Arecont Vision

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Anyone every heard of this brand? Municipality where I work my second job purchased a bunch of these for public parks and various other facilities. They are using these and various HikVision models but I've never heard of this brand. Anyone have any experience with them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brad_C

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, they've been around for years. Mostly re-branding cheaper stuff and trying to up-sell it.
I did an eval on one of their 180 degree cameras back in 2010 which turned out to be 4 very average vga cameras stuck together in a big dome. All very special if you were using their viewer software but useless when poked into a VMS. I've not tested their stuff in 6 years but kinda kept tabs on what they are doing.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ya I'm less then impressed. Especially with the domes. IR bleed is severe. PTZ is ok but I've seen better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes, been around a while but I am less than impressed with their stuff myself. I attended a conference a few months back where they were giving a class on the product and they were worried about Hik you could tell. They were bashing the "cheap" cams and vendors who install it were moaning about losing all the business to the Hik installers. Literally next door Hik had a class too. Much more positive, their big issue and installer complaint was growing too fast to give good support to installers.

AV also had some major reliability issues a while back and they are still overcoming those issues in the industry. That left a bad reputation for a while. They are VERY high margin product so that is what they are offering installers, sell a $1800 camera that actual cost on is $800. Sell that camera by saying yes, it is expensive; but it can replace 6 cheaper cameras! Yeah, not in real life usually.

Also many of the fancy cameras only do 2fps. Yes, they sell a 3mp camera for $1200 that can only do 2fps. No thanks!

They have some neat designs and ideas, but I think the Hik competition is killing them. Imagine trying to sell a 20 camera system to someone where the 20 cameras alone are $20,000! Or Hikvision for $2500. Ouch. You can tell there is high margin in AV as if you can register a big deal like that they will fly you and your customer out to their headquarters on their dime to help make a deal.