Any suggestions for a cheap basic home CCTV system?

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A female friend is enthused at seeing my home cctv install and now wants cctv at her house. She doesn't have much money and I wouldn't be involved in any install, my only input is to offer some detached advice. She knows someone who is technically knowledgeable, not yet with CCTV. He would do the install, the simple the better. I am not certain yet what are her main concerns, this will influence what system is installed. Is it for her peace of mind, having CCTV cameras as a deterrent, CCTV to reduce crime in the neighborhood, etc? I'll add that they don't know yet but I know that there was a burglary in a property opposite recently.

Currently I'm considering they have just a live view of the drive and the back door area, 2 cameras, with alerts available which sorts the input side. They all have smart phones at this house. What are the cheapest storage options and I guess that they'll be using their smart phones to view CCTV footage as their preferred choice.

Are we taking NVR, cloud storage or what, firestick, an Android based system? The less maintenance this CCTV system requires the better.

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
define inexpensive a price.
I do not recommend a cloud storage, the internet connection can fail, It can be hacked, you information is public.
Direct access by a phone allows your home network to be hacked, and the cameras turned into BOTS.

I would start with a good quality system, then add more cameras as money comes available and need demands it.

Please read,study,plan

Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

A CCTV does not act as a deterrent, it is used to show what happens after the fact. A wired alarm system is a deterrent.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Just tell her to go purchase an Arlo system and walk away.

Posts that start with "Cheap, Inexpensive, simple" most likely should not explore options like NVR's, BI, ect.

Also someone that has zero technical knowledge or experience isn't going to want to manage a system. You are also opening yourself up to a massive amount of tech support issues even though you say "You don't want to be involved"...

It going against all my better judgement to say, but sometimes it's simply what's best. Tell her to go get an Arlo.

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll be hoping she has other priorities with the passage of time.