Archiving not deleting clips

Hwinter

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm running Blue Iris on a Windows 7 VM, where I want to monitor the "NEW folder" (Local Hard Drive) to have up to 60G. However, once the recording reach 60G, it looks like it is moving the files to my "Storage Folder" (NAS), but it is not deleting the old files, thus my HD keeps filling up. I tried both options:
- Limit Size 60GB
- Do NOT monitor Free Space/Limit clip age 7 days
But still same result... New Folder keeps filling up (ad files are older than 7 days)
Blue Iris New Config.JPGblue iris Stored.JPG

Any ideas? I tried re-gen DB, same result. I deleted all files from the new folder, re-gen.... let it monitor the folder, but after a few weeks it exceeds the size again. FYI 80G is about 3 weeks of data, so 7 days would not even get close to 60G!

Last edited by a moderator:

Madmonkey

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm running Blue Iris on a Windows 7 VM, where I want to monitor the "NEW folder" (Local Hard Drive) to have up to 60G. However, once the recording reach 60G, it looks like it is moving the files to my "Storage Folder" (NAS), but it is not deleting the old files, thus my HD keeps filling up. I tried both options:
- Limit Size 60GB
- Do NOT monitor Free Space/Limit clip age 7 days
But still same result... New Folder keeps filling up (ad files are older than 7 days)
View attachment 10900View attachment 10901

Any ideas? I tried re-gen DB, same result. I deleted all files from the new folder, re-gen.... let it monitor the folder, but after a few weeks it exceeds the size again. FYI 80G is about 3 weeks of data, so 7 days would not even get close to 60G!
Did you ever figure this out? I've been manually deleting old files and rebuilding the db. All the sizes I specified were less than my drive size.

I just blew cash on a big ssd for my archive folder instead of the nas but I'm not sure yet if it will fix the problem.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Did you ever figure this out? I've been manually deleting old files and rebuilding the db. All the sizes I specified were less than my drive size.

I just blew cash on a big ssd for my archive folder instead of the nas but I'm not sure yet if it will fix the problem.
An SSD will not have any effect on BI deleting files. In the cameras record tab make sure "protect (read only)" is set to NO.

Madmonkey

n3wb
Reaction score
An SSD will not have any effect on BI deleting files. In the cameras record tab make sure "protect (read only)" is set to NO.
Of course - I use SSDs because I want to keep the camera system quiet, fast, and low power. None of the cameras are set to Protect (read only) == true.

I think the root of the problem that I'm running into is that I can't tell if/when a new storage quota is applied or enforced. I wanted to tweak each directory size until I could get the retention I would like.

Originally I had the new, alerts, and storage on D: (60GB). I set the size of each so that the sum wouldn't exceed 60GB. I eventually ran out of space, so I pulled the quotas back to use roughly 40GB. I set up Aux 1/2 as folders on the file server, and set it to move files from alerts/storage to aux 1/2. When the file server went down in a power outage, those folders quickly filled up since they couldn't be flushed to aux1/2 and it stopped recording.

My new strategy is to have enough storage to keep ~1-2 weeks of recordings on the SSD in case I lose the file server for a day or two. Yesterday, I moved storage to the new SSD (480GB on E:). I waited several minutes, and no files moved over, so I manually moved the storage folder over from D: to E:, then rebuilt the database

Today - I'm getting errors again. It's moving files, but I don't know which policy is causing them to move so I can't tell what's going on. Where things get really weird is that it says I'm overprovisioned on E: by -13.6 GB?

2 6/21/2016 9:40:07 PM Clips E:: 19, 43.8G/400.0G (-13.6G)
0 6/21/2016 9:45:08 PM Clips New: moving 2 files 3.42G [9/168, 20822/20480, 40571]

At this point, I don't feel like I understand how this should be working at all. My end goal is that I want continuous recording from 2 cameras for at least 7 days. I want alerts to be kept longer 21 to 30 days as long as its within the disk quota. I don't need the continuous recording past ~7 days.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You cannot keep alerts longer than the actual recording. Alerts are simply pointers to the recording. Dont use a day limit. Simple set a size limit.
The database scan that moves files occurs every 5 minuets.

Madmonkey

n3wb
Reaction score
You cannot keep alerts longer than the actual recording. Alerts are simply pointers to the recording. Dont use a day limit. Simple set a size limit.
The database scan that moves files occurs every 5 minuets.
ok, so if I wanted to use all 480GB, how would you recommend that? Turn archive off, set alerts to 0, and new to 480GB?