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Go into app permissions on the phone and give the mic access.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Go into app permissions on the phone and give the mic access.
Thanks a bunch...forgot to do that after I reinstalled the BI app.

Next question: When I press the mic icon to talk it would seem the sound it being directed to my BI server in closet rather then sending the sound to the IP2M-841. What did I forget to setup this time?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Confirm in the audio setting in BI for that camera that it is that camera and not the computer. I have noticed if you don't set up audio as part of the initial add camera, it can do goofy things like that.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Confirm in the audio setting in BI for that camera that it is that camera and not the computer. I have noticed if you don't set up audio as part of the initial add camera, it can do goofy things like that.
Hmm, what am I looking for?

1661200093421.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Bottom right Output - change it to default

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dang - I just opened my setting up for that camera and confirms it works as intended.

Probably time for the ole delete camera and re-add to BI.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Bummer, I deleted then re-added from scratch. Still no workie. In fact, when you push the mic icon what happens is you get a loud static sound output from the Blue Iris PC's puny speaker. Almost sounds like bad/wrong encoding but none-the-less it should at least come out of the IP2M-841 speaker and not the PC speaker. Are you using Generic/ONVIF or Amcrest as the Make?

1661201421473.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep that is what mine looks like, except I have the buffer at 40MB - wonder if that makes a difference?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I had the noise filter turned off and the cam was connected via Cat6. I seemed to recall playing with the mic and speaker volume sliders. I still have the cam so I'll give it another try. Just was wondering if there was something a little better.

View attachment 137502
This works well with my 841 via the BI app and camera.

IP2M-841_audio.jpg

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
The issue seems to be that Blue Iris (via the Blue Iris app) is sending the audio from the BI app to the BI server instead of the actual camera. Where do you in settings to tell it the path back to the camera? I believe that when I said it worked (kind of crappy) I was using the Amcrest Pro app at the time and this is the first time using the BI app. BTW, the same result when I use the BI app on my tablet device....sound goes to the PC running BI instead of the cam.

UPDATE: I got it working by doing a factory reset of the cam then deleting and re-adding the cam back into BI.

Last edited: