Are advanced camera features (AI) used if using camera with BI?

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm reading this forum for a few months now and already bought used Dell OptiPlex 3060 (i5 8500, 8 GB DDR4, 258 GB m.2) which will be used to run Blue Iris for - as currently planned - 6 to 8 cameras (still deciding on FOV and 2/4/5 MP).

I was browsing Andy's (@EMPIRETECANDY) AliExpress shop and compared two cameras (I don't know if Andy can supply any Dahua camera or only ones in his store):

1. 2019 New Model Pro-AI SeriesActive Deterrence IPC-T5541H-AS-PV 5MP WDR IR Eyeball AI Network Camera
This one has fixed lenses but it has more features - it is Pro-AI series with Abandoned/Missing Object detection, Heatmap, ...​

2. New Arriving Model IPC-T3541T-ZAS 5MP Starlight Lite AI IR Vari-focal Eyeball Network Camera
This one has varifocal lenses but has fewer features (Lite-AI)​

This got me thinking - are any of the advanced features integrated in the camera actually used if you use them with BI? As example even Motion Detection - does BI utilize this as a camera feature or uses strictly its own and the only important/used thing by the BI is the video stream?

Citing the Cliff Notes
- Blue Iris Information:
Blue Iris has advanced motion detection, but can also support in-camera motion detection from cameras supporting ONVIF.
- Event Triggers:
Dahua features Intelligent Video Systems (IVS), which and is an event triggering system (intrusion, tripwire, abandoned object, missing object, etc.). The signal is a proprietary command and connection methodology between the camera and NVR, so it only works with Dahua NVR’s.
Searching for "lite-ai" here doesn't seem to work properly, but I searched for "blue iris camera features" and found some mixed answers...

TL;DR: Considering limited budged for cameras (e.g. 150€ per camera), is it better to focus on "stupid" camera with good optics and related features (varifocal, big sensor, WDR, Smart IR) and leave all detection/advanced features to BI, or should I anyway choose some compromise (e.g. Lite-AI, Pro-AI)?

Thank you!

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It depend on how you configuration of your system. You can use the information collected and processed by the camera to generate a trigger / alert in BI. You can use BI to just record the video, and not do any motion detection. BI is highly reconfigurable in that regard.

I have simple cameras, i started with motion detection processing in the cameras. Then switched to motion detection in BI.

I would stick with good optic cameras.

More megapixel is not necessarily better.
Camera Sensor size, bigger is general better Sensor Size Chart
Camera lens size, a bigger number give more range but less field of view. Which Security Camera Lens Size Should I Buy?

IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED . Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
.................... Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED review
IPC-T5442TM-AS ..... Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-HDW5442-ZE ..... Dahua IPC-HDW5442T-ZE 4MP Varifocal Turret - Night Perfomance testing -- variable focus 4 MP Starlight
IPC-B5442E-ZE ...... Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+

Reaction score
You can reach andy here @EMPIRETECANDY, he will answer your questions. Also ask him to send you a list of refurbished cameras, i buy some cameras from his refurbished list which saves me money on more expensive cameras. As a matter of fact i bought all 4 of my PTZ cameras from a refurbished list at great prices and they do just what i need. Good luck and when you start your build post the progress.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
I would also try Ancotech CCTV a few members have purchased from these with super fast delivery and very competitive prices compared to other Chinese sellers.

Tonic27

n3wb
Reaction score
are any of the advanced features integrated in the camera actually used if you use them with BI? As example even Motion Detection - does BI utilize this as a camera feature or uses strictly its own and the only important/used thing by the BI is the video stream?
@bojanpotocnik Did you end up finding out about this? I'm stuck with the same question and can't seem to get a straight answer anywhere. Is anyone using on-camera AI with Blue Iris?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
@bojanpotocnik Did you end up finding out about this? I'm stuck with the same question and can't seem to get a straight answer anywhere. Is anyone using on-camera AI with Blue Iris?
Quite a few are using the IVS feature of cams to then trigger an alert in BI.

I myself asked about this for my 5231-ze cams to try and eliminate false alerts but I’ve not got round to testing yet.

Reaction score
Thank you for you answers, afterwards I stopped caring about this, because there is too much choice and I could never make a decision if I keep my engineering + overthinking attitude.

With the help of SouthernYankee's post and Arjun's post posts I decided I will most probably buy combination of @EMPIRETECANDY cameras: IPC-T5442TM-AS, IPC-B5442E-ZE (I think it is slightly better than turret version IPC-T5442T-ZE) and IPC-B5442E-Z4E. Currently I'm searching the forum for EU shipping options, because if I order from outside EU, I will pay additional 42% to our customs (22% when ordering more than 21 € + additional 20% when more than 120 €) :(

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you for you answers, afterwards I stopped caring about this, because there is too much choice and I could never make a decision if I keep my engineering + overthinking attitude.

With the help of SouthernYankee's post and Arjun's post posts I decided I will most probably buy combination of @EMPIRETECANDY cameras: IPC-T5442TM-AS, IPC-B5442E-ZE (I think it is slightly better than turret version IPC-T5442T-ZE) and IPC-B5442E-Z4E. Currently I'm searching the forum for EU shipping options, because if I order from outside EU, I will pay additional 42% to our customs (22% when ordering more than 21 € + additional 20% when more than 120 €) :(
Email Andy direct, and he can advise you about the import duties, he has ways. :)
FYI: Yes, I'm using the AI tripwires for human only detection, and it triggers BI to record via ONVIF. Works great.

S0619212

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Email Andy direct, and he can advise you about the import duties, he has ways. :)
FYI: Yes, I'm using the AI tripwires for human only detection, and it triggers BI to record via ONVIF. Works great.
Where do u enable AI feature? Is that directly on camera UI or BI?

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score

Unfortunately customs and Import duties are inevitable and I have ALWAYS been stung with the duties from anything from China so don't assume you won't unless you ask the seller if any duties are bound they will pick up the bill.
Also things to consider is returns to China is VERY expensive and most times best to buy local with not only would you have a full local warranty but also be supporting your business community.

Reaction score
@ljw2k thanks to @EMPIRETECANDY's wizardry, I have just received 1x IPC-T5442T-ZE + 1x IPC-B5442E-ZE + 1x IPC-T5442TM-AS (for testing, to check which fixed-focal lens are the best, then I order 6 more) in one week with DHL without paying anything additionally or package stopping at customs. I got email from DHL on Tuesday that package will be delivered today - I couldn't believe it until I actually received it today. Pleasingly shocked.

Now I wait for few U-POE-af (I forgot that the power supply does not come with cameras), then I configure them and report back about my original question. Thanks everyone for help and tips so far!