Anyone seem this network hiccup before?

ProTapper

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So, as I learn my way through, you guys know that only the weirdest crap happens to me... :) and that's cool... I'm learning a lot cause of it...

So, here's the latest strange issue I have:

1. BI push notifications work and have worked perfectly, up until yesterday. As in, they come in quick, they have an alert image with the DS mark up, but this is now ONLY happening when I toggle to Cellular network! When I go to my Wi-Fi, most often I'm getting slowish push notifications, and the alert images just don't show up! Once in a random while they will, but mostly not!

Here's what possibly has changed:

1. I swapped a router late last night that sits directly in front of the BI machine. This router is giving funky IP assignment issues when I connect to its SSID. I have DHCP turned off APs throughout my house and this is one of them. DHCP comes straight from my ISP's gateway modem that's been working well for about a week, until last night. Reverting this back to a better quality router is not solving this issue.

2. I also upgraded the BI version to the latest stable from the Golden version of 5.4.6.3 in persuit of the custom models. I failed, as the notifications issues were back and custom models didn't work. During this use, I noticed this no images issue. So I rolled back. The notification BI issues were gone for one of my cameras, however, this push notifications issue hasn't gone!

I have tried:

Rolling back BI. Rebooting gateway. Rebooting APs. Swapping APs. But nothing makes it work consistently. The only thing that works like lightning is when I'm on cellular data... Then everything flows like it used.

Has anyone seen this nonsense before? If so, did you ever find a fix and if you did, what was it?

Appreciate the help thanks!

ProTapper

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Run the remote setup in BI and it will check to see if everything is setup correctly since you changed the router.
Good call, my friend, let me try... I think it's intermittent, like, some events get through, others don't come through with the picture... Really, really odd!

ProTapper

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Update, no solutions and completely mind boggling!

Push notifications with the image preview works 100% of the time outside of my wifi! Cell network. Other wifi networks, cannot figure this out! Have tried:

1. Factory resetting ISP gateway
2. Factory resetting router in front of BI machine
3. Changing BI routers
4. Deleting and creating phones in BI
5. Changing BI server address
6. Changing BI server port

Any other ideas guys?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Is your ISP modem a router as well? maybe simplify the moving parts from BI to the outside world?
Not a network expert, but I also have a second router in my home setup, with dhcp coming from ISP Modem.
I fooled around with UI3 and the BI Web Server, as a learning experiance, but never did get it to work.
and my router is too old to have a VPN built in, So I bagged the project until I get a TP link router with the VPN talked about in the forums.....My main Bi machine is at Work.
BI at home is running an Amcrest video doorbell. and the occasional IPC purchase.

ProTapper

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is your ISP modem a router as well? maybe simplify the moving parts from BI to the outside world?
Not a network expert, but I also have a second router in my home setup, with dhcp coming from ISP Modem.
I fooled around with UI3 and the BI Web Server, as a learning experiance, but never did get it to work.
and my router is too old to have a VPN built in, So I bagged the project until I get a TP link router with the VPN talked about in the forums.....My main Bi machine is at Work.
BI at home is running an Amcrest video doorbell. and the occasional IPC purchase.
What do suggest in terms of simplification? I've taken the router out in front the ISP and living with their limited features for the sake of simplification, that is, ISP Modem, Router into dummy router AP going into the BI machine.

Appreciate your ideas.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
ugh.....not the guru i wish I was on this type configuration. this is where I want to take the Blue pill and wake up back in the Matrix...

ProTapper

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ugh.....not the guru i wish I was on this type configuration. this is where I want to take the Blue pill and wake up back in the Matrix...
Haha appreciate your help, nonetheless, bud. I'm try to do all in my power to not blow up the BI install and the Windows machine as well... That's too much work!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think with all of your devices/routers/access points/etc. it is operator error :lmao:

Something in one of the devices is not liking your port forwarding configuration and when you are on the same LAN network as the BI computer, I think it cannot resolve how to point back to the LAN when it is pointing to WAN:port#

So if you insist on using port forwarding, then take one of your 12 routers and put the BI computer on its own LAN that you then do not connect your devices to so that when you are on a different LAN within your home and you point the app or UI3 to WAN:port it will work.

