Are these intrusions or uninvited guests?

petere10

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
uPNP is OFF on the router. The only access set up is the web server through BI. Is that a problem? The only DIRECT access to the internet is on a different sub-net range through WiFi, and the cameras don't even go through the router. I'm a bit mystified.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
The first IP is out of Taiwan and the 2nd is out of Italy. I would say you probably came up in a portscan because you have exposed your setup on the Internet. You must have ports opened up that are facilitating this. You should look into VPN access and closing up those ports.

petere10

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I get the first IP address out of the Netherlands...

BI exposes port 81.....

I just disabled external IP access for BI. See if that makes a change

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Use a VPN. If you use port forwarding, port 81 in B, you're opening your whole network up to anyone with a inclination to look for open ports and networks. Use a VPN, the port is protected with 128 bit, or 256 bit, encryption.

petere10

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Use a VPN. If you use port forwarding, port 81 in B, you're opening your whole network up to anyone with a inclination to look for open ports and networks. Use a VPN, the port is protected with 128 bit, or 256 bit, encryption.
This is my router
1580777950367.png

There's no port forwarding entries ???

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You're still leaving port 81 OPEN to the outside world to attach to you're PC. Port 81 is in the range and BI is listening on that port, it hears (gets) a request and they're in, nice and cozy like a bug in a rug.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Google grc shields up and run the common ports scan from their site and see what the report shows for open ports.

petere10

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You're still leaving port 81 OPEN to the outside world to attach to you're PC. Port 81 is in the range and BI is listening on that port, it hears (gets) a request and they're in, nice and cozy like a bug in a rug.
I did mention that I just deleted my external IP address from BI web server. I would assume that BI will now only serve to my local IP addresses?? Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm happy to PM my external IP to you if you can help me understand this.
Thanks
Pete

If BI web server is THAT VULNERABLE, why include it?

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
It's not the webserver that is vulnerable, it's the fact that you exposed it to the Internet which makes you vulnerable to scans/probes from others on the Internet. If you would like to view BI remotely, look at the wiki and read the VPN primer and look into setting up a VPN.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Any web server has the same vulnerabilities. Normally a web server is behind some form of firewall and monitored, to some degree, to make sure that attacks are seen quickly and stopped.

petere10

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Google grc shields up and run the common ports scan from their site and see what the report shows for open ports.
Great site
1. Target site (my router) actively rejected uPNP probes
2. 80 / 81 and 443 are open
3. Port 139 does not appear to exist and unable to connect to NetBios

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Great site
1. Target site (my router) actively rejected uPNP probes
2. 80 / 81 and 443 are open
3. Port 139 does not appear to exist and unable to connect to NetBios
OK - there is your answer. Those ports are open somehow. You need to look into why that is on your router/firewall.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Ports are opened for the purposes of remote access, inbound not access outbound from your network. Closing that up will not affect your ability to surf the Internet.

d.lux

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There are consumer grade routers coming out with active firewalls/AV stuff now...

I want to say Netgears' interface looks clean, alas they want to charge for it...

I know the TPLink stuff is free, but if you want to get into the nitty gritty, pick up a pfSense box...

Pretty cool stuff....