Are these threads only for IP system questions or can you guys answer this question?

Bryan478

n3wb
Reaction score
I was looking into getting an IP NVR System but came across HD-SDI which has some perks over IP. I've seen the latency problem with IP but I don't know if it applies to me. My scenario... Starting a small business and looking to install 4 cameras at startup and up to 8 camera total in the near future. Length of cable for each camera should be no longer than 40-50ft. Would like to keep my budget around $1000-1500 for NVR/DVR and 4 cameras. Which should i go with IP or HD-SDI.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I was looking into getting an IP NVR System but came across HD-SDI which has some perks over IP. I've seen the latency problem with IP but I don't know if it applies to me. My scenario... Starting a small business and looking to install 4 cameras at startup and up to 8 camera total in the near future. Length of cable for each camera should be no longer than 40-50ft. Would like to keep my budget around $1000-1500 for NVR/DVR and 4 cameras. Which should i go with IP or HD-SDI.
I've been told the analogue cams are better but not sure why

milkisbad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
HD SDI has been discontinued among major vendors, the current replacement options are AHD, HD TVI, HD CVI, good if you already have coax installed. But if it is a new install I would go with IP too.

Deali

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I started to test AHD. I had 2 AHD cams with 1080p and a DVR. The pictures have not been so good like the pictures from my Sony 1080p IP boards. The AHD was not so colorfull. Motion detection was very sensitive but that depends on the DVR. I had many false alarms and that is bad! I not even took pictures because they were so awfull. I decided not to go any further into Coax.
If you want an easy setup then go for a 8 channel NVR with integrated PoE, so you need only one cable and no powersupply for each camera.
Will you watch your buisines inside only or also outside.
You have a good amount of cash, so i would go and buy everything from Dahua - sorry- from one vendor. In this case you set it up and you don´t have to worry about the whole installation.
Invest only in H.265 technology, it will be the future.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Anyone deploying coaxal cables in 2017 should be kicked in the nuts then fired.... out of a cannon.
This was from a company that installs cameras out in california, I have zero desire to use analog but I thought it was interesting that they said it.

Deali

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I forgot to tell you, if you go IP, buy good network equipment. Cat.6 cable is a must. I have to change some of my cables and it is pain. And i thougth at that times: i will not be up on the roof again...

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I forgot to tell you, if you go IP, buy good network equipment. Cat.6 cable is a must. I have to change some of my cables and it is pain. And i thougth at that times: i will not be up on the roof again...
Explain why you have to change them? If I were buying new cables I would buy cat6, but there is absolutely no problem with cat5e and I highly doubt you will own a camera any time soon that can saturate it. :p

ldasilva

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
cat5e should be just fine if already installed

if not installed then get cat6
i will run untill i run out of cat5e cable

Bryan478

n3wb
Reaction score
I started to test AHD. I had 2 AHD cams with 1080p and a DVR. The pictures have not been so good like the pictures from my Sony 1080p IP boards. The AHD was not so colorfull. Motion detection was very sensitive but that depends on the DVR. I had many false alarms and that is bad! I not even took pictures because they were so awfull. I decided not to go any further into Coax.
If you want an easy setup then go for a 8 channel NVR with integrated PoE, so you need only one cable and no powersupply for each camera.
Will you watch your buisines inside only or also outside.
You have a good amount of cash, so i would go and buy everything from Dahua - sorry- from one vendor. In this case you set it up and you don´t have to worry about the whole installation.
Invest only in H.265 technology, it will be the future.
Wow a lot of good advice thanks guys. I will be using the first 4 cameras (4mp... 2.8mm or 4mm) inside. Then 2 of the next 4 will be exterior over watch of the front and rear entrances. I might dedicate 1 of the second set of 4 cameras to over watch the parking lot exits to catch license plates. This camera will be high resolution 8mp+ and 8mm - 12mm lens depending on field of view. So in conclusion correct me if I'm wrong but i will need a NVR that supports up to 8mp and supports lets say 16 channel so the hardware will be "overkill" for these 8 cameras and i can always add more cameras as well or should i just do 8 channel. Also run Cat6 (shielded or UTP?) since it will be no more than 200ft of cable to start with and 500ft future total. Side note which is better Hikvision or Dahua and should i buy from aliexpress.com ( i heard a lot of the cameras are the same just re-branded and can be bought whole sale price from aliexpress.com) feel free to throw your opinions about the hardware choices and also any recommendations on what NVR and cameras to buy. I want white dome cameras inside and prefer black dome exterior but will do bullet.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow a lot of good advice thanks guys. I will be using the first 4 cameras (4mp... 2.8mm or 4mm) inside. Then 2 of the next 4 will be exterior over watch of the front and rear entrances. I might dedicate 1 of the second set of 4 cameras to over watch the parking lot exits to catch license plates. This camera will be high resolution 8mp+ and 8mm - 12mm lens depending on field of view. So in conclusion correct me if I'm wrong but i will need a NVR that supports up to 8mp and supports lets say 16 channel so the hardware will be "overkill" for these 8 cameras and i can always add more cameras as well or should i just do 8 channel. Also run Cat6 since it will be no more than 200ft of cable to start with and 500ft future total. Side note which is better Hikvision or Dahua and should i buy from aliexpress.com ( i heard a lot of the cameras are the same just re-branded and can be bought whole sale price from aliexpress.com) feel free to throw your opinions about the hardware choices and also any recommendations on what NVR and cameras to buy. I want white dome cameras inside and prefer black dome exterior but will do bullet.
Dont buy bullets...use turrets.
for good low light performance see the dahua starlight turret thread..

Bryan478

n3wb
Reaction score
Dont buy bullets...use turrets.
for good low light performance see the dahua starlight turret thread..
so dahua over hikvision. and turret camera only for the exterior or interior as well? also why turret over bullet? just for low light visibility reasons?

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
its a specific dahua camera..they are not all the same..start reading and learning.
There is a bullet version of the starlight, and it has advantages, like twice as many IR emitters, audio in and out, alarm in and out, he should get what will fit his application best. Nothing wrong with bullets outside.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There is a bullet version of the starlight, and it has advantages, like twice as many IR emitters, audio in and out, alarm in and out, he should get what will fit his application best. Nothing wrong with bullets outside.
The bullet version of this camera is different than the bullets with many IR around the lens..they should never be used...the turrets have better vandal resistance, look better and are more resistant to spider webs then the bullet version of this camera...dahua gives both cameras the same IR rating...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
let the location pick the camera; not the camera pick the location.. both have advantages and disadvantages; but generally for residential applications looks are important, and the turrets just look better and blend in easier.. from any appreciable distance they could just be accent lighting fixtures, where as the bullet is unmistakably a friggin security camera.. several times the physical size of the turret.

The WAF score is higher for the turret than the bullet; and that that has a heavy skewing effect.. performance is the same between em.