Or have two "servers" in the app and two shortcuts to UI3. One is LAN:port when on the same network and the other is WAN:port when not on the same network.

Or just go with OpenVPN lol.

Getting yet another router to place in front of your ISP router/modem is a bad idea and will cause you even more problems than you have now LOL.

ProTapper

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think with all of your devices/routers/access points/etc. it is operator error :lmao:

Something in one of the devices is not liking your port forwarding configuration and when you are on the same LAN network as the BI computer, I think it cannot resolve how to point back to the LAN when it is pointing to WAN:port#

So if you insist on using port forwarding, then take one of your 12 routers and put the BI computer on its own LAN that you then do not connect your devices to so that when you are on a different LAN within your home and you point the app or UI3 to WAN:port it will work.

Or have two "servers" in the app and two shortcuts to UI3. One is LAN:port when on the same network and the other is WAN:port when not on the same network.

Or just go with OpenVPN lol.

Getting yet another router to place in front of your ISP router/modem is a bad idea and will cause you even more problems than you have now LOL.
Hey AJ, I just answered via DM... I seem to coming back, but still testing!

How do you set up two servers in the app?

I know you're trolling, but I may consider a router dedicated to the BI computer for simplicity!

My ISP gateway is real crappy... Having a router in front of it is a big time necessity, for any sort of networking control, trust me... :)...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I understand and know that ISP modem/routers suck, but you have to run the ISP modem/router in passthrough or bridge mode as we have told you to do....um who is having problems LOL:lmao:

Your modem gives the public IP address to the router, and the router assigns the private addresses to the devices connected to it and if you put the router in front of the modem, you have potentially just messed up your system even worse.

If you put the router first, your internet provider does not offer multiple public IP addresses before the full transition from IPv4 to IPv6. So one or all connections will likely fail and all of the devices connected to the router ahead of the modem would be exposed to the internet. Once it talks to the first unit, everything else will likely fail or open to serious hacking. If the router is before the modem, then each port on the switch is a different IP address that doesn’t exist as those are LAN addresses. I am sure someone can configure a way to make it happen, but would be way overkill, etc. for a residential situation.

But what router can you purchase to put ahead of an ISP modem/router that isn't also a modem? And would your ISP allow you to use your own modem?

ProTapper

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I understand and know that ISP modem/routers suck, but you have to run the ISP modem/router in passthrough or bridge mode as we have told you to do....um who is having problems LOL:lmao:

Your modem gives the public IP address to the router, and the router assigns the private addresses to the devices connected to it and if you put the router in front of the modem, you have potentially just messed up your system even worse.

If you put the router first, your internet provider does not offer multiple public IP addresses before the full transition from IPv4 to IPv6. So one or all connections will likely fail and all of the devices connected to the router ahead of the modem would be exposed to the internet. Once it talks to the first unit, everything else will likely fail or open to serious hacking. If the router is before the modem, then each port on the switch is a different IP address that doesn’t exist as those are LAN addresses. I am sure someone can configure a way to make it happen, but would be way overkill, etc. for a residential situation.

But what router can you purchase to put ahead of an ISP modem/router that isn't also a modem? And would your ISP allow you to use your own modem?
Sorry AJ, I think there are a few misunderstandings here that'll maybe bring you off the ledge a bit haha!

1. I am running ISP modem/router/gateway in Passthrough mode.

2. By "in front" I mean, between the Modem to my LAN network. So... ISP (WAN) - > Master Router (getting public IP) - > Rest of my LAN with all the APs with DHCP off.

You still think this is disastrous or wrong?

I was just commending you for your interesting idea to put use one of the wired drops as an exclusive LAN for BI to reduce any complications of multiple APs doing their thing...