Anyone Used Abode For Home Security?

Phrosty

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm currently in the process of wanting to setup a home security/automation system for my home and my parents. I'm not terribly concerned about the IP Cameras as Ill be running those on a seperate system altogether as I feel most home security systems lack in that department when compared to running your own seperate system.

Im curious if anyone here has used Abode for the home DIY setup? I've been reading a lot about it and it seems to come highly recommended.

I was looking at either the Abode or the Honeywell Lyric system and hoping someone can give some pros and cons of both.

One of the houses is about 3000 square feet while the other is about half the size. If you were setting up a new system, which route would you go?

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I would probably go with a Honeywell Lyric system, think its more flexible and future proof.
With Abode, you're tied to them. They may be great now, but who knows what the future holds? Some big corp may buy them up, and screw up everything.

With a Lyric, you can either self monitor, or pick pretty much any alarm monitor service. And Honeywell has been making alarm systems for a long time, don't expect anyone to buy them, or for them to stop making/supporting.

I have a older Honeywell Vista 20p panel, maybe 10 years old now. Still works fine, and can still buy any parts or pieces I want/need for it.

There are much smarter alarm guys than me here, but they probably haven't worked with Abode. If you asked about Lyric or Lynx, you'd probably get more responses.

Randy

Phrosty

n3wb
Reaction score
I would probably go with a Honeywell Lyric system, think its more flexible and future proof.
With Abode, you're tied to them. They may be great now, but who knows what the future holds? Some big corp may buy them up, and screw up everything.

With a Lyric, you can either self monitor, or pick pretty much any alarm monitor service. And Honeywell has been making alarm systems for a long time, don't expect anyone to buy them, or for them to stop making/supporting.

I have a older Honeywell Vista 20p panel, maybe 10 years old now. Still works fine, and can still buy any parts or pieces I want/need for it.

There are much smarter alarm guys than me here, but they probably haven't worked with Abode. If you asked about Lyric or Lynx, you'd probably get more responses.

Randy
Good point Randy, for some reason I had thought you were tied into a contract with the Lyric system as I think I can only buy them from Alarmgrid or another provider. I did like the fact that system was more open to not having to use specific hardware.