Are there other brands similar to Starlight in minimum lux req?

subkelvin

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm in need of two cams to my front house and I'm thinking to go for some dahua starlight cams, maybe the cheaper 4231 model since those extra dollars plus my country taxes will eat my budget.
Are there alternatives from other brands to consider? I've been told that Hikvision make nice cams and maybe other brands too.

Also there's much improvement using a starlight cam in a front house with some street lights around, like 10-20m, I really don't know the lux level here but my current cheap chinese analog cams see too much noise so I don't know if I should try some branded cam first to check or pay the extra money for the starlight.

Thanks!

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm in need of two cams to my front house and I'm thinking to go for some dahua starlight cams, maybe the cheaper 4231 model since those extra dollars plus my country taxes will eat my budget.
Are there alternatives from other brands to consider? I've been told that Hikvision make nice cams and maybe other brands too.

Also there's much improvement using a starlight cam in a front house with some street lights around, like 10-20m, I really don't know the lux level here but my current cheap chinese analog cams see too much noise so I don't know if I should try some branded cam first to check or pay the extra money for the starlight.

Thanks!
Order one cam to test, it's not like it's gonna suck, between everyone here that owns them I've never heard one complaint and seen tons of good reviews, I've got 3 more coming soon.

subkelvin

n3wb
Reaction score
Thats what I'm about to do, only need a few more days of research and to contact the brazilian distributor to check prices here vs direct import from China. I've also not heard any complains about it only good things. Just checking if there's alternatives from other good brands :)

I saw this one from Gadinan that looks similar: Gadinan Star Grade 0.0001Lux Superb Ultra low Illumination 1.3MP SONY IMX225 / 2MP SONY IMX291 Outdoor IP Camera Metal Outdoor-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
And this one from Boavision 2MP Bullet Starlight IP Camera Outdoor 1080P POE 1/2.8"IMX291 0.0001Lux Low Lux Day/Night Color Image CCTV Camera,3.6MM Lens-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Just never saw this brands before and couldn't find some reviews to check the quality, from what I learnt cams aren't just electronics theres the lens and also the body materials to a long term quality.

They are presented as 0.0001 lux. It seems too much to me, but by using the IMX from Sony it may be good too.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
those lux ratings are bullshit; they are giving you a lux for F1.2 and I guarantee you those fixed lens's are nowhere near that.. likely F2.0