Anyone running DeepStack 2022.01.1?

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone has upgraded to the latest release. If so, how's it working for you? Thanks!

MikeLud1

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone has upgraded to the latest release. If so, how's it working for you? Thanks!
I am on 2022.01.1 there is an issue with Blue Iris starting up DeepStack. See the below post for more details also you need to be using CUDA version 11.6.

I figured out the issue and now have Blue Iris starting DeepStack version 2022.01.1. The issue was DS version 2021.09.01 had two of the same files just named differently in folder "C:\DeepStack\server" one was named deepstack.exe and the other was named server.exe. Blue Iris is trying to starts up server.exe. DeepStack version 2022.01.1 only has one file in folder "C:\DeepStack\server" named deepstack.exe. The fix was copy deepstack.exe in the same folder with the file name server.exe.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Any noticeable improvements in the new release?

bethzur

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just installed it this weekend after upgrading the box I run it on. I have a RTX 3060 and this release runs out of the box. I had to go through a tedious upgrade process to get the docker container working with the 3060 using the old version. They finally updated DeepStack's CUDA library to work with the RTX 30x0 boards.

I run DS on a Linux server and BI talks to it over my network. My BI server didn't have room for the 3060 and now my Linux server has a new Intel 11700K vs a 6500 before the update. (Also doubled the RAM to 32 GB.)

Analysis seems maybe a little faster. It's hard to say. I'm doing sub streams which are 30-50 ms each. I mostly upgraded the hardware for other services I also run on that box.

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Where do you get the updated version? Do you have to uninstall the on your computer first before upgrading?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would uninstall the first one so that there is no left over remnants messing with it.

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would uninstall the first one so that there is no left over remnants messing with it.
Thanks. Looking in the DeepStack folder, all the way @ the bottom is unins000. I take it that's what I click on.

Very new @ this. Not much experience with windows.

Actually, needing to uninstall BI. Put together a completely new system just to use BI. Have a Lorex N881A6 NVR with eight 4k cams, four E861AB and four LNB9272S (not the best after following this form) and 2 PTZ's, LNZ44P12B (came with system) and SD5A425XA-HNR (from Andy, best thing I have).

This is what I got:
i7-12700k,
ASUS Prime Z690-A LGA 1700 motherboard
MSI MAG CoreLiquid P240-AIO CPU cooler,
16GB Crucial DDR5 RAM ( 2, 8GB sticks),
Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2, Thermalright M.2 Heatsink cooler,
Samsung 980 Pro 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2, Sabrent M.2 2280 Heatsink(copper),
Segotep 750w fully modular gaming power supply 80 plus Gold Certified PSU w/silent 140mm fan
Windows 10 pro 64 bit
YuanLey 18 port PoE switch, 16 Poe+
Fractal Design Meshify Black ATX flexable dark tinted tempered glass window mid tower computer case

Read the threads in this form since middle of 2021. Bought all this syuff and had my nephew put it together in Nov. Doesn't work like your guys' does (wittaj, sebastiantombs). I'm sure it's installed wrong. Thinking of paying for the $99 upgrade just to get it right. I read and re-read till I'm crossed eyed.

Don't have the tech skills and need a step by step with pictures on how to uninstall and install the whole thing.

I know I rambled on but thinking of posting since Nov, figured I post it here since you (wittaj) responded to this post.

Plan on doing at least four license plate capture cams too.

Thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No graphics card? You really do need an NVIDIA card for efficient image processing. Installing the latest release is pretty easy now.
For most users, a dedicated graphics card will provide no meaningful benefit to Blue Iris, and will only serve to consume additional electricity, especially now with the substream option. Onboard Intel graphics are more than enough.

GPU is only of a benefit for Deepstack now. Look how many people here ran BI fine without a GPU and only threw one in to improve Deepstack performance times.

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
For most users, a dedicated graphics card will provide no meaningful benefit to Blue Iris, and will only serve to consume additional electricity, especially now with the substream option. Onboard Intel graphics are more than enough.

GPU is only of a benefit for Deepstack now. Look how many people here ran BI fine without a GPU and only threw one in to improve Deepstack performance times.
Reading though the threads, it looked like I didn't need a graphics card, besides prices jumped.

But one of the reasons I got into this type of system is to run some kind of AI like DeepStack. So, I think I'm going to end up getting one anyway. Any recommendations?

Lorex NVR is terrible with all the motions. Like the images I get with the cams, though they're not at the 1/2.8 lens you guys recommend here.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can certainly run Deepstack without a GPU as long as you don't go crazy on the number of cameras.

I was running 5 of my cameras with Deepstack on a 4th generation CPU just fine. I got a GPU to offload OpenALPR and that proved to be worse than not using it, so I now use it for DeepStack. Cut my Deepstack returns times by about 5-8 times.

Many here, including myself got an economical GTX1030 or PNY400 (should be able to find one under $150) and it is more than enough. But if you want to spend more, it will certainly improve the time for return. But since you are getting a 12th gen, I'd suggest trying it without a GPU and only get one if you are getting poor performance return times.

bethzur

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I tried doing 4MP images with a 6th generation i5 and that timed out after 15 seconds. I didn't try the sub stream, however, which I suspect would have been much better. I kept entering the NewEgg shuffle and finally got a 3060 for a normal price.

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You can certainly run Deepstack without a GPU as long as you don't go crazy on the number of cameras.

I was running 5 cameras with Deepstack on a 4th generation CPU just fine. I got a GPU to offload OpenALPR and that proved to be worse than not using it, so I now use it for DeepStack. Cut my Deepstack returns times by about 5-8 times.

Many here, including myself got an economical GTX1030 or PNY400 (should be able to find one under $150) and it is more than enough. But if you want to spend more, it will certainly improve the time for return. But since you are getting a 12th gen, I'd suggest trying it without a GPU and only get one if you are getting poor performance return times.
Think that's way I need a total reinstall. Get nothing @ night, so trying to run custom dark and the guy that put out the custom models where your supposed to use "objects:0, general,dark."

Get in the 1,000's to 10,000's ms in DeepStack + it timeouts and says it restarted.

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Think that's way I need a total reinstall. Get nothing @ night, so trying to run custom dark and the guy that put out the custom models where your supposed to use "objects:0, general,dark."

Get in the 1,000's to 10,000's ms in DeepStack + it timeouts and says it restarted.
Willing to go up to$500 on a graphics card if you have specific recommendations for the system I have.