Are my cameras being hacked

Reaction score
I have a 2231 Z

Every evening red lights come on in the alley camera; when I stand in front and look the red lights go off.

What is more concerning is, I turned the camera off after that incident but it happened again regardless (i.e. without being switched on) The red lights go on but when I look in to it, the red lights go off. Can cameras that are offline be hacked?

I've also tried to set up protection via the router but I couldn't view my cameras on the cam viewer without internet access.

Is there a step by step dummies guide for how to secure my cameras?

Thanks for your help

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a 2231 Z

Every evening red lights come on in the alley camera; when I stand in front and look the red lights go off.

What is more concerning is, I turned the camera off after that incident but it happened again regardless (i.e. without being switched on) The red lights go on but when I look in to it, the red lights go off. Can cameras that are offline be hacked?

I've also tried to set up protection via the router but I couldn't view my cameras on the cam viewer without internet access.

Is there a step by step dummies guide for how to secure my cameras?

Thanks for your help
you used two vpns to sign up and post. yet you claim not to know how a camera works. Nice try. Go screw with someone else.

Reaction score
I have vpn on my devices and they auto connect, but that’s computers. I joined to ask any experts and am concerned.

Appreciate any tips. Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have vpn on my devices and they auto connect, but that’s computers. I’m not posting out of boredom or making this up. I joined to ask any experts and am concerned.

Appreciate any tips. Thanks.
It is definitely hacked by expert Chinese or Russians. I know for certain they have the technology to power a camera remotely by satellite. The satellite also transmits and receives data so the cameras are never really offline. That is why disconnecting it did not help. Its basically wireless POE. Very cool stuff. All hush hush. They use the red light (a big giveaway, because no modern camera emits any kind of light), to penetrate your brain and recover any state secrets you may have stored. Just for fun, I hacked your camera as well. You need a haircut.

Reaction score
It is definitely hacked by expert Chinese or Russians. I know for certain they have the technology to power a camera remotely by satellite. The satellite also transmits and receives data so the cameras are never really offline. That is why disconnecting it did not help. They use the red light (a big giveaway, because no modern camera emits any kind of light), to penetrate your brain and recover any state secrets you may have stored. Just for fun, I hacked your camera as well. You need a haircut.
Please be kind.

If anyone else can help that’d be great. I presume fenderman is pissed off at me for some reason??? But I’m hoping this is some humor I don’t yet understand.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Please be kind.

If anyone else can help that’d be great. I presume fenderman is pissed off at me for some reason??? But I’m hoping this is some humor I don’t yet understand.
Its not humor or funny. I am giving you my expert opinion. How else can you explain the red light operating despite the camera being disconnected?

Reaction score
Its not humor or funny. I am giving you my expert opinion. How else can you explain the red light operating despite the camera being disconnected?
I’m confused too. Ok so there is no way it would happen if disconnected is what I’m reading from your post with inferred sarcasm.

What about if connected fenderman? Do the dahuas emit a red light? I can’t see it on the other cams.

I also tried to block internet access but couldn’t use dahuas camera viewer. This whole exercise is a little stressful. Wondering if you’re should have just other cams people rave about given my level of know how

Reaction score
Also you may think I’m stupid but yes I’m a newbie. Bought cameras based on reading reviews here and completely out of my depth but ffs please be a little kinder to the dumb newbie

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m confused too. Ok so there is no way it would happen if disconnected is what I’m reading from your post with inferred sarcasm.

What about if connected fenderman? Do the dahuas emit a red light? I can’t see it on the other cams.

I also tried to block internet access but couldn’t use dahuas camera viewer. This whole exercise is a little stressful. Wondering if you’re should have just used these Wyze cams people rave about.
Google IR LIGHT!!!!!
wyze is crap. With technical skill you need to be using ring or nest. Also stop wasting money on your paid vpn service, its does nothing for you except slow down your internet connection.

Reaction score
Google IR LIGHT!!!!!
wyze is crap. With technical skill you need to be using ring or nest. Also stop wasting money on your paid vpn service, its does nothing for you except slow down your internet connection.
Ok I’ll check my Poe switch tomorrow. I thought I had disconnected that cam. Which is why I was concerned that the red light was still coming on. But if there is no way then I have some unknown issue,.,

I’ll report back.

I read vpn is recommended for browsing?

Re Wyze yeah I guess I’m just speaking to how i need help and it’s frustrating, I tried to block the internet access from my router but couldn’t view the cameras. If I could pay someone to help with set up I would, that’s how stupid I already feel

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok I’ll check my Poe switch tomorrow. I thought I had disconnected that cam. Which is why I was concerned that the red light was still coming on. But if there is no way then I have some unknown issue,.,

I’ll report back.

Re Wyze yeah I guess I’m just speaking to how i need help and it’s frustrating, I tried to bland do internet access from my router but couldn’t view the cameras. If I could pay someone to help with set up I would, that’s how stupid I already feel
see securing your network in the wiki
the vpn you are paying for is useless and a waste of money.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That sounds like the camera's SmartIR feature. SmartIR adjusts the level of IR based on how close someone is standing to the camera. The closer they get, less IR is required to illuminate them. As the camera adjusts the IR levels, the brightness of the red lights (which are the IR emitters) will change.

That's subjective. Some folks won't use the Internet without it, but I'd say most folks don't bother with it. Either way, that type of VPN is not the type that you would use to remotely access your network.

IMO the first post in the thread below is worth a read. I think it'll answer most high-level questions about the type of VPN needed for you to access your cameras when you're out of the house.
VPN Primer for Noobs

As long as you haven't gone into your router and enabled port forwarding (or enabled the uPNP feature on the cameras which allows the cameras to configure your router to enable port forwarding), it's virtually impossible anyone can get through your firewall to access (i.e. hack) your cameras.