Are Hikvision cameras sensitive to no-glow IR lights ?

Rollo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Are Hikvision cameras sensitive to no-glow IR lights ?

I'm thinking of putting up a couple of IR lights to supplement the on-camera IR and don't would like to limit the number of glowing red lights I have on my house.

I appreciate that no-glow aren't as good in terms of distance compared to regular IR.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hehehe the question is, is one of those $400 illuminators as effective as a $40 one with 850nm LEDs?

Using just 7 watts, I can't see how it possibly could be.

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, LOL. The more expensive illuminators have more powerful 1 and 2W LEDs but working with 940nm IR wavelength is not as good. People on the forums have tried and not been happy with 940nm thinking the camera is not sensitive but one person made his own with 2W high quality LEDs and had a very good picture with I believe 3-4 LEDs, don't remember, at least as good as what the camera put out with it's built in illuminators.

I think there's a big void between the cheap stuff you see on Amazon or eBay for $15 that breaks in a few weeks and the expensive Raytec and Axton stuff that's pricy. Maybe something well made for $50-70 range or at least under $100 that doesn't compromise the materials used. I keep looking for the holy grail of IR illumination at trade shows, buying them and testing them, will post as soon as I find it. It's like home LED bulbs. A few years ago, you paid $60 for a simple bulb and it was lousy, now you get very good LED bulbs for $10.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I've been lucky with my 2x CMvision IR30 and 1x IR50 from Amazon. They were cheap yet they are still working 18 months after installing them.

Yes, I agree home LED bulbs have come a long way. I am mostly converted to LED bulbs now but I'm still waiting for the 100w equivalent (1600 lumen) LEDs to shrink and become cheaper before I replace the last of my CFLs in the bathrooms.

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The brightest I've seen are the Costco inserts that go in a can, used a bunch of them in rentals but they are 120W and insanely bright and have to pair that with a dimmer, but in the bathroom that typically has only one can, it really lit-up the shower/toilet area nicely. Best part is they are super cheap, forgot the price but about $25. They are a nice white light, but not to blueish but whiter than an incandescent for sure.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I installed those Costco units for my folks in the basement, and in one walk in closet. They are very bright and are 3000k in color. I originally bought them in NJ for about 25 a pop, but my dad found them in NY Costco for 18. Since we were using about 20 of them, i returned mine and had him buy them locally as the difference was $240. I believe this is the one you are talking about

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Those are rated at 840 lumen while the Costco ones are 1200.

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, those are the ones from Costco, very bright and haven't had one fail, but it's still fairly new. Now why can't the make one just like that with IR bulbs for $25.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, those are the ones from Costco, very bright and haven't had one fail, but it's still fairly new. Now why can't the make one just like that with IR bulbs for $25.
The twenty or so we installed have been running great as well....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Fyi, the new version (same specs, slightly different trim design) is now on sale for 15 in New Jersey...IMG_20140812_193838232_HDR.jpg

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wow, that's almost free. That is one thing I hate about these LED lights. They come out with a new design and what if one out of twenty fails, now you have to replace 20 to make them all match, not only in trim design, but light output, color, spread? I know the answer because I did that. We have 10 in our kitchen area, one failed after a year, couldn't get another of the same from Home Depot, had to yank them out and put another brand.