Appearance of a camera's date and time overlay

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Currently I have both Hikvision and Dahua cameras feeding into my Hikvision NVR. The Dahua camera's overlay is all white and clearer to read, the Hikvisions' are a mixture of black and white figures which seems to depend on the background. Actually this feature makes the figures less easily readable, probably not what Hikvision intended. If the Hikvision cameras' overlay figures were all white they probably would be easier to read.

Is there an OSD (on screen display) setting which helps, transparent, flashing or what?

By the way, if I use BI, are the recommendations for handling a camera's date and time overlay any different?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there an OSD (on screen display) setting which helps, transparent, flashing or what?
Not that I've played with these settings - but on the face of it there is a lot of flexibility.
Disclaimer - some of the available settings may be firmware version dependant - but I'm pretty sure the transparent / flashing options have been there for a while.

upload_2019-4-1_19-16-24.png

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not sure about Hikvision, but in my Dahua cameras web interface you can change the position, size and colour of the time/date overlay. This is done by logging into each camera's interface.

No different with BI. You still want the camera producing the overlay, as when you write direct to disk any BI overlay would be missing as it doesn't re-encode the stream.

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks, and a general thanks to having IPCT here.
I can see how to alter the date and time overlay on my Hikvision cameras, it's mainly for one camera because of the background image. My Dahua camera has white figures with what appears to be a hint of black borders around the figures, and probably is less dependent on the background shading.