Anyone using an Amcrest IP4M-1083EW-AI (4MP Outdoor PTZ POE + IP Camera Pan Tilt Zoom (Optical 32x Motorized)

RifRaff13

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Has anyone actually played with this model? It's the 4MP Outdoor PTZ POE + IP Camera Pan Tilt Zoom (Optical 32x Motorized) UltraHD POE+ Camera Security Speed Dome, CMOS Image Sensor, 492ft Night Vision, POE+ (802.3at) IP67, 4MP unit.

I have a fence about 100Ft from my house, and vandals keep damaging it. I don't want to have cams on the fence as they too would get damaged I'm sure. I am looking at this cam as an option to be able to watch and ID the kids from a distance, but its rather spendy.

I use BI and don't think it directly supports any of the tracking features the cam claims to have, so might have to rely on the built in firmware. Just curious if anyone out there has used it, configured it with Blue Iris, and can review this for me. Again dropping about $900 on a single cam seems pretty crazy but it might be my best option.

Thanks
RifRaff

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You would be crazy to spend $900 on that camera.

For starters it is a 4MP on the 1/2.8" sensor, so it will be blind at night. That is a great sensor for a 2MP camera, but the 4MP would need double the light at night.

It doesn't appear to have autotracking?

You could get the cream of the crop of autotracking PTZs for half that and will blow the capabilities of that Amcrest out of the water.

The Dahua 49225 from @EMPIRETECANDY sells for $400 on his Amazon store, or you could wait until next week and get it for $370 during his spring sale.

But you have to purchase from @EMPIRETECANDY as the 49225 anywhere else does not have autotracking.

This camera works great with Blue Iris as well.

If you really want 4MP (which isn't needed and will struggle further out at dark), then you would want the SD5A425XA-HNR that is on the much better 1/1.8" sensor and is $750 and still better than the $900 Amcrest...

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

RifRaff13

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Looks like the SD49225XA-HNR is only 2MP. Does BI support the auto tracking or just the firmware? The price is better, and the frame rate is high for sure.

Have you actually used this or just specs?

Thanks
Rif

qflyer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Looks like the SD49225XA-HNR is only 2MP. Does BI support the auto tracking or just the firmware? The price is better, and the frame rate is high for sure.

Have you actually used this or just specs?

Thanks
Rif
I have a 49225 as do a lot of others on this forum. For what you’re wanting, it’s probably overkill, but it will absolutely do what you want it to do. Auto tracking is very good after a little bit of tweaking the settings. I use mine to keep an eye on my boat dock from about 100’ away and my neighbor’s dock from 250’ away.

I can read boat registration numbers in the day from 800’ away and 300’ at night with IR on. The auto tracking will keep fishermen in frame as they fish their way around my boat dock and I can read the brand name of the bait their using.
Buy the 49225. You’ll love it.

RifRaff13

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks Qflyer, think i will give it a try. I just hope to catch the face of the little vandals they keeps messing with my fence.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You will. This thing is a beast and 2MP is more than enough.

I have the 2MP and the 4MP and the range is better at night with the 2MP.

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If $900 is your budget, Andy has the 4MP 1/1.8" PTZ for under $800. His sale price - which ended last week - was $719 I think. I only know so well because I seriously thought of upgrading one of my 2MP 1/2.8" PTZ's.

RifRaff13

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well my budget is less then $900... but repair to the fence is climbing so. I think i will try the 2MP. Like most people here... I'm trying not to wake up dead! :0

Thanks Wittaj, its all about night vision. The tracking will let me see the whole fence and hopefully follow and zoom in on the kids, at least that's the hope.

RifRaff13

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm back! Got the 49225, its a beast! Is there other mounting options? I am looking to mount it straight down, vs wall mount 90 degree.

Thanks
Rif

RifRaff13

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK, Next question. I have it on the network, using BI5, but i don't find either Dahua or Loryta when setting it up. Any advice on configuration in BI5?

thanks
Rif

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You simply put in the IP address and username and password and hit find/inspect and let BI do its thing.

