Any way to change the web server ID of BI?

pov2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When I type my BI web server URL into a browser I am greeted with '... is requesting your username and password. The site says: "BlueIris"' and I am prompted to enter my username and password.

Is there any way to change what "the site says" from BlueIris to something else? I haven't found where it is coming from. In the About tab in the Blue Iris Settings the system name is NOT BlueIris. I don't want anyone who stumbles upon my open port to know that it's BI.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When I type my BI web server URL into a browser I am greeted with '... is requesting your username and password. The site says: "BlueIris"' and I am prompted to enter my username and password.

Is there any way to change what "the site says" from BlueIris to something else? I haven't found where it is coming from. In the About tab in the Blue Iris Settings the system name is NOT BlueIris. I don't want anyone who stumbles upon my open port to know that it's BI.
You shouldn't be port forwarding.
How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) | IP Cam Talk

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey, @pov2. Blue Iris does not provide a way for you to change that particular identification. Even if it did, that would not matter much because it also includes a header "Server: BlueServer/5.0.1.0" (that is the version number in there too) with every HTTP response.

If you want to prevent anyone from being able to figure out what you are hosting there, you will need to configure your reverse proxy server to add its own HTTP authentication requirement. That way the client must authenticate before they can do any communication at all with Blue Iris. You will probably also need to disable your authentication requirement for Blue Iris, or check the box for "Use secure session keys and login page" because I don't think two nested layers of HTTP authentication will work.