Anyone use the Roku IP Cam Viewer to see live view on their TV ?

GKL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If so, I have a couple questions if anyone can help.

First is it safe to use the Roku IP Cam Viewer ?

I ask this because I read elsewhere of possible concerns of being hacked, but did not yet get any update if it is a genuine concern and if so if it is an ongoing concern or is there a solution.

Second, it is confusing trying to figure out exactly what to fill in on all the fields when trying to set up the camera access in the IP Cam Viewer set up page, so a precise explanation by anyone who has successfully done so would be appreciated.

I use a Hikvision DS-2CD2342WD-I 4MM camera.

For those not familiar with that Roku app, here is a link - Roku

Thanks !

LBJ

n3wb
Reaction score
I tried to get that app going with my Hikvision Turret for about 2 hours, trying all configurations, and I gave up.

As for security, I didn't see the Roku app as a concern, but I'm no expert.

Reactions: GKL

GKL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I tried to get that app going with my Hikvision Turret for about 2 hours, trying all configurations, and I gave up.

Thanks for the reply, figuring out the right stuff to put in the set up fields has been a challenge so far but if I can get it working I'll see about posting what I did here on this thread. It may not be real soon as I have other things I'm working on too, but hopefully within a week, IF I get it figured out :wtf: :lol:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Roku doesn't support RTSP. You're limited to mjpeg or refreshing static jpegs.

You're better off with with something you can run android apps like Blue Iris mobile app or Tiny Cam Pro, an amazon Fire stick, Nvidia Shield, or other android stick.

t84a

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Same. Pretty crappy.

GKL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Roku doesn't support RTSP. You're limited to mjpeg or refreshing static jpegs.

You're better off with with something you can run android apps like Blue Iris mobile app or Tiny Cam Pro, an amazon Fire stick, Nvidia Shield, or other android stick.
Thanks for the reply !

Well, the Roku IP Camera Viewer would only be very occasionally used as a secondary viewer since we have a big screen TV and it would be neat to see the view that large, so it's not a big deal, but would be neat since we already have a Roku. We normally view our live cam feed from our windows smartphones and from an android tablet and I can use my laptop viewer iVMS-4200 also.

I do understand the Roku is limited to mjpeg for video, but I can't figure out how to even get that to work.

I'm not sure exactly what to put in some of the fields of the set up screen, it is my understanding that it varies according to the model of camera, and we use a HIKVISION DS-2CD2342WD-I but I am not sure what mjpeg and jpeg links to use. Also, I'm guessing the login and password is to the camera and not the Roku.

ipcameraviewer_roku.jpg

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I tried using an old dlink usb cam with no luck with any cam app for Roku a few years ago. I think HK cams will only stream MJPEG using a sub channel (see below), so resolution won't be great. Access the cam using IE browser and check out the config (see image below), change the sub stream channel to MJPEG. Then try using VLC and http://admin:secret@192.168.1.60/Streaming/Channels/2/preview or http://admin:secret@192.168.1.60/Streaming/Channels/2 , where admin and secret are your camera's login/password. If that works, then try it in the Roku app...good luck.

Login: admin
Password: secret
MJPEG Link: /Streaming/Channels/2/preview

or
MJPEG Link: /Streaming/Channels/2

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
User and password would be for the camera.
You will most likely need to setup a substream in the cam for mjpeg.
Hopefully someone will be along that can give you the correct URL to enter.

GKL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hikvision HTTP MJPEG Stream

Maybe this is the URL? IDK may be worth a try.
I tried using an old dlink usb cam with no luck with any cam app for Roku a few years ago. I think HK cams will only stream MJPEG using a sub channel (see below), so resolution won't be great. Access the cam using IE browser and check out the config (see image below), change the sub stream channel to MJPEG. Then try using VLC and http://admin:secret@192.168.1.60/Streaming/Channels/2/preview or http://admin:secret@192.168.1.60/Streaming/Channels/2 , where admin and secret are your camera's login/password. If that works, then try it in the Roku app...good luck.

Login: admin
Password: secret
MJPEG Link: /Streaming/Channels/2/preview

or
MJPEG Link: /Streaming/Channels/2

User and password would be for the camera.
You will most likely need to setup a substream in the cam for mjpeg.
Hopefully someone will be along that can give you the correct URL to enter.
Thanks for all the replies, they are appreciated !

I'm not sure I'd want to change the substream to mjpeg from the current setting as I guess it might reduce the video quality on the other viewers we're already using.

One thing I plan on trying later when no one is watching tv is to see if an app on my windows phone called "project my screen" would show the live feed from my phone screen on the tv for the occasional times I might want to see a large screen video feed. I could also try the same think from my computer. That would be simpler if it works. I'll see about posting on this thread again by tomorrow if not sooner after I have a chance to try it.

GKL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Okay, tried the "project my screen" app on my phone, it found the Roku but could not connect to project the screen, I might try to figure out later if can be made to work or not, but if not that's okay as I was able to project the screen from my laptop.

My laptop stays put about 99% of the time and I have an HDMI cable from my laptop to my big screen tv and when I switch to that input with the tv remote it shows whatever is on my computer screen and it worked for showing the live feed from the iVMS-4200, which I put in full screen mode on my computer and it was full screen on the tv and the image was very sharp !