It will probably come up generic and that is fine - almost every one of my cameras come up as generic and they work just fine in BI.

You will then have to go down to the streams and manually select the substream from the drop down menu.

RifRaff13

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

I have almost 20 Cams in my system, almost all Amcrest. I use the specific make and model in the config mostly (although they don't list all models but the streams are the same etc) and run both main and sub streams on them. You don't seem like you are a fan on Amcrest, but they seem to work ok. I get 20fps off the 4k AI models (and 30fps off the older 2k ones) although again i dont think the AI actually does anything. I used to have them storing to a local FTP server when i used I-spy, prior to BI, but that was a pain for retrieval etc. I also have them all blocked on my firewall so they can't speak off-net. I do that with all IOT devices as a rule (and multiple network segments with zone to zone policies as well).

I was thinking there is a special config for this cam to use the auto tracking and zoom functions in BI, or is that all enabled directly in that cams configs?

I have only been using BI for a couple months, but is seems to be full of config tweaks. Took me a bunch of reading to figure out the way it uses sub streams for example. Anyway I am still learning BI's multitude of config options, so any advice for this new cam is always welcome and appreciated.

Side note, my wife almost killed me when she saw the size of this thing. She is use to my small ones and finally accepted them (hidden up under the eves for the most part) but was definitely unhappy about this one. I explained it's what we need to identify the "fence bandit" so she is accepting for now. The sooner i get it configured the better she will feel about it, i think... :).

Thanks again for your help!

Rif

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a few Amcrest, and Amcrest is made by Dahua, you are just paying for the Amcrest name with the particular PTZ that started this thread (and the PTZ you just got is far better and half the price!).

You do realize that anything more than 15FPS is a waste for surveillance, and many times running one of these cameras at the rated specs means that something gives, like AI detection is delayed or not working or some other component.

The AI in the Amcrest and Lorex (both made by Dahua) are usually watered down versions. Plus the 4k on the 1/2.8" sensor designed for a 2MP camera can make AI problematic. I assure you the AI on this PTZ is spot on.

BI is simple a VMS to record video and set up alerts and triggers. All camera settings are done in the camera GUI, although some functions like PTZ control can work in BI.

As far as setting up for tracking, here goes:

First use Internet Explorer as this camera more than most will not hold or show all settings in other browsers. You may not see all the settings in Chrome or Edge using the IE tab. It needs to be Explorer.

You will not see anything in the settings called AutoTrack.

You need to set up a preset.

Then you need to set-up the Smart Plan with Deep IVS for the presets you want to track.

Then select the object filters you want.

Then go to Deep IVS Rules Config page and you should see Track Time under alarm and Tracking Target size slider.

When setting up IVS rules, I strongly recommend you use intrusion box with appears and crosses instead of tripwire. And less is more. One IVS rule.

Leave min size as 0,0

Make sure that Motion Detection and Smart Motion Detection are turned off.

I repeat, make sure Motion Detection and Smart Motion Detection are turned off LOL.

1642468025497.png

RifRaff13

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey Wittaj,

Thanks! I have it configured although i don't have it mounted yet as we are having work done on the deck where this will be mounted and I want them finished first, to avoid them breaking it (my luck). Will post here once i do have it mounted and if I need more support. Thanks again for the help!

Rif

RifRaff13

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey Wittaj,

Well all my precursor type work has finally been completed. I configured the cam up this morning. It does not seem to catch or track anything yet. I have confirmed motion and smart motion are unchecked. Question, you said min size 0 * 0, but in your pic only max size it enabled. Should it be min size selected? I also changed tracking target size to min 10.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Dave

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nope you leave min size as 0,0 and let AI do it's thing.

Post some screenshots of your settings. If it is not tracking then you have a setting wrong somewhere.

Last edited: