any suggestions on what camera to get

rekma

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
i want a wifi camera (just has power cord only so i dont have to run wires across and around the house) that is compatible with blue iris, night and day vision, price range under $300. good quality video. it will be connecting to a computer in the house by wifi. any suggestion will be appreciated. oh and if i can buy it maybe at costco or bestbuy would be even better but i dont mind ordering it online too.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
i want a wifi camera (just has power cord only so i dont have to run wires across and around the house) that is compatible with blue iris, night and day vision, price range under $300. good quality video. it will be connecting to a computer in the house by wifi. any suggestion will be appreciated. oh and if i can buy it maybe at costco or bestbuy would be even better but i dont mind ordering it online too.
Remember that no camera is wireless you always need power. With a network camera, you dont need to run the wires all around the house, just to the closest network connection...
Are you looking for an indoor or outdoor camera?

rekma

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
indoor but i might install one outdoor too.

rekma

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
and the wifi is a must since i only have one router and its going to be hard to install wires

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
indoor but i might install one outdoor too.
The best bang for your buck now is this camera. It is a rebranded hikvision
http://www.amazon.com/LaView-LV-PC902F2-W-Detection-Motion-Wireless/dp/B00PKO52B8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1437266842&sr=1-1&keywords=laview+panda
This is essentially the same model but comes with a longer warranty and looks a bit better, however, its 20 dollars more expensive and does not come with the power supply.
http://www.nellyssecurity.com/cameras/hi-def-cameras/ip-cameras/2-mp/hikvision-2cd2420f-iw-2mp-indoor-ir-wifi-cube-camera-2-8mm.html
I would strongly suggest wiring up the outdoor camera...if you insist on trying wifi outdoors, go with this http://www.nellyssecurity.com/cameras/hi-def-cameras/ip-cameras/2-mp/hikvision-2cd2120f-iw-outdoor-wifi-wireless-hd-2mp-ip-dome-security-camera.html

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Please be aware that none of these inexpensive cameras have the ability to pan, tilt, or zoom. You can position them however you want during installation, but then they are "fixed position". This should be obvious but some people who are new to this stuff make more assumptions than they should :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Good point bp...rekma, note the pan tilt is almost always a gimmick and not a function that you want or need.

3dogpottery

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
One solution that I am using myself is HomePlug. Basically, HomePlug is eithernet over your existing electrical wiring. One HomePlug device plugs into your router. You use an additional HomePlug for each
camera. I am currently using four HomePlugs: one on the router, two for my two cameras, and one on
the NVR. Since my Dahua cameras are powered by PoE, I also insert a PoE switch at each camera.

rekma

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
but like what if you install it and you dont want it to aim at a certain position but slightly to the left. wouldn't the pan tilt be good? so these recommendation doesn't pan tilt. would a bullet camera but better since you can at least adjust the attachment?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
but like what if you install it and you dont want it to aim at a certain position but slightly to the left. wouldn't the pan tilt be good? so these recommendation doesn't pan tilt. would a bullet camera but better since you can at least adjust the attachment?
You can manually adjust any of these cameras at any time after the install. By pan tilt i meant motorized pan tilt.

rekma

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
so this home plug device would be like a wifi? so if i buy the hikvision camera with poe, i wouldn't need the ethernet cables? just the home plug device? not sure how this works exactly.

rekma

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You can manually adjust any of these cameras at any time after the install. By pan tilt i meant motorized pan tilt.
with the third recommendation you gave me the surface would either be against a wall or below an eavestrough so i dont see how you can adjust it like the other ones.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
so this home plug device would be like a wifi? so if i buy the hikvision camera with poe, i wouldn't need the ethernet cables? just the home plug device? not sure how this works exactly.
home plug (power line adapters) replaces wifi, you would still need a power adapter..powerline will not work in every home - , it depends on the electric wiring.. For a solid signal dor your outdoor camera higher a professional run the cable in the wall, should cost 100-150. For the indoor cam, you should be fine on the wifi (depending on your router), using one of the cube cams i linked to..or test powerline ..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
with the third recommendation you gave me the surface would either be against a wall or below an eavestrough so i dont see how you can adjust it like the other ones.
The dome cover comes off, you can turn the lens over three axis, in any direction you want.

rekma

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
oh. i thought it was fixed so i assuming it was motorized. i see now. thanks.

Reaction score
if you like a wifi camera, please pay attention on below issue
1) normally the wifi camera signal is not that good. therefore, pls make sure the camera to your wireless router in about 10 meters.
2) outdoor would be more stable to use wired , and indoor to use wireless that would be better

currently most of wifi camera are support P2P, you can just enter the series number into the app and can view the video anywhere

Jade
CCTVMAN

rekma

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The best bang for your buck now is this camera. It is a rebranded hikvision
http://www.amazon.com/LaView-LV-PC902F2-W-Detection-Motion-Wireless/dp/B00PKO52B8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1437266842&sr=1-1&keywords=laview+panda
This is essentially the same model but comes with a longer warranty and looks a bit better, however, its 20 dollars more expensive and does not come with the power supply.
http://www.nellyssecurity.com/cameras/hi-def-cameras/ip-cameras/2-mp/hikvision-2cd2420f-iw-2mp-indoor-ir-wifi-cube-camera-2-8mm.html
I would strongly suggest wiring up the outdoor camera...if you insist on trying wifi outdoors, go with this http://www.nellyssecurity.com/cameras/hi-def-cameras/ip-cameras/2-mp/hikvision-2cd2120f-iw-outdoor-wifi-wireless-hd-2mp-ip-dome-security-camera.html
so with the third choice, what kind of power supply would i need to get in order to connect it to a power outlet rather than POE?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

rekma

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
currently most of wifi camera are support P2P, you can just enter the series number into the app and can view the video anywhere

Jade
CCTVMAN
Are you saying it's easy to get access to? I'm doing wifi inside and out and also using blue iris program and app to access it. Not sure about how easy it is to get access to the camera but I doubt there will be a computer genius who just happens to stumble upon my cameras wifi or should I be worried? Lol