Are dome camera covers replaceable?

cuz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello, I’m replacing an old cctv system in my business with a Dahua NVR and IP cameras. I’m stuck at the dome vs turret question. Yes, I’ve done the searches and know that generally turrets are better in almost all circumstances. But, in one indoor location i will have about a dozen ceiling mounted cameras and it’s a bit dusty. The ceilings are 10 ft high. It’s relatively easy to have an employee go around weekly with a long duster and dust off the cameras. However, it’s possible that the plastic external lens could get scratched. I was wondering if a dome camera would be better in case the dome gets scratched up can it be easily replaced? Is the same true for a turret Camera? Cameras are mostly needed for during the daytime when all the lights are on. I will have others for nighttime monitoring.

Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello, I’m replacing an old cctv system in my business with a Dahua NVR and IP cameras. I’m stuck at the dome vs turret question. Yes, I’ve done the searches and know that generally turrets are better in almost all circumstances. But, in one indoor location i will have about a dozen ceiling mounted cameras and it’s a bit dusty. The ceilings are 10 ft high. It’s relatively easy to have an employee go around weekly with a long duster and dust off the cameras. However, it’s possible that the plastic external lens could get scratched. I was wondering if a dome camera would be better in case the dome gets scratched up can it be easily replaced? Is the same true for a turret Camera? Cameras are mostly needed for during the daytime when all the lights are on. I will have others for nighttime monitoring.

Thanks.
you are over thinking it..
they are generally not available for replacement..

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
However, it’s possible that the plastic external lens could get scratched.
It's a glass lens cover, not the lens itself.
A long duster or brush isn't going to bother it. That's certainly my experience.
Unlike an acrylic dome which is soft enough to get scratched with any grit the brush / duster has picked up.

adamg

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I don't think you will ever find replacement dome covers, but if you could find them for sale, they are easy to replace.