Anybody know what this is?

Discussion in 'Camera Captures' started by marigo, May 14, 2019.

Share This Page

1. marigo

marigo Getting the hang of it

Hi all,

Last night I have several captures from my doorcam showing a white spot.
    I don't know what it is. A bug maybe or some reflextion from something?

Anyone an idea?

2. ThePeacockRanch

ThePeacockRanch Young grasshopper

It's a spider or some other insect lowering itself on the web. I see that stuff almost every day!
    You can take a broom and knock the loose stuff down and then spray with some of the newer chemicals that last months instead of minutes.

lulu5kamz and marigo like this.
  3. marigo

ok, thanks for your reply. I will do some cleaning around the camera. See if that will help.

ThePeacockRanch likes this.
  4. J Sigmo

J Sigmo Known around here

These are especially common with bullet cameras because the spiders build webs from the "overhang" sun shield thing down to the body of the camera below. That puts their web out just far enough to be brightly illuminated by the IR LEDs and also be seen by the camera's lens. I have to clean spider webs off of bullet cameras several times per day here. Eventually, I will replace all bullet cameras with turret style!

marigo and mat200 like this.
  5. c hris527

c hris527 Known around here

Its not a Ghost Orb, Its ALL in front of the objects in the background, Now If it tucked itself behind your bushes and flew around that might be something different.

marigo likes this.
  6. looney2ns

looney2ns IPCT Contributor

What chemicals? Be careful around the lens with any chemicals.

marigo likes this.
  7. ThePeacockRanch

ThePeacockRanch Young grasshopper

I've been using Spectracide Bug Stop. The chemical is Lamda-Cyhalothrin. The label says up to nine months control, but I have been only applying it once a year outside.
    I see the newest label says 12 months control: https://www.amazon.com/Spectracide-HG-96098-Insesct-Control/dp/B01KGK8BO0/ref=sr_1_3?gclid=Cj0KCQjwzunmBRDsARIsAGrt4mvXLfIUAinToV6tKbpcMknPL_V7ltB0xvscSwUIAJR16JEk9YbSpYcaArMgEALw_wcB&hvadid=176970787656&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9028899&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=17950401435553794388&hvtargid=aud-676677759524:kwd-936202044&hydadcr=13737_9595209&keywords=spectracide+bug+stop&qid=1557867544&s=gateway&sr=8-3
    Spray the corners and edges of the ceiling and where bugs can hide in the shadows from the sun in the nooks and crannies.
    You can use a soft cotton towel/rag if you get overspray on your domes or lenses. It's not caustic. It just works!
    Oh...ghost orbs...was the OP hoping for that? I hadn't given it much thought until now!

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    marigo likes this.
  8. dryfly

dryfly Getting the hang of it

Demon WP Insecticide works great against spiders. It does require spraying a few times per year. I put a plastic Walmart bag around my cameras when spraying to prevent it getting on camera/lens. I am going to look into the Spectracide Bug Stop since it may last longer.

marigo likes this.
  9. J Sigmo

J Sigmo Known around here

I'm always amused when these "Ghost Hunters" set up a camera with its own light source, which is much like the built-in IR illuminators in a security camera. Or they shoot stills with a small "point and shoot" digital camera whose flash is also very near its lens. And then they act surprised when they see reflections from dust near to the camera. They always make these floating dust specks out to be "orbs", presumably some sort of spirits or ghosts.

When I die, I don't want to come back as a tiny speck of dust! I want to be able to do some serious haunting, darn it! :)

We get a lot of wind here, and it's pretty dry most of the time. So blowing dust is almost ever-present. The built-in IR illuminators on security cameras give us a constant light show. Until I started using Blue Iris and could set the minimum size for object detection, the motion-triggered recording built into some of my cheesier cameras was more or less constant.

With spider webs and bullet cams, they string the webs from the "hood" down to the bottom or side of the camera body, and then it moves with the breezes and also sets off the motion detection more or less continuously.

As nice as some of the bullet style cameras are, I don't think I'll ever buy one again, and if I do, I'll take it apart and use a band saw to remove the overhanging hood.

And I may well try some of the insecticides that you guys have recommended. That might provide a lot of relief!

marigo and ThePeacockRanch like this.
  10. Valhalla2018

Valhalla2018 n3wb

It's a reindeer…...

marigo likes this.
  11. marigo

I also thought it was something like that. :)

I have bought anti spider spray that should last for 6 months. So I will see if that will help to get rid of those insects.

ThePeacockRanch likes this.