Of course I can't do other stuff on the computer at the same time since it projects whatever is on my computer screen at the time, but I would not usually have it set to view on the tv for more than a few minutes at a time. I have a tablet set up with a constant live feed for ongoing monitoring and would only project to the tv when I wanted a super large view for a few minutes.

Thanks again for all the replies and suggestion of help, but I think unless Roku comes up with a more compatible easier to use app that does not require mjpeg I'll just stick with what I just posted for now.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Okay, tried the "project my screen" app on my phone, it found the Roku but could not connect to project the screen, I might try to figure out later if can be made to work or not, but if not that's okay as I was able to project the screen from my laptop.

My laptop stays put about 99% of the time and I have an HDMI cable from my laptop to my big screen tv and when I switch to that input with the tv remote it shows whatever is on my computer screen and it worked for showing the live feed from the iVMS-4200, which I put in full screen mode on my computer and it was full screen on the tv and the image was very sharp !

Of course I can't do other stuff on the computer at the same time since it projects whatever is on my computer screen at the time, but I would not usually have it set to view on the tv for more than a few minutes at a time. I have a tablet set up with a constant live feed for ongoing monitoring and would only project to the tv when I wanted a super large view for a few minutes.

Thanks again for all the replies and suggestion of help, but I think unless Roku comes up with a more compatible easier to use app that does not require mjpeg I'll just stick with what I just posted for now.
The Roku API/SDK doesn't support RTSP. The only live video protocol it supports is HLS so you'd have to transcode the stream. A fire tv is a far nicer solution.

GKL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The Roku API/SDK doesn't support RTSP. The only live video protocol it supports is HLS so you'd have to transcode the stream. A fire tv is a far nicer solution.
Neat, so would a "Fire TV Stick" plugged into your current tv work also ?

I just did a search and found a "Fire TV Stick with Alexa Voice Remote Streaming Media Player" online for just under $40. Could you have both a Roku and a "Fire TV Stick" connected to the same TV and just switch between the 2 according to what you wanted to use ? I would think so.

Anyhow, not ready to get one right now but will keep it in mind as a later possibility, for right now I'll use the HDMI connection.

Thanks for the info !

t84a

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you have android, you can screen mirror with Chromecast.

GKL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the idea, I do have some old android phones I just use on WIFI only (no sim cards) I'll have to give that a try but likely tomorrow because people are watching stuff on the tv right now :)

If it works then it won't tie up my computer like it would doing it the HDMI method.

GKL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks again, I tried screen mirroring from an old android phone and it worked great and was EASY !

So I figured why bother with that complicated "IP Cam Viewer" Roku app when screen mirroring is so easy !

I found a Roku help page on screen mirroring, it seems that the are different terms that might be used on different android devices, on my old android phone under "settings" then "share and connect" there was an off/on slide button to turn on "Miracast", once I did it searched and found my Roku device and then I tapped it to connect. Then having the TV on Roku there is a pop up on the bottom of the screen to accept the connection, once accepted, anything on my android phone screen mirrors to the TV screen, then on the phone I open iVMS-4500 and start the live camera feed which then appears on my big screen TV. When I'm done I turn off Miracast on the phone till the next time I want to mirror.
(I know you likely already know all that t84a, but I detailed it for those who might be totally new to mirroring :))

Here is the link to that Roku help page - Roku

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks again, I tried screen mirroring from an old android phone and it worked great and was EASY !

So I figured why bother with that complicated "IP Cam Viewer" Roku app when screen mirroring is so easy !

I found a Roku help page on screen mirroring, it seems that the are different terms that might be used on different android devices, on my old android phone under "settings" then "share and connect" there was an off/on slide button to turn on "Miracast", once I did it searched and found my Roku device and then I tapped it to connect. Then having the TV on Roku there is a pop up on the bottom of the screen to accept the connection, once accepted, anything on my android phone screen mirrors to the TV screen, then on the phone I open iVMS-4500 and start the live camera feed which then appears on my big screen TV. When I'm done I turn off Miracast on the phone till the next time I want to mirror.
(I know you likely already know all that t84a, but I detailed it for those who might be totally new to mirroring :))

Here is the link to that Roku help page - Roku
Support varies by device, but there are a lot of phones and tablets that actually support protocols like MHL which allows you to plug in a special usb cable adapter that provides HDMI out.

GKL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Support varies by device, but there are a lot of phones and tablets that actually support protocols like MHL which allows you to plug in a special usb cable adapter that provides HDMI out.
Thanks, that might help those who for whatever reason can't screen mirror wirelessly over WIFI like I can with Miracast.

Thanks for sharing that !

Last edited:

GKL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A $50 kindle fire and TinycamPro is much simpler, and can be left running at all times.
Thanks for the idea, I already have an old 10 inch tablet that I usually don't use for anything else so I have the iVMS-4500 on it and have it running constantly with a live view from the camera and just turn it off when going to sleep at night. I also can quickly see a live feed on my windows phone using iVMS-4500 